need tire or (TIRES) AND TRANSFER CASE - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > need tire or (TIRES) AND TRANSFER CASE

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 09-15-2008, 12:29 PM   #1
briguy55

need tire or (TIRES) AND TRANSFER CASE

I Am Wondering What The Biggest Tires I Can Put On My 96 Grand Cherokee Stock. Also Am Looking To Buy A New Transfer Case. My Ring And Pinion Gear Was Bald. I Need To Buy All The Neccessary Parts To Fix It By Winter.

Also If There Are Any Mechanics Out There Wanting To Make Some Side Money? I Live In Chicago. But Would Be Willing To Drive To Anyones House Within A Couple Hours And Help And Learn About Jeeps.

96 Grand Cherokee

96,000 Miles

briguy55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2008, 12:43 PM   #2
GraKee99
Rapist Wit

1999 WJ 

If off, what is with type the letter of every work in a capital. It is dumb. Second, engine model would help so we know what kind of transfer case you have or if you can just tell us what you have.

WJ, WK, CJ5

Colorado Jeep Club Member #188
GraKee99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2008, 12:47 PM   #3
Kruzin
1993 ZJ 

Why do you think you need to replace the tcase? Ring and pinion gears are in the axles.
Kruzin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2008, 06:33 PM   #4
Texas ZJ1
Jeep Jedi Master

1994 ZJ 

Biggest tires on a zj without rubbing 30x9.50 15s.

Hunter

94 5.9 Laredo 6.5 RE lift with 35 Maxxis Bighorns
and 33 Bridgestone Duelers
Detroit and true trac
Red Jeep Club Member
REDNECK JCM
Texas Jeep Owner #6
USN Jeep Club #4
http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/

For your performance needs:

kolak@kolakperformance.com
Texas ZJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2008, 07:22 PM   #5
briguy55

ok driving my jeep away from the dealer on the highway it made a loud noise and slowed down alot. i found the bad ring and pinion gear and it was all chewed up. I had a mechanic take it out. And right now i have only 2 wheel drive (rear) Then we have to cut all the bearings out to put the tires back on, and my transfer case, is wide open in the front no fluid. I will also need 2 new front axle shafts the outer and the inner i think. obviously im not very handy with cars im only 21 and always had mommy and daddy pay for it but out of college its my responsibility to fix it. I am pretty sure it 3.73 gear ratio. I remember that. . thanks guys
Unread 09-15-2008, 09:18 PM   #6
elmer_fud
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by briguy55 View Post
ok driving my jeep away from the dealer on the highway it made a loud noise and slowed down alot. i found the bad ring and pinion gear and it was all chewed up. I had a mechanic take it out. And right now i have only 2 wheel drive (rear) Then we have to cut all the bearings out to put the tires back on, and my transfer case, is wide open in the front no fluid. I will also need 2 new front axle shafts the outer and the inner i think. obviously im not very handy with cars im only 21 and always had mommy and daddy pay for it but out of college its my responsibility to fix it. I am pretty sure it 3.73 gear ratio. I remember that. . thanks guys
You are talking about the differential, not the Transfer case.

The transfer case is what that determines if you are in 2wd or 4wd and is in the center of the car. It does not have a ring and pinnion.

The cheapest thing to do may be replace the front axle. The axle contains the differential, which is what that is blown
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedycat View Post
I am not one to be changing lanes at 70 mph on a lifted truck on 33's, but since I am in Miami, I have to be prepared for the continuous influx of new drivers whose previous ride was a bicycle with wooden wheels.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPKites View Post
badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, Mushroom!!! :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeJay1997 View Post
Or just tie a 12 lb fish to a one foot pipe.
elmer_fud is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2008, 09:28 PM   #7
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

The cheapest thing to do may be replace the front axle. The axle contains the differential, which is what that is blown[/QUOTE]

I`ll second that , especially given your limited knowledge , it would also be the easiest solution .
Get one from a junk yard , preferably hit on the rear or maybe the r/side . Vehicles from accidents have a better chance of being good working parts
newfieZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2008, 10:26 PM   #8
briguy55

thanks guys! anyone have one laying around u know who to contact now!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.