New alternator dead battery - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > New alternator dead battery

WJ Tube Doors Now Available!*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 09-01-2011, 08:27 AM   #1
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

New alternator dead battery

I just replaced the factory alternator with an autozone one due to bad bearings and now I have constantly had a dead battery. I jumped it yesterday and it started right up but was dead again a few hours later. I put the original alternator back in and tried to jump it this morning. The motor started up but would not stay on. I put it in neutral and tried again with the same results. Then I hear this rapid clicking sound coming from under the passenger side floor area with the key out of the ignition. I tried to start it again but it sounded like a misfire and the exhaust smelled funny, like it was rich. I used the key fob to lock and unlock the truck but it didn't help. Now the battery is so dead that I can't even roll the windows up, and the wife went to work so I am stuck here pondering how the Jeep got to this point. Everything was running fine with the old alternator, started every time, I guess I need to have it rebuilt.

So could this new alternator have cause the battery to go to low to jump start it and cause the alarm system to go screwy? When she gets home I'm taking the new alternator and battery to have them tested.

98 5.9

Thanks
Mike

I'm going to check the battery cables. All of this started when I put that alternator in. I am putting my money on it being the problem.

PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2011, 11:49 AM   #2
coralman
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Why did you replace the old alternator in the first place? Just wondering. The battery is how old? What type? Is it possible you nicked a wire putting the new one in? Are all the connections clean and tight? Have autozone test both your alternator and battery even if you have to pull it. While not concrete it might put you on the right path. Also the voltage regulator is in the pcm. It doesn't take alot for one as old as it is to fail. There is only a finite set of possiblities but any one of them could cause your symptoms. Buy a meter so you can read voltages, it will come in handy if you own a jeep. Digital ones are usually better.
coralman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2011, 11:55 AM   #3
HighLonesome
Belief In All Things Jeep

1995 ZJ 

Check the 'Alt' fuses in the PDC.
HighLonesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2011, 11:59 AM   #4
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by coralman View Post
Why did you replace the old alternator in the first place? Just wondering. The battery is how old? What type? Is it possible you nicked a wire putting the new one in? Are all the connections clean and tight? Have autozone test both your alternator and battery even if you have to pull it. While not concrete it might put you on the right path. Also the voltage regulator is in the pcm. It doesn't take alot for one as old as it is to fail. There is only a finite set of possiblities but any one of them could cause your symptoms. Buy a meter so you can read voltages, it will come in handy if you own a jeep. Digital ones are usually better.
Thanks. The old alternator had bearing noise and I wanted to replace it before it got to bad. I am going to have it rebuilt and take the autozone one out. The battery is a new looking red top duralast 660 cold cranking amps. I just bought the jeep so it's going to take me a bit to look through the records and see when it was purchased.
Everything was fine until a couple days after I put in that 136 amp alternator and then the battery started to die intermittently. A day after that started it wouldn't charge at all and now it won't start even with jumper cables on it. Alternator says made in Mexico on the side so let's just leave it at that. I cleaned the connections this morning but I'll have to wait to see if it did any good until the wife gets home. Until then I'm stranded with beer. There goes my whole day.
Unread 09-01-2011, 01:11 PM   #5
melk
1996 ZJ 

https://www.dcpowerinc.com/ and Sears DieHard Platinum battery is my next move

Though ironically my fathers mech replaced both batt (Interstate) and alt (unknown, gotta find a part #) trying to chase down a crank-no-start situation before I told him to replace the fkn CKS thx JF 2 years strong now
melk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2011, 07:23 PM   #6
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Well just got back from having the battery and alternator tested. Good news is is that they are both good. The bad news is is that his hand held said that there was "irregular charging system".
So now I have to figure out whats up. I noticed some electrical tape on the wire that goes to the alternator regulator so I guess I'll start there. I bought a multimeter but I have never used one so this should be interesting. Electrical problems are the worst.

Also I got a rear lamp failure from the vic on the way home. All of the lights worked though.
Unread 09-01-2011, 08:47 PM   #7
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Great news! Everything is working fine now that the old alternator is back in. I cleaned the terminals and when the wife got home it fired up. I drove it to the auto store and it was a bit weak there. The battery was pretty low. But now it has fired up every time during testing hours later.

I learned how to use the multimeter via YouTube and tested everything. The battery is testing low because it is only half charged. The alternator is putting out 13.8v at it's lead and the battery when the engine is on is 13.5. I bought a battery charger and will test again in 4 hours. I suspect that these number will improve dramatically.

My hypothesis is is that the 136 alt is not capable of charging my jeeps battery probably because of the draw the electric fan demands. They should not even sell it as a replacement for a 5.9.

This is also a good read. It could have been something as simple as a fuse. http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/newb...e-battery.html

MEKA LEKA HI MEKA HINEY HO
Unread 09-01-2011, 10:11 PM   #8
tank12983
1995 ZJ 

If your problem persists, (battery dead after sitting) I'd say alternator solenoid (little black box on back of alt). That is if 98's have that. I had a very similar problem on my 95 GC, changed alt didn't work. Changed the solenoid runs great.

My .02
Unread 09-01-2011, 10:15 PM   #9
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tank12983 View Post
If your problem persists, (battery dead after sitting) I'd say alternator solenoid (little black box on back of alt). That is if 98's have that. I had a very similar problem on my 95 GC, changed alt didn't work. Changed the solenoid runs great.

My .02
I was wondering that as well because the solenoid has some electrical tape on it.
Everything is back to normal now though. It just really did not like the 136 amp alternator. It starts and fires up every time since I reinstalled the factory alt. I am pleased.
I still have to fix the drivers rear window(won't go down) and the driver door lock motor activates but does not unlock the door with the fob. Ahhh never ending projects.
Unread 09-01-2011, 11:07 PM   #10
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Coralman , I got a multimeter and as it turns out the new alternator was incapable of charging the battery for my 5.9. I put the factory alt back in and everything is doing good now. Multimeters are great.
Unread 09-02-2011, 03:36 AM   #11
coralman
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Consider yourself a doctor, you can't make a disgnosis if you dont have the right tools. Glad you suceeded!
coralman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2011, 04:01 AM   #12
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Alternator is controlled by the ecu. That little black box is the field terminal unit.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2011, 07:14 AM   #13
speedbucket
1993 ZJ 

my guage has always stayed at the next tick to the right of 14 while running, but a couple times recently while idling i have noticed it hang around the 12 mark,
is there something else i should check out our just tack it up to the alternator crapping out. battery is less than a year old and holds steady according to the digi screen on my 4 channel amp
no subs going or crazy accessories, just a 4 channel amp for the doors
Unread 09-02-2011, 07:57 AM   #14
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmonkey View Post
Alternator is controlled by the ecu. That little black box is the field terminal unit.
What is the purpose of the field terminal unit?
Unread 09-02-2011, 07:59 AM   #15
HighLonesome
Belief In All Things Jeep

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
What is the purpose of the field terminal unit?
Voltage regulation.
HighLonesome is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.