******* that needs help with suspension - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > ******* that needs help with suspension

Ford Explorer 8.8 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft Kit C Clip ElimStainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 04-07-2009, 09:03 PM   #1
zach36532
1996 ZJ 

******* that needs help with suspension

im plaining on putting on a 4" rough country lift and putting 2" spacers on to make a total of 6" and i was wondering if when i put all that on will i have to change out my driveshaft or make any other mods???.... any feed back would help. thank you

zach36532 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2009, 09:05 PM   #2
gatorayde
1999 WJ 

Add in an extra 3" spacer too for 9" total (not...)

If you are going to 6" total, you need everything for 6" total. You don't seem very well educated on lifting jeeps so I would not suggest jumping head first into such a high lift height. Do the research and do it right
gatorayde is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2009, 09:51 PM   #3
the88thpianoman
2003 WJ 

You would need to change your driveshafts, control arms,front and rear track bars, shocks, front and rear sway bar links, and something else that I might be forgetting. Oh yeah, while you're at it, go ahead and swap out the springs for 6" springs, and sell the spacers.

Basically, if you want to lift 6", you need a 6" kit. A 4" kit will work only for 4" of lift, not 6". If you want a 6" kit, you need to be prepared to shell out between $2500 and $3000, and that's before you get wheels and tires. And if you fit the maximum size tire under a 6" lift, you will not want, you will need to regear, and if you have the D35 in the back, you'll need to junk that and swap in at least an 8.8.

Now, I don't mean to come off as a jerk or anything, it's just that we get this exact question or some slight variation of it nearly every day. I understand that it's easy to think big and get in over your head and budget very quickly. It's good to start off with a smaller lift like the IRO front to rear swap, or the rough country kit you're considering. I also highly recommend installing the lift yourself. It isn't that difficult, and you will learn tons about your Jeep's suspension and how everything works, which will in turn help you understand why you need all the crap I mentioned for an extra two inches of lift.
2003 WJ in Jeep Green Metallic, 4.0/242/4.10's. 4" Teraflex springs w/ RE monotube shocks and IRO short arms, cheap intake w/ amsoil filter, 2.5" hi flow cat and back exhaust, lots of lights and other misc crap.

Check out my build thread here: Life lessons and budget build
the88thpianoman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2009, 10:22 PM   #4
RRAM
1993 ZJ 

Well I think you been told. But I would believe what they said. I put a 2 in spring lift with new shocks and it changes enough stuff that keeps a guy busy. There is so much info on lifts here that its overwelming. But after reading and reading I figure that 3.5 is pretty safe kit (wish I had done that) After that you are wanting a lot of parts and a lot cash spent. This forum is very helpful and very full of info do a search on lifts and your going to be reading for a few days. Good luck and hope to see pics of your jeep build.
04 GC Limited 4.7 Wife drives this one
RRAM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2009, 08:42 AM   #5
coupleofjeeps
1992 YJ Wrangler 

6" is a much bigger project than 4"
BUT once you're at 4" its easier to move up if you piece together the right components to begin with i.e. sway bar links and discos, adj. track bars... plus when you know what you're doing after doing it a time or two moving up the progression, you will be able to handle it better especially when it comes to troubleshooting a problem or knowing what to repair...

my says work your way up, start 4
coupleofjeeps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2009, 08:48 AM   #6
DothanJeep
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorayde View Post
Add in an extra 3" spacer too for 9" total (not...)

If you are going to 6" total, you need everything for 6" total. You don't seem very well educated on lifting jeeps so I would not suggest jumping head first into such a high lift height. Do the research and do it right
Just do a body lift!
01'WJ Project Cheap fix.
DothanJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2009, 10:09 AM   #7
zach36532
1996 ZJ 

where can i find the a driveshaft i need?
zach36532 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.