needed longer wire. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > needed longer wire.

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineStainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 09-07-2013, 06:10 PM   #1
coralman
green backs to no backs

1998 ZJ 

needed longer wire.

For awhile now every time I opened the hood my eyes would go to the A/C switch wire. When I installed the new harness a year ago it was so tight there was just enough wire to"click" the connector. So since I wound up doing so much other weekend chores I figured I would tackle a small project today. I needed to add some stress relief to that wire. First I disconnected the negative battery cable. I cut the wires as close as I could to the connector. Last week I picked up a connector at the jy and cut off plenty of wire.

ac-wire-k.jpg ac-wire-.jpg

I cut the wires on a stagger so the splices wouldn't be side by side and stripped them using a Shack auto stripper. By setting the red indicator you can make the same strip length repeatedly.

ac-wire-b.jpg ac-wire-c.jpg

The mopar splice bands come 50 to a pack and are sized small medium large and extra large. I think these are mediums. To crimp them I used a tool like this. You can find these alot cheaper than what I paid. With this pic you'll be able to match one up. I could never find a decent picture of one so I paid for this one. Slide some heatshrink over each wire. Insert the splice band into the crimper and close it a click or two.

ac-wire-d.jpg ac-wire-e.jpg

ac-wire-f.jpg

Insert both the wires into the splice band/crimper close it. This is a ratcheting style so you don't have to use any force. When it stops clicking don't force it. A little lever unlocks the crimper and you wind up with a perfect small splice. Hit it with just enough solder to flow through the crimp and your done except for the shrink tubing and tape wrap.

ac-wire-f-1.jpg ac-wire-g.jpg

ac-wirej.jpg

Links to axle rebuilds, mount replace,a/c box rebuild,ect in history section of my profile page
coralman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2013, 06:40 PM   #2
NJ2MDJim
1993 ZJ 

Nice write-up and pictures. Well done!
NJ2MDJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2013, 07:49 PM   #3
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

nicely done just like Mr Mopar. doesn't get much better than that.
ZeeJay1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2013, 08:11 PM   #4
coralman
green backs to no backs

1998 ZJ 

Thanks guys! I always got frustrated just trying to twist and solder and didn't like the result. This way the solder joint is small, remains flexible, and is very secure. When I ever get to move to the interior this will come in handy. JF never shows me who gave the thumbs up but I appreciate it.

Links to axle rebuilds, mount replace,a/c box rebuild,ect in history section of my profile page
coralman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2013, 06:32 PM   #5
DRUMatthias
1996 ZJ 

Uber Pro! Right down to the official Mopar splice bands! Honestly, I hope I never have to do this. But I'll follow this guide if I ever do!

...actually what am I typing? I'll have to splice the wires from the relay to the fan very soon! Oh what fun...

Nice Platinum DieHard, BTW. I run the same, 6 years & counting. Never got a Optima to last this long. 8)
DRUMatthias is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.