*new* '96 zj ordering lift and parts help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > *new* '96 zj ordering lift and parts help

Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREEG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChTJ Wrangler 4" Rough Country Suspension Lift Kits in

Unread 04-08-2013, 01:41 PM   #1
PHARIS88
1996 ZJ 

*new* '96 zj ordering lift and parts help

IM BACK! lol

I had a younger sister move to Colorado for VET school, so I gave her my WJ with 2" lift. Well, today I bought a 1996 ZJ, it has 200,000 miles with rebuilt tcase and 4.0L.

I am going to be installing a lift pretty soon next week probably, I am thinking about the IRO ZJ 3.5" Benchmark Series Lift Kit, along with a heavy duty new steering stabilizer, with NEW REAR springs, with the cheap $0.00 extra shocks haha. (Any spring and shock will be better than what is on there right now)

I should be good with everything in this kit right? Any advice would be great! First ZJ I will be working on! Hopefully not too much different then the WJ's.

www.youtube.com/pharis88

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/1...hread-1507279/
PHARIS88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2013, 01:57 PM   #2
dernjeep
1995 ZJ 

Everything looks good except for the track bar bracket. I put my own lift together and when I asked about the brackets I didn't get a single good review. I was able to find adjustable bars for a good price.

Go to rubicon express's website and find the part numbers for the front and rear bars then search those part numbers in amazon.

I think my front bar was like 120ish and the rear was around 70-80. I guarantee you won't find them any cheaper new. The idea of just a metal bracket being the support doesnt please me especially wen off-roading is involved.
dernjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2013, 02:05 PM   #3
PHARIS88
1996 ZJ 

Also, I was looking at the rubicon express 3.5" lift kit from quadratec . com, for an extra $350-$400 it comes with lower control arms and stainless steel brake lines, but no stabilizer.

DO I HAVE TO HAVE new lower control arms and brakes lines for a 3.5" lift?!

Is that kit worth the extra money?

http://www.quadratec.com/products/16300_807.htm
(with just what it comes)

OR

http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/Merch...egory_Code=ZLK
(along with the steering stabilizer)

HELP PLEASE

www.youtube.com/pharis88

Unread 04-08-2013, 02:07 PM   #4
PHARIS88
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dernjeep View Post
Everything looks good except for the track bar bracket. I put my own lift together and when I asked about the brackets I didn't get a single good review. I was able to find adjustable bars for a good price.

Go to rubicon express's website and find the part numbers for the front and rear bars then search those part numbers in amazon.

I think my front bar was like 120ish and the rear was around 70-80. I guarantee you won't find them any cheaper new. The idea of just a metal bracket being the support doesnt please me especially wen off-roading is involved.

JUST SAW YOUR POST BUD... I'm leaning towards the rubican expres 3.5" lift, I posted the link of what I was going to order... which way would I be better off?

www.youtube.com/pharis88

Unread 04-08-2013, 02:14 PM   #5
1ATony
Vendor
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dernjeep View Post

I'm piecing together my ZJ too. I just ordered the RE track bars last Friday off Amazon. Front and rear were 185 shipped!

Brian over here has the IRO springs, his jeeps rides nice. You might also want to check the 4" ZONE kit, A couple of guys out here are running them and seem to like them.

Tony

Click Here^^ For a Great Selection Of Auto Repair Parts
CALL TOLL FREE 866-403-3393
1ATony is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2013, 02:32 PM   #6
PHARIS88
1996 ZJ 

Ok so, It would be in great interest of mine to buy adjustable track bars for front and rear? MY budget for the lift of 3.5" is about $800-$900 TOTAL for ALL PARTS.

I'm leaning more towards the IRO 3.5" basic and buying adjustable track bars now for front and rear, that way I don't have a track bar with a bracket, seems brackets are CRAP ha?

www.youtube.com/pharis88

Unread 04-08-2013, 02:39 PM   #7
1ATony
Vendor
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHARIS88 View Post
Ok so, It would be in great interest of mine to buy adjustable track bars for front and rear? MY budget for the lift of 3.5" is about $800-$900 TOTAL for ALL PARTS.

I'm leaning more towards the IRO 3.5" basic and buying adjustable track bars now for front and rear, that way I don't have a track bar with a bracket, seems brackets are CRAP ha?
That IRO adj. track bar is made awesome, Brian over here just tossed one on his 98 ZJ.

