Need some help from Jeep guys - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Need some help from Jeep guys

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 07-06-2014, 10:33 AM   #1
DoubleG58

Need some help from Jeep guys

Hello, I'm new to this website. I have recently started a new business scrapping cars and selling parts. I have a dilemma and I'm sure someone here will be able to help. I have recently purchased a 2 wheel drive 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee limited. I must be honest, I bought it with the intention of removing some parts and sending it to shred.
I don't think this Jeep deserves that. Although not a Jeep guy, I am a car and truck guy and I appreciate decent vehicles. If it were 4wd I would not hesitate to fix it. It has a 5/15 virginia state inspection sticker and the tires are still roadworthy.
Here is the problem. It has a 318 that has been overheated and likely needs a head gasket at the least. The body is in pretty good shape, not beat up, not rusted. The interior is fair, the drivers seat is rough but the rest is just dirty. It seems to have some electrical issues, like the heater/ ac fan doesn't work and the electric locks are intermittent.
My question is this, would the 318 be worth the fix? If not what parts interchange with a 4wd?
I really hate to see this vehicle go to shred but I have to make a living. Any help is appreciated

DoubleG58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2014, 01:30 PM   #2
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

you are in a good business to own a ZJ because a lot of them get thrown away. you can probably scavenge enough spare parts to make a 4wd if you take your time.

IMO/position the 2WD to 4WD swap is not worth the cost/time/labor. you can pick up a clean 4wd for a couple thousand if you bide your time and look around.

the 2wd is a great daily driver, so if you like it for that, IMO it would be worth fixing the engine. i drive mine 60 miles every day. the electrical gremlins are abundant on these things and usually not too hard to track down if you have a meter and diagram.

to answer some of your questions, you would need to find a pcm to match the drive train and engine. a 96 or 97 would work. then the rest will bolt in. just be sure the gear ratios match on back to front. i'm not much of a 4wd guy so maybe someone else can elaborate.

the 4wd conversion has been done and posted numerous times and you can search with the google function in upper left hand corner of the web page.

welcome to jf
ZeeJay1997 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.