never had a 4x4 need some help and advice - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > never had a 4x4 need some help and advice

ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!50 in light bar /A pillar mount less than 500 at JeepHut.c

Unread 01-10-2012, 02:58 AM   #1
zach8935
1995 XJ Cherokee 

never had a 4x4 need some help and advice

i have a 93 grand cherokee laredo 4x4 with the 4.0 straight 6 in it. and i have no clue how to work the 4 wheel drive. i know it has part time 4 wheel which i don't know what wether thats all wheel or four wheel. two wheel i know how to use of course and i really have no need for 4 low. but when i switch to 4 wheel it makes god awful noise and doesn't feel like it's pulling. then when i switch back to 2 wheel it wont go back in till i stop put it in park let it sit and then go. i also see that it has a full time 4 wheel but i cant figure out how to get it to go in it. i know little to nothing this is my first vehicle and 4x4 by default so i'm tryna learn so if you can answer or help thank you

zach8935 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2012, 03:03 AM   #2
98zjay
1998 ZJ 

stop. put the jeep in nuetral with foot on brake. pull lever back into 4wh then put into drive and see what happens
98zjay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2012, 03:05 AM   #3
98zjay
1998 ZJ 

you wont notice a big difference in 4wd and 2wd unless your offroad where you can tell if the front tires are spinning
Unread 01-10-2012, 03:21 AM   #4
Foundrydude
1995 ZJ 

Part time 4wd = fully locked and only used for 4 wheeling, not for street use. Will buck and jerk on pavement but rules off road

Full time 4wd = pavement 4x4, more like all wheel drive. If you go wheeling it may spin one tire instead of one on the front and one on the back. But totally suitable for driving on pavement in bad weather.

4 low = totally locked, unsuitable for pavement use, top speed 35mph due to gear reduction. Great for off roading with steep hills but probably not necessary for any street conditions. Even if you go in the ditch, 4 part time will probably work better to get out of the ditch because 50mph of tire spin will overcome a lot of stuckness. When you want the jeep to operate with off road conditions at less than a walking pace, use 4 low.

Only shift the transfer case with the transmission in park or neutral,and only stopped (or moving 1 mph), or it will grind.

good luck
Foundrydude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2012, 03:24 AM   #5
zach8935
1995 XJ Cherokee 

So how do I get it into full time 4 wheel
Unread 01-10-2012, 03:26 AM   #6
XJ-JekL
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zach8935 View Post
i have a 93 grand cherokee laredo 4x4 with the 4.0 straight 6 in it. and i have no clue how to work the 4 wheel drive. i know it has part time 4 wheel which i don't know what wether thats all wheel or four wheel. two wheel i know how to use of course and i really have no need for 4 low. but when i switch to 4 wheel it makes god awful noise and doesn't feel like it's pulling. then when i switch back to 2 wheel it wont go back in till i stop put it in park let it sit and then go. i also see that it has a full time 4 wheel but i cant figure out how to get it to go in it. i know little to nothing this is my first vehicle and 4x4 by default so i'm tryna learn so if you can answer or help thank you
I see your new here. Welcome to the world of Jeeps!
Friendly advice, the search function and a little bit of grammar goes a long way here.

That being said, I believe you have the 249 t-case, and I also believe it's a "shift of the fly" style. Meaning you shouldn't have to be in park, neutral or have your foot on the brake. You can switch while in drive, and going about 3-5 mph. Sometimes it takes a pretty hard yank on the shifter to get it into gear, and you may hear some god-awful grinding of the gears. A little bit isn't to bad, you'll learn where to shift it just like a manual transmission, because it's a manual 4wd. Sometimes they need a little bit of "coarsening" to get them where you want it. Try it with your door open and ear pointed to the ground and listen to it engage and disengage.

This ought to help as well:
4wd full time: Wet or snow covered roads, daily driving basically.
4wd part time: Offroad use only! Loose dirt, rocks or mud. Do not drive on dry or grippy surfaces because your axles are locked together. (Search "crow-hop" for more info)
4lo: Provides lower torque to the wheels for better traction i.e. climbing an ice covered hill. DO NOT spin your wheels in 4lo ever. Downshift your transmission to 1 or 1-2 (idk the ZJ too well) to prevent revving the engine to high.

Hoped this is what you we're looking for, happy trails!
XJ-JekL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2012, 03:28 AM   #7
XJ-JekL
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Foundrydude, you beat me to it!
XJ-JekL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2012, 03:35 AM   #8
zach8935
1995 XJ Cherokee 

So how do I engage the full time. The part time I get but I can't figure out his to get it to engage no matter what I try
Unread 01-10-2012, 03:40 AM   #9
98zjay
1998 ZJ 

Pretty sure 249 is qaudratrac. Only 4h and 4l that's what I have
Unread 01-10-2012, 03:44 AM   #10
zach8935
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Well in between my part time and 4 low lights there's a full time one to. I just can't get it to engage and light up
Unread 01-10-2012, 03:47 AM   #11
SAR-Swimmer
1997 ZJ 

Think he's talking about a 242, since he's having problems getting it into 2wd.
SAR-Swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2012, 03:55 AM   #12
zach8935
1995 XJ Cherokee 

I think Noone is really sure of what I'm asking. I am in 2 wheel and don't have any problems with it. I want to know how to get it to go from 2 wheel drive into full time 4 wheel but all I can get it to go into is part time
Unread 01-10-2012, 04:16 AM   #13
KoreaZJ
1994 ZJ 

KoreaZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2012, 04:29 AM   #14
torchd
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foundrydude View Post
Part time 4wd = fully locked and only used for 4 wheeling, not for street use. Will buck and jerk on pavement but rules off road

Full time 4wd = pavement 4x4, more like all wheel drive. If you go wheeling it may spin one tire instead of one on the front and one on the back. But totally suitable for driving on pavement in bad weather.

4 low = totally locked, unsuitable for pavement use, top speed 35mph due to gear reduction. Great for off roading with steep hills but probably not necessary for any street conditions. Even if you go in the ditch, 4 part time will probably work better to get out of the ditch because 50mph of tire spin will overcome a lot of stuckness. When you want the jeep to operate with off road conditions at less than a walking pace, use 4 low.

Only shift the transfer case with the transmission in park or neutral,and only stopped (or moving 1 mph), or it will grind.

good luck
That's not true. I believe you can shift the TC on the fly (while moving) up to 55 mph

[b][color=red]2002 Trans Am[/b][/color]
Cam, Full Exhaust, Stock Heads, Stock LS6 Intake and Stock 10 bolt with 3.42s
[b]420 RWHP and 382 RWHTQ[/b]
torchd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2012, 06:04 AM   #15
jtackerman28
1997 ZJ 

You can shift it under 55 do it often with no problems. He has a 242 and he needs to just rip it like he means it. That is how you will get it in 4wd. It that doesn't work then you have other issues. Only stop and put it in neutrel if you are putting it in 4lo. Also full time (can be used "full time")

Tags
4x4 , grand cherokee

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.