Needing suggestions for a new cat and muffler? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Needing suggestions for a new cat and muffler?

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 04-10-2013, 06:05 AM   #1
herqulees
1997 ZJ 

Needing suggestions for a new cat and muffler?

So finally my budget has evened out and my savings account is healthy so I'm wanting to do something to my Jeep that I wanted to do since day 1, let it breathe a little easier and have a bit better sound (I don't want annoyingly loud fart cannon exhaust!).
I've done some looking around and from the forum posts I've looked through it seems most people agree that the stock piping isn't worth replacing, a lot don't bother changing the manifold either, and that the main thing restricting the exhaust is the cat. I've never replaced a cat with an aftermarket one and being the one major thing that decides weather or not I can pass my emissions test I'd like to get a lot of opinions and real world experience people to suggest a good one to get along with how I'm going to have to install it. I would like to get something bolt in but from a quick peak under my Jeep after pulling in to work this morning it looks like all of the exhaust is one piece, so I'm assuming I'm going to have to cut it out? I know how to weld, very basic at least, but do not have a welder, so if it's not bolt in it will have to be clamped in.
And finally as I said I want a new muffler too, I'm looking for a glass pack for the free flow and YouTube let me hear a lot of good sounding 4.0s with them installed so I'm convinced it'll be good, but I'm still open to suggestions on what to get/look for in a muffler. As I said earlier I don't want this sounding like one of those fart cannons on the interstate, I just want it to have that deeper more open sound that you can still stand next to the tail pipe and have a conversation.

herqulees is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2013, 06:40 AM   #2
bigb229
1998 ZJ 

Kolak
bigb229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2013, 12:47 PM   #3
herqulees
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigb229 View Post
Kolak
Short and simple. I remember reading about him before, guess I'll ask him then.
Unread 04-10-2013, 07:41 PM   #4
Mickey_D
1997 ZJ 

Just a word of advice. I used to have an XJ with the 4.0 in it and I stuck a glass pack on it. Sounded like crap and was hideously noisy.

Until I put a resonator tip on the end of the exhaust pipe. Then it sounded NIIIIIIIIICE!

If you decide to go the route of a glass pack, I would seriously recommend a good resonator tip to add to it. Monza is the brand I used. Basically one of those bolt on chrome tips that have a resonator inside them. Then have it welded on with the rest of the system.
[_][][][][][][][][_]

Mickey_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2013, 08:24 PM   #5
herqulees
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey_D View Post
Just a word of advice. I used to have an XJ with the 4.0 in it and I stuck a glass pack on it. Sounded like crap and was hideously noisy.

Until I put a resonator tip on the end of the exhaust pipe. Then it sounded NIIIIIIIIICE!

If you decide to go the route of a glass pack, I would seriously recommend a good resonator tip to add to it. Monza is the brand I used. Basically one of those bolt on chrome tips that have a resonator inside them. Then have it welded on with the rest of the system.
After talking to Kolak it looks like I'm going to replace everything from the manifold to the exhaust tip. Can't buy it all at once but for a vehicle I don't plan on getting rid of till its rust-free body rusts in half I see it being a good and fun lil investment. Am getting a Doug Thorley header which is beautiful, 2.5inch piping, Magnaflow high flow converter along with new O2 sensors while I'm at it, and a Flowmaster 70 Series muffler. Just wish I had a better way to hear what it'll sound like than low quality phone recorded videos on YouTube. But in their defense kinda hard to properly record a sound like a muffler without professional equipment.
Unread 04-11-2013, 05:27 PM   #6
Mickey_D
1997 ZJ 

Nick steered you right. With a high flow cat a FM70 is going to sound VERY nice. A good throaty rumble without being obnoxiously loud. Probably a little deeper and a decibel or two louder than a stock Mustang/Camaro.
[_][][][][][][][][_]

Mickey_D is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.