needed longer wire. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > needed longer wire.

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 09-07-2013, 07:10 PM   #1
coralman
I can wish can't I?

1998 ZJ 

needed longer wire.

For awhile now every time I opened the hood my eyes would go to the A/C switch wire. When I installed the new harness a year ago it was so tight there was just enough wire to"click" the connector. So since I wound up doing so much other weekend chores I figured I would tackle a small project today. I needed to add some stress relief to that wire. First I disconnected the negative battery cable. I cut the wires as close as I could to the connector. Last week I picked up a connector at the jy and cut off plenty of wire.

ac-wire-k.jpg ac-wire-.jpg

I cut the wires on a stagger so the splices wouldn't be side by side and stripped them using a Shack auto stripper. By setting the red indicator you can make the same strip length repeatedly.

ac-wire-b.jpg ac-wire-c.jpg

The mopar splice bands come 50 to a pack and are sized small medium large and extra large. I think these are mediums. To crimp them I used a tool like this. You can find these alot cheaper than what I paid. With this pic you'll be able to match one up. I could never find a decent picture of one so I paid for this one. Slide some heatshrink over each wire. Insert the splice band into the crimper and close it a click or two.

ac-wire-d.jpg ac-wire-e.jpg

ac-wire-f.jpg

Insert both the wires into the splice band/crimper close it. This is a ratcheting style so you don't have to use any force. When it stops clicking don't force it. A little lever unlocks the crimper and you wind up with a perfect small splice. Hit it with just enough solder to flow through the crimp and your done except for the shrink tubing and tape wrap.

ac-wire-f-1.jpg ac-wire-g.jpg

ac-wirej.jpg

Unread 09-07-2013, 07:40 PM   #2
NJ2MDJim
1993 ZJ 

Nice write-up and pictures. Well done!
NJ2MDJim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2013, 08:49 PM   #3
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

nicely done just like Mr Mopar. doesn't get much better than that.
ZeeJay1997 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2013, 09:11 PM   #4
coralman
I can wish can't I?

1998 ZJ 

Thanks guys! I always got frustrated just trying to twist and solder and didn't like the result. This way the solder joint is small, remains flexible, and is very secure. When I ever get to move to the interior this will come in handy. JF never shows me who gave the thumbs up but I appreciate it.
Unread 10-04-2013, 07:32 PM   #5
DRUMatthias
1996 ZJ 

Uber Pro! Right down to the official Mopar splice bands! Honestly, I hope I never have to do this. But I'll follow this guide if I ever do!

...actually what am I typing? I'll have to splice the wires from the relay to the fan very soon! Oh what fun...

Nice Platinum DieHard, BTW. I run the same, 6 years & counting. Never got a Optima to last this long. 8)
DRUMatthias is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.