Need Wheel Hub/Bearing replacement info... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Need Wheel Hub/Bearing replacement info...

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippHuge Soft top Sale

Unread 06-13-2011, 03:38 PM   #1
MyZJ98
1997 ZJ 

Need Wheel Hub/Bearing replacement info...

So I've determined that my front d/s wheel hub/bearing is shot and I need to replace it. Gonna order a new one this weekend and replace it and I have a general idea of how to but was wondering if anyone had any good tips, tricks, advice or some special tools I should know about in advanced and ALSO is anyone knows of a good link to a how-to thread would be really awesome too. Thanks in advance guys

Derek

'98 ZJ Laredo, 4.0L, 140K, NP242, stock. (Sold @205k)
'99 WJ Laredo, 4.7L, 175K, NP249, stock. (Sold @240k)
'97 ZJ Limited, 4.0L, 109K, NP249, stock.(Current)
MyZJ98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2011, 04:00 PM   #2
savannahzj
1998 ZJ 

Do a search...
Give a man a fish, teach a man to fish...
savannahzj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2011, 04:35 PM   #3
MyZJ98
1997 ZJ 

Thanks, I've been here long enough to know how to search, BUT that's not what im asking for. I only have access to this from my phone right now, which wont utilize the search function correctly. On top of it, I was seeking personal advice from other members here who have already dome the job and know a few special tips that might make the process a little easier for me, or, alternatively, someone could post a link to another thread with a detailed step-by-step. Next time, please save your useless comments for a different forum where they might be appreciated. If I was looking for some to tell me to search, I probably would have just done it...

ANYWAYS,

Any useful help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

'98 ZJ Laredo, 4.0L, 140K, NP242, stock. (Sold @205k)
'99 WJ Laredo, 4.7L, 175K, NP249, stock. (Sold @240k)
'97 ZJ Limited, 4.0L, 109K, NP249, stock.(Current)
MyZJ98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2011, 04:57 PM   #4
TallyZJ
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyZJ98 View Post
Thanks, I've been here long enough to know how to search, BUT that's not what im asking for. I only have access to this from my phone right now, which wont utilize the search function correctly. On top of it, I was seeking personal advice from other members here who have already dome the job and know a few special tips that might make the process a little easier for me, or, alternatively, someone could post a link to another thread with a detailed step-by-step. Next time, please save your useless comments for a different forum where they might be appreciated. If I was looking for some to tell me to search, I probably would have just done it...

ANYWAYS,

Any useful help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
The only special tool you will need is a 12 point 13mm socket for the hub bearing bolts. Get it in 1/2" drive and a short extension. You will probably need a long pull handle or ratchet to break them free. Air gun works too if you have air.

Other than that it is pretty simple and easy. Remove the axle nut first and spray some penetrating oil inside the splines. Go to the back side of the knuckle and zip the three 12 point bolts out of the hub bearing and simply knock it out.

Replace with the new one in reverse order.

You will have to search for the torque values because I don't have them.
TallyZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2011, 05:37 PM   #5
savannahzj
1998 ZJ 

No need to get your panties in a wad. All you had to do was say you were on your phone.
13mm 12 pt socket, 46mm socket, breaker bar, pb blaster, sometimes the the 12 point bolts can be a bear, and then when you get them loose dont take them all the way out. you can put the socket back on the bolt and tap on the socket, a little on each bolt. This will break the hub free. Some people will use a chisel between the hub and dust shield but I found that tapping on the bolts is alot less effort. The axle nut can be a bear to if it has not been off in a while. You can also pm ZJJay, he has a word document that he could email to you on the process.
Sorry if I offended you. Good luck.
savannahzj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2011, 05:47 PM   #6
Technohead
Old School

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by savannahzj View Post
. . . 46mm socket . . . .
I think you meant 36 mm socket.

A smart person would coat the bolts and the mating surface between bearing and knuckle with anti-sieze before reassembly.

And while you are in there, its a great time to replace the front axle u-joints.
Technohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2011, 06:57 PM   #7
coralman
green backs to no backs

1998 ZJ 

I saw something where you could just put a longer bolt in the rearmost hole and turn the wheel and the hub pops off.
coralman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2011, 07:13 PM   #8
SAR-Swimmer
1997 ZJ 

36 mm socket, 13 mm 12 point socket, a quick wire-brushing of the bolts, a little anti-seize, and you'll be golden.
SAR-Swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2011, 08:04 PM   #9
Boodyrider
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Also.. two important things.
SAND down the rusted area of the knuckle before installing the new unit bearing. Clean and shiny is what you want, then apply antisieze liberally to where it previously rusted.
CRITICAL: do NOT hammer on the new bearing (or any old bearing you might want to ever use again). If you hit the hub face (where the wheel studs are) with a hammer, you will damage the bearing and the assembly will fail early, sometimes as early as immediately.

84 CJ7; frame off restoration in progress.

The technical advice you get from me here is worth exactly what you paid me for it. Warranty issues will be reimbursed at double what you paid me for the advice.
Boodyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2011, 08:19 PM   #10
freakinheep89
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by coralman View Post
I saw something where you could just put a longer bolt in the rearmost hole and turn the wheel and the hub pops off.
Yup. go to the hardware store and get a grade 8 bolt of the same thread pitch and about an inch longer than the hub bearing bolts(take one with you for reference) and then thread it in to the rear hole, turn the wheel, and it will pop the hub off. otherwise you will be whacking away on it with a hammer.

[QUOTE=slayercr23;12630497]How would i go about Stroking it?[/QUOTE]
freakinheep89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2011, 09:13 PM   #11
jayeepee
1998 ZJ 

the axle nut is 180 ft lbs..
jayeepee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2011, 09:22 PM   #12
Foundrydude
1995 ZJ 

Stick a screwdriver into the rotor vents so you can break the hub nut loose with the wheel off the ground.
Foundrydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2011, 09:36 PM   #13
freakinheep89
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayeepee
the axle nut is 180 ft lbs..
Close. The axle nut is 175 ft/lbs, the 3 bolts holding the hub to the knuckle are torqued to 75 ft lbs.

[QUOTE=slayercr23;12630497]How would i go about Stroking it?[/QUOTE]
freakinheep89 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.