the never ending "easy" job (long but good) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > the never ending "easy" job (long but good)

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Truc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955Jeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at Baselin

Unread 06-30-2008, 11:49 PM   #1
Irish_Assassin
1999 TJ Wrangler 

the never ending "easy" job (long but good)

so my room mate and i decide to finally catch up on my jeep. all 4 brakes both rear rotors and my drivers side cv joint. we were think 2 maybe 2.5 hours tops. nope not even close it took about 9 hours most of which were driving around to find parts..... the right parts. we started off with the cv shaft. come to find out we didnt have a socket big enough to take off my spindle nut. down to autozone we go. while there we pick up my brakes and rotors. come back and start that while the wheel is off. also learn that 4 out of the 8 rubber boots for guide pin have holes in them and they wont flex properly and that those 4 guide pins are rusted. mean while we are letting penetrating lube work on the spindle nut cuz it was rusted on. back to autozone we go. actually 2 autozones. come back and finally finish the brakes and rotors. so we restart the cv shaft. so we have the 36mm socket with a .5" breaker bar and a 4' cheater bar for leverage. i was pushing so hard i lifted my jeep off of the rear jack stands. it finally gave way. we get off the spindle nut and the spindle finding out the spindle nut was completely cross threaded. get out the cv shaft and go to replace the one i got from advanced. come to find out that the cv boot was to long and rubed my axle housing. back to advanced to return. back to autozone...again. get their cv shaft come back home put it in...guess what...same problem but not rubbing as bad. so to checker we go they have the right part FINALLY! back to autozone return the part so i can purchase the one from checker. back to checker make the purchase and back home. fits like a glove put everything back together. do my control arm, replace stock lca with teraflex to match other 3. goes in with out a hitch relatively. lesson learned autozone is cheaper than advanced. checker has better parts and my room mate must really like me cuz this was a headache waiting to happen. we drove over 100 miles to go to parts stores that are only 5-10 minutes away. after test drive perfect on "first" try yay for us.

COLORADO JEEP CLUB #133
www.militaryjeepers.com
Irish_Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2008, 01:35 AM   #2
JCZJ
1998 ZJ 

Paragraphing is your friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoey40 View Post
She can XJ my WJ whenever and however she wants. Hell, I'd let her CJ it, too.
JCZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2008, 03:20 AM   #3
Katesdad

Congrats on scaring the heck out of the next person with brake and cv issues! Glad you got it worked out.
Katesdad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2008, 06:41 AM   #4
UUJ1
1999 WJ 

Moral of the story... Go to Checker first!

I HATE Auto Zone AND Advanced!

242 in my garage... still
UUJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2008, 07:12 AM   #5
j.love
1994 ZJ 

36mm is your friend.
Originally Posted by ratmonkey View Post
I wouldn't drive down a driveway on that.
''If we do everything right, if we do it with absolute certainty, there's still a 30% chance we're going to get it wrong.''
Joe Biden
j.love is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2008, 07:17 AM   #6
Windowsrookie
2000 WJ 

Yeah, the CV boot was rubbing the axel tube on mine too, but I watched as I tightened the spindle nut onto the hub, it pulled the boot away from the tube.
Unread 07-01-2008, 07:53 AM   #7
skunked_once
1997 ZJ 

Didn't you know about the three trips to the hardware/autoparts store?
skunked_once is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2008, 08:49 AM   #8
Irish_Assassin
1999 TJ Wrangler 

i was at advanced 5 times autozone 4 times checker 1. called advanced and autozone like 3 times checker twice. all in all it was the best headache i ever had lol. to all the new guys with zj's like me. it really wasnt that hard at all! it was just timely after figuring out i needed to replace those pins and boots. go get greasy its worth it!
COLORADO JEEP CLUB #133
www.militaryjeepers.com
Irish_Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2008, 10:46 AM   #9
elmer_fud
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish_Assassin View Post
i was at advanced 5 times autozone 4 times checker 1. called advanced and autozone like 3 times checker twice. all in all it was the best headache i ever had lol. to all the new guys with zj's like me. it really wasnt that hard at all! it was just timely after figuring out i needed to replace those pins and boots. go get greasy its worth it!
It happens to everyone sooner or later.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedycat View Post
I am not one to be changing lanes at 70 mph on a lifted truck on 33's, but since I am in Miami, I have to be prepared for the continuous influx of new drivers whose previous ride was a bicycle with wooden wheels.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPKites View Post
badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, Mushroom!!! :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeJay1997 View Post
Or just tie a 12 lb fish to a one foot pipe.
elmer_fud is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2008, 11:09 AM   #10
ArloGuthroJeep
Mr. Hyde!

2004 WJ 

No tech
Unread 07-01-2008, 12:07 PM   #11
tennesseewj
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmer_fud View Post
It happens to everyone sooner or later.
Very true. I have had small jobs take me three times as long as they should have on more than one occasion because of a specific part or tool
Originally Posted by Sporer65 View Post
You need to learn, there are 3 things that all JF members must like beside Jeeps:
(1) Guns (2) Women (3) Bacon
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraKee99 View Post
I was bored so I forded the river. No oxen were lost.
tennesseewj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2010, 02:23 AM   #12
Smokey1r
1997 ZJ 

I just finished replacing the passenger side front CV joint/axle assembly this morning and i have the same dang boot rubbing issue. I purchased the part off eBay new and it fitted in with no other issues, my question is can the boot be slid over a little on the axle or is it strapped in a groove on the axle like it is on the hub side?

Far as dissassembly the only real issue i had was pulling the hub off, i had to use a socket on 2 of the 3 hub bolts screwed in several turns and a brass hammer to slowly manipulate it off, but once it was off the rest was easy. i cleaned all the rust off and wire wheeled all the mating surfaces, sandblasted the 3 bolts and rotor (minus the brake pad surface) greased all the areas that were previously rusted and reassembled.
Guess ill be tearing it down again later on today but should go fast with it all clean and greased up

If anyone has any thoughts about the boot rubbing issue short of replacing outright as it not an option for my right now ( out of $$$ and time ) id be greatly appreciative!!!
Smokey1r is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.