Like you I'm trying to do a budget build that rides nice. That RE deal was pretty good and it will allow you to center both axles which is why I grabbed it.

Kolak on the board is and IRO dealer, shoot him a PM for pricing, I've talked to him in the past, wicked nice guy.

You could do that Zone kit for 638.00 shipped, with the RE bars you would have an awesome lift within your budget. I know decisions....lol

If you need any stock replacement parts in the build PM me for prices. I just did axles, hubs, radiator, water pump.....lol my truck's almost new by force.

Unread 04-08-2013, 02:42 PM   #8
PHARIS88
1996 ZJ 

Due to budget issues, could I get away with just ordering the front track bar? and not get a new rear one?

www.youtube.com/pharis88

Unread 04-08-2013, 02:43 PM   #9
1ATony
Vendor
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Due to budget issues, could I get away with just ordering the front track bar? and not get a new rear one?
Yah, the front is the most concern. On the rear you could use the drop bracket instead.

Tony

Unread 04-08-2013, 02:44 PM   #10
PHARIS88
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ATony View Post
That IRO adj. track bar is made awesome, Brian over here just tossed on ii his 98 ZJ.

Like you I'm trying to do a budget build that rides nice. That RE deal was pretty good and it will allow you to center both axles which is why I grabbed it.

Kolak on the board is and IRO dealer, shoot him a PM for pricing, I've talked to him in the past, wicked nice guy.

You could do that Zone kit for 638.00 shipped, with the RE bars you would have an awesome lift within your budget. I know decisions....lol

If you need any stock replacement parts in the build PM me for prices. I just did axles, hubs, radiator, water pump.....lol my trucks almost new by force.
Yeah I'm finding track bars ranging all about $150ish PER track bar, you said you got a pair for $185ish? IF SO WHERE haha

I want to stick with the 3.5" IRO foundation kit (not the more expensive one) and buy track bars instead of using the bracket and track arm they give you.

www.youtube.com/pharis88

Unread 04-08-2013, 03:07 PM   #11
1ATony
Vendor
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Yeah I'm finding track bars ranging all about $150ish PER track bar, you said you got a pair for $185ish? IF SO WHERE haha

I want to stick with the 3.5" IRO foundation kit (not the more expensive one) and buy track bars instead of using the bracket and track arm they give you.
On Amazon. Here ya go http://www.amazon.com/Rubicon-Expres...sim_sbs_auto_1

Unread 04-08-2013, 03:12 PM   #12
PHARIS88
1996 ZJ 

Quote:

Thanks bud, that's a pretty good deal!

Here is what I have decided on:
IRO 3.5" Foundation (basic) Lift Kit $329.99
hydo shocks $0.00
NEW REAR coils $99.99
Heavy duty steering stabilizer $29.99
Front ADJ IRO track bar $139.99
Rear ADJ IRO track bar $139.99
TOTAL COST = $739.95

Am I missing anything lol??

www.youtube.com/pharis88

Unread 04-08-2013, 03:18 PM   #13
1ATony
Vendor
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Thanks bud, that's a pretty good deal!

hydo shocks $0.00
NEW REAR coils $99.99
TOTAL COST = $739.95

Am I missing anything lol??
I was going to do new isolator pads they add 3/4", also that kit has no 1" transfer case drop.

You might not need it. Brian over here did, because he did the springs and the 3/4" pads which will net yah 4.25" of lift.

The dealer may have cheaper stock size pads. If you need them.

Unread 04-08-2013, 03:33 PM   #14
PHARIS88
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
I was going to do new isolator pads they add 3/4", also that kit has no 1" transfer case drop.

You might not need it. Brian over here did, because he did the springs and the 3/4" pads which will net yah 4.25" of lift.

The dealer may have cheaper stock size pads. If you need them.
HMM I like that idea!

(REVISED)

hydo shocks $0.00
NEW REAR coils $99.99
T-Case drop 1'' = $39.99
Spring iso pad front = $24.99
Spring iso pad rear = $37.99
TOTAL COST = $842.92

I think I can handle that ha!

www.youtube.com/pharis88

Unread 04-08-2013, 03:36 PM   #15
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Ditch the transfer case drop, it's never needed on a ZJ.

Don't replace the isolators unless they are in bad shape, the stock steering stabilizer is just fine. Use the savings there to upgrade to the double shear trackbar.
WhiteOut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.