Need sunroof troubleshooting help! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Need sunroof troubleshooting help!

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsJK Front Lower Adjustable Control Arms!

Unread 09-21-2013, 03:40 PM   #1
Football47
1998 ZJ 

Need sunroof troubleshooting help!

Well decided to re-do my headliner as well as fixing my sunroof motor or whatever is wrong with it. I just got my headliner off and now I'm messing with the sunroof motor. I tested to see if I was getting current from my motor inlet and I'm getting it but not every time that I threw the switch. I notice that the sunroof only really works when it's very hot inside my Jeep but the solders on the board that has the wires that go into it from the sunroof motor look okay. Sorry, don't know the technical name for it... I don't have a way to separately check the motor, so what should I do next? Oh and on a side note, how do you get the sunroof cover off, gotta re-do the material on that too...

Unread 09-21-2013, 05:41 PM   #2
Football47
1998 ZJ 

best write-up I found: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/h...unroof-317929/ Think it's my motor, but how do I get the sunroof cover off?
Unread 09-22-2013, 11:12 AM   #3
HighLonesome
Belief In All Things Jeep

1995 ZJ 

Apply battery voltage directly to the motor. If it turns, it's good of course.

If intermittent, then could be bad solder joint(s) inside the black box (controller). Sometimes they are difficult to spot and it takes a trained eye. I used to do MILSPEC soldering, so I use a 10x lens. That makes it easy to see defects.

no idea how to get the cover off

PM me if you want to send the controller to me to look over. FREE
Just pay ship to and fro.
HighLonesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2013, 11:58 AM   #4
Football47
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLonesome View Post
Apply battery voltage directly to the motor. If it turns, it's good of course.

If intermittent, then could be bad solder joint(s) inside the black box (controller). Sometimes they are difficult to spot and it takes a trained eye. I used to do MILSPEC soldering, so I use a 10x lens. That makes it easy to see defects.

no idea how to get the cover off

PM me if you want to send the controller to me to look over. FREE
Just pay ship to and fro.
Haha thanks, I used an electrical tester to check the switch and I tried the wire shorting method for the switch as well. It worked 90% of the time when I switched it on. I also used a battery on the motor and it didn't run, neither polarity worked. Went to the jy today but didn't find any motors. Btw you do some awesome write-ups, best ones I've ever seen!
Unread 09-22-2013, 12:07 PM   #5
HighLonesome

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Football47 View Post
Haha thanks, I used an electrical tester to check the switch and I tried the wire shorting method for the switch as well. It worked 90% of the time when I switched it on. I also used a battery on the motor and it didn't run, neither polarity worked. Went to the jy today but didn't find any motors. Btw you do some awesome write-ups, best ones I've ever seen!
Thanks!
Polarity doesn't matter on that motor. It should run either way. Sounds like you found the culprit.
Unread 09-22-2013, 12:21 PM   #6
Football47
1998 ZJ 

Okay so I believe it's the electrical part of my motor and not anything to do with wear and tear on the mechanical parts. I only found a 99 grand cherokee sunroof motor at the jy and it all looked identical to my 98 except the extra plug on the end of the motor with the gear showing. Could I just take the end with the plug and put it on my motor? Trying to find the cheapest way of doing this since you don't see a lot of Zj's with sunroofs.... Is there also anyway of repairing my motor rather than junking it?
Unread 09-22-2013, 12:42 PM   #7
HighLonesome

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Football47 View Post
Okay so I believe it's the electrical part of my motor and not anything to do with wear and tear on the mechanical parts. I only found a 99 grand cherokee sunroof motor at the jy and it all looked identical to my 98 except the extra plug on the end of the motor with the gear showing. Could I just take the end with the plug and put it on my motor? Trying to find the cheapest way of doing this since you don't see a lot of Zj's with sunroofs.... Is there also anyway of repairing my motor rather than junking it?
Don't have your answer except motors can be rebuilt. If you can find someone who knows how to do it and can findthe right parts.

Never heard of one of these motors failing. They really don't get much use.
Unread 09-22-2013, 06:19 PM   #8
Football47
1998 ZJ 

I think the last owner did work on this Jeep, when I got it the radio, a few dash lights rear windshield motor and all four speakers were not working, shortly after the two driver side door actuators stopped working and the sunroof motor worked on and off. My guess is he did some welding on it without disconnecting the battery? Anyways I'll look around for someone who can rebuild it, and checkout another junkyard since they are pretty cheap at the jy. Thanks for the input, much appreciated.
Unread 09-22-2013, 07:00 PM   #9
Kingr98
1998 ZJ 

The cover can come off from above. Open the sunroof all the way and close the sliding cover(forward).

From above, you will see four clips on the sliding cover, two on each side. Using a small screwdriver, pop each clip in and lift up.

The material will peel off. The handle pops off, but it will be fragile.

The edge around the opening just pulls off. I peeled the material off, sanded it as smooth as possible, and painted it a matching color.
Kingr98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2013, 09:59 PM   #10
Football47
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingr98 View Post
The cover can come off from above. Open the sunroof all the way and close the sliding cover(forward).

From above, you will see four clips on the sliding cover, two on each side. Using a small screwdriver, pop each clip in and lift up.

The material will peel off. The handle pops off, but it will be fragile.

The edge around the opening just pulls off. I peeled the material off, sanded it as smooth as possible, and painted it a matching color.
Awesome, because I can do this last. Thanks man! I was thinking about just leaving it but i think I may just re-do this as well.
Unread 09-23-2013, 05:03 AM   #11
Kingr98
1998 ZJ 

You need to redo it to match or it will look like crap. And the sunshade is very easy.

If you want to get really industrious, I have a thread on this forum on how to re-upholster your sun visors..
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/h...-post-1471837/
Kingr98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2013, 04:11 PM   #12
Eds97ZJ

Hey Football, LOL Can I get a pic of where the motor is located? I'm having same issue but don't want to remove my HL. Thought maybe I could cut out a section to work on motor. So if I use a heat gun on it I might be able to get it to run? It's stuck open in the first positon where it kinda resembles a fish fin. LOL

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.