Need your help: Removing Calipers from Rotors on 1999 Grand Cherokee 4x4, front - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Need your help: Removing Calipers from Rotors on 1999 Grand Cherokee 4x4, front

Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiClayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Clayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank Skid

Unread 06-29-2004, 07:13 PM   #1
cjdietzman
1999 WJ 

Need your help: Removing Calipers from Rotors on 1999 Grand Cherokee 4x4, front

Hello! Thanks for checking out my thread.

Anyway, I am preparing to replace my front rotors and pads on my 1999 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4, and I pulled a wheel off today to take a look.

QUESTION: What is the best way to get the calipers off of the rotor? Should I remove the 2 allen screws that hold the caliper to the brackets, or the two nuts that hold the caliper brackets to the truck...OR both? I loosened up the 2 allen screws, and that seemed to do nothing...the caliper would not come off...easily anyway.

Does my question make sense? Obviously, I do not do this kind of work every day. Your advice would be appreciated. THANKS!!!

cjdietzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2004, 04:53 PM   #2
ercrmr

Taking off the allen bolts is all that's needed to take off the caliper. If your going to take off the rotor (to resurface or replace) then take off the caliper bracket after taking off the caliper. Hope this helps
ercrmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2004, 07:00 AM   #3
cjdietzman
1999 WJ 

Thanks for the reply. When I loosened the 2 allen bolts the other night, the caliper still seemed "stuck" to the rotor. Should I pry it of with a screwdriver?
Unread 07-01-2004, 09:05 AM   #4
97RedBird
2009 MK Compass 

You will need to compress the caliper piston with something to get the pressure off the rotor(watch that the brake fluid doesn't overflow out of the master cylinder resevoir) I sometimes use a screw driver and/or a C-clamp., but be careful not to scratch the rotor (if you are reusing it).
97RedBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2004, 10:24 AM   #5
cjdietzman
1999 WJ 

Thanks RedBird!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.