need wiring help for roof clearance lights - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > need wiring help for roof clearance lights

Want to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under We have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!Flowmaster Overstock: Special Holiday Pricing!!!!

Unread 06-16-2013, 02:55 PM   #1
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

need wiring help for roof clearance lights

you may remember a few months back i posted about putting clearance lights from a truck on my ZJ. i ended up taking them off because one became a projectile on the freeway, due to the cheap 2 sided tape i used to attach them. i want to put them back on (will be using silicone to attach them this time), but i want to do something a little different.

i want them to turn on with the running lights, easy enough. just a relay with the trigger from the pass. side marker light. but heres the catch. when i turn on the hazards, i want the 2 outside clearance lights to flash with them. how would i wire this? i know im gonna need a few relays at least. not super experienced with wiring, i can usually figure my way around it, but this has got me stumped. can you explain it to me? if someone could make up a schematic, that would be even better. thanks

Unread 06-16-2013, 03:08 PM   #2
wsigo
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnuccio View Post
you may remember a few months back i posted about putting clearance lights from a truck on my ZJ. i ended up taking them off because one became a projectile on the freeway, due to the cheap 2 sided tape i used to attach them. i want to put them back on (will be using silicone to attach them this time), but i want to do something a little different.

i want them to turn on with the running lights, easy enough. just a relay with the trigger from the pass. side marker light. but heres the catch. when i turn on the hazards, i want the 2 outside clearance lights to flash with them. how would i wire this? i know im gonna need a few relays at least. not super experienced with wiring, i can usually figure my way around it, but this has got me stumped. can you explain it to me? if someone could make up a schematic, that would be even better. thanks
What you need is this right here- http://www.thehitchstore.com/3-to-2-...er-p-1705.html

Properly wired, this will do exactly what you are describing. Pretty easy to wire up with the instructions or a quick Google search.
wsigo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-16-2013, 03:26 PM   #3
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsigo View Post
What you need is this right here- http://www.thehitchstore.com/3-to-2-...er-p-1705.html

Properly wired, this will do exactly what you are describing. Pretty easy to wire up with the instructions or a quick Google search.
am i on the right track here?
Unread 06-16-2013, 03:34 PM   #4
wsigo
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
am i on the right track here?
Yes but the ones you have labeled "from hazard" will technically come "from turn signal" on each side. Same wire, but just throwing that out there.

You got it boss.

edit- just so you're aware, any way you do this- those clearance lights will now also act as turn signals. If you ONLY want them both to come on when you turn your hazards on and NOT the individual turn signals, you will need to do a bit more wiring and probably will require the use of some sort of logic board so as to not supply voltage unless both 'inputs' have 12 volts. Ya know?
wsigo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-16-2013, 04:07 PM   #5
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsigo View Post
Yes but the ones you have labeled "from hazard" will technically come "from turn signal" on each side. Same wire, but just throwing that out there.

You got it boss.

edit- just so you're aware, any way you do this- those clearance lights will now also act as turn signals. If you ONLY want them both to come on when you turn your hazards on and NOT the individual turn signals, you will need to do a bit more wiring and probably will require the use of some sort of logic board so as to not supply voltage unless both 'inputs' have 12 volts. Ya know?
I only want them to flash when the hazards are turned on. Do the hazards work off the same relay as the turn signals, or is there a separate relay? If they're separate, I could run the "from hazard" wires from the hazard relay itself, instead of from the flasher bulbs?
Unread 06-17-2013, 03:50 PM   #6
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

do they make dual filament 194 bulbs? that would make this whole thing a hell of alot easier
Unread 06-17-2013, 06:34 PM   #7
tucsonzj
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

So I might be wrong, but if you wire them as running lights and turn on your lights in the city, you're going to get pulled over faster then any other as you're only allowed 4 lights (driving lights, excludes orange lights like on semi's on the roof) in front when on city/state roads. Offroad lights would fall under this category as they are for "offroad use only" and are not street legal.

I could be reading what you wrote wrong, but last thing you want is DPS tagging you for that, you know as well as I do they'll bend you over for something like that.
Unread 06-17-2013, 07:13 PM   #8
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

You misunderstood. I am talking about the amber lights on the roof like big trucks have.
Unread 06-17-2013, 07:14 PM   #9
tucsonzj
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
You misunderstood. I am talking about the amber lights on the roof like big trucks have.
my bad lol. In that case awesome, do a write up on this sounds awesome
Unread 06-17-2013, 07:56 PM   #10
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucsonzj View Post
my bad lol. In that case awesome, do a write up on this sounds awesome
no problem

i will probably do i write up

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.