Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Need some thoughts on my zj's value

1K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  ZaneMasterX 
#1 ·
I have a 94 zj laredo with the 5.2L, 3 inch lift with rancho 3500 shocks. I am looking into buying a wrangle or something a little smaller.

----------The Good-----------
132k Miles
Brand new 235/75/r15 tires with 500 miles.
No rust anywhere except a small bit of surface rust the size of a nickle on the back.
New alternator half a year ago.
Engine runs perfect, get complements on how nice it sounds and runs.
Flowmaster exhaust.
Oil change 700 miles ago.
2 extra steel rims and a good snow tire that matches the others.
New wheel bearing on the drivers side
new brake pads and rotors all around
No underbody rust, looks like it was undercoated before i purchased it.

-----------The bad-----------
Knocking/rumbling in the front end, was told and also seem to believe its the front diff. Drives with it the way it is for now, just not sure how long its going to last.

Thanks alot guys! :)

See less See more
#9 ·
I have constant offers of 3500+ for mine, just a 2"BB and some motor mods. Most on C list down here go for around 2k stock with high miles. it depends on the area really

#11 ·
If the differential is bad you might have troubles selling it for that price. Not everyone wants to buy a ZJ thats lifted like that. However winter is coming and you never know.. Just look up your craigslist area for Jeep grand cherokee's and check the prices.

In my area most Jeeps that are that old like yours only go for around $2500. The 96's and up go for like $3k+. I would say realisticly you'd be lucky yo get $3k, and once the person drives with and finds out the front end is bad you'll just get chewd down in price or they will walk away. Why spend 3k on a possible $1,000 repair when you can buy a newer Jeep that works for $4k ?

Not trying to bum you out, but this was my mentality when i was looking for Jeeps not to long ago.. We bought a 5.9 for $5350 instead of buying a $3500 Jeep that needed $1,000 in repairs. There are alot of Jeeps in Auto actions that have bad differentials, and they go for $1800 in my area

#12 ·
If the differential is bad you might have troubles selling it for that price. Not everyone wants to buy a ZJ thats lifted like that. However winter is coming and you never know.. Just look up your craigslist area for Jeep grand cherokee's and check the prices.

In my area most Jeeps that are that old like yours only go for around $2500. The 96's and up go for like $3k+. I would say realisticly you'd be lucky yo get $3k, and once the person drives with and finds out the front end is bad you'll just get chewd down in price or they will walk away. Why spend 3k on a possible $1,000 repair when you can buy a newer Jeep that works for $4k ?

Not trying to bum you out, but this was my mentality when i was looking for Jeeps not to long ago.. We bought a 5.9 for $5350 instead of buying a $3500 Jeep that needed $1,000 in repairs. There are alot of Jeeps in Auto actions that have bad differentials, and they go for $1800 in my area
I agree, people are very picky when it comes to buying cars. For example, if somebody put 2000 bucks into repairing a car, they can't just tack on an extra 2 grand to the price at which they were planning on selling it, nobody would buy it because they can get something in the same condition for significantly less

#13 ·
prices vary with location, a LOT. I got my 98 grand cherokee limited with every single avaliable option, except it has the i6 instead of the v8. That includes, but not limited to :

stage 4 trailer hitch
7 pin trailer wiring
LSD
3.73 gearing
heated leather 6 way power memory seats
power moon roof
Vehicle information center
MPG computer
heated mirrors
infinity gold 6 speaker sound system
ect

all it needed were tie rods and some rocker panel repair. it had 275,000 km (170,000 miles) and ran amazing. I paid 500$. Mind you i got a good deal on it because ive been helping the guy out a lot, but, around here that vehicle would go for no more than 2 grand.

#15 ·
I have noticed an increased want for them on the local C list. thus why I get constant offers to buy mine. I have 4 peoples numbers that say if I ever change my mind to call them but its not happening.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.