Need some advice on 96 GC Laredo was stalling but now battery is dying - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Need some advice on 96 GC Laredo was stalling but now battery is dying

NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDRear Disc Brake Conversion Kit- TJ,YJ,XJSWAG 50 Cal Ammo Can Mount With M2A1 Can

Unread 06-24-2013, 09:04 PM   #16
mcp2009
1996 ZJ 

Didn't have time to work on today but it started right up and I took it for a spin about 45 mins ago because there's not much traffic. Drove around for 10-15 minutes going 20 to 38 mph and hit some stop signs. Jeep didn't shut off at all during the drive but it was all short distances because it was a small neighborhood. I also sat with my foot on the break while on drive for a little. Can't really tell if it sounds unusual because I have an exhaust leak according to my mechanic and it makes the vehicle loud, I wish there was a better way to test it because I feel like it still isn't fixed for some reason, all I did was clean PCM plugs and put dielectric grease on them and I don't feel like that would just fix it. Gonna go through what I can from the list tomorrow since I have a full day off and then gonna try driving it. After that I'm gonna see if my mechanic has a way of getting the car because I don't wanna risk driving it too far and I'll let him take a look

mcp2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2013, 05:16 AM   #17
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

sounds like your problem, or at least part of it, lies at the PCM and/or connectors. did you do the wiggle test afterwards?
ZeeJay1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2013, 09:17 AM   #18
mcp2009
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeJay1997 View Post
sounds like your problem, or at least part of it, lies at the PCM and/or connectors. did you do the wiggle test afterwards?
Wiggled it when the car was on before I cleaned the connectors and nothing happened but I cleaned the connectors and put the grease on just in case. I'll try wiggling it when it's on today
Unread 06-25-2013, 12:10 PM   #19
mcp2009
1996 ZJ 

Tried wiggling each connector while I had it on and nothing happened. Also tried tapping it and nothing happened. I tried hitting the pdc while the car was on and nothing happened. I then took each relay and fuses out and sprayed some cleaner on them. I didn't do the step where you switch the fuel pump relay with the horn and the wiper with asd because I wasn't sure exactly what to do. Do i put all other relays in but just switch those around and then put the battery and start it? Then am I suppose to try the horn and drive around? Sorry don't mean to sound stupid but I don't wanna screw anything up. I might take it for a spin to see if it stalls just hate getting stuck
Unread 06-25-2013, 12:33 PM   #20
Oldfrog
Web Wheeler
1997 ZJ 

Those relays are 100% duty cycle and are cheap to replace. If they are18 years old, eliminate them as your issue by either swapping them around or replacing them.

Words of wisdom, Posted by Zeejay:
"..it's not air, it is the opposite of air... suckage so to speak."

Stalling? Work through Zeejay's list
Oldfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2013, 12:56 PM   #21
JohnnyZJ
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

your battery is bad, the guy you said is 'useless' was right.

eventually you're gonna run out of free fixes and have to spend some money. sorry.

RIP 95 ZJ ~ 33s built/longarmed/locked/awesome Feb 2014 ZJOTM winner
JohnnyZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2013, 02:04 PM   #22
mcp2009
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyZJ View Post
your battery is bad, the guy you said is 'useless' was right.

eventually you're gonna run out of free fixes and have to spend some money. sorry.
Took it for a spin and it didn't stop on me at all. Just saw your post so took it to another Advance by my house and they confirmed it has a dead cell so gonna put a new one in. Didn't mean to sound like a ****** when I called him useless but the week before when they tested it they said it was good and the next day after he tested it they said it was good it just seemed like he wanted to sell me a battery and that's it.
Unread 06-25-2013, 02:14 PM   #23
JohnnyZJ
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

no worries dude.
i read through the hole thread waiting to see 'battery' but it never came up.

not that i know everything, but i've seen a lot of really random electrical problems solved by a good battery; they can be finicky. i hope it solves the rest of the issues and no other ones come up. but at least you can rule battery out, and can confirm you always have good power.

also, since you're replacing it, clean up the terminals, make sure they are nice and clean/new. might as well. alot of other electrical issues come up from loose/bad posts.

best of luck

Unread 06-25-2013, 04:05 PM   #24
mcp2009
1996 ZJ 

Ok got new battery in and seemed like it started up faster after he installed it. He pointed out that by battery terminals looked bad and my negative one had a crack on both sides so I bought new ones. Once I got home I installed them and when i tried to start the car it didn't wanna start. Took like 3 tries and then it started. Not to sure why it would do that, could installing new terminals cause it to not start right away or is that just a sign that it's not fixed :-(
Unread 06-25-2013, 04:12 PM   #25
Will9119
1996 ZJ 

Try replacing the ignition coil.
Will9119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2013, 10:55 PM   #26
mcp2009
1996 ZJ 

Drove it around a few places and no stalling. We'll see tomorrow what happens on the way to work
Unread 06-26-2013, 11:48 AM   #27
JohnnyZJ
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcp2009 View Post
Ok got new battery in and seemed like it started up faster after he installed it. He pointed out that by battery terminals looked bad and my negative one had a crack on both sides so I bought new ones. Once I got home I installed them and when i tried to start the car it didn't wanna start. Took like 3 tries and then it started. Not to sure why it would do that, could installing new terminals cause it to not start right away or is that just a sign that it's not fixed :-(
i bought a vehicle off a guy once because he swore 'the electrical system is ****ed'

the battery terminals were loose.

sometimes you have to it a few times before they stay tight. i know from experience. make sure they are super tight and theres no play, specifically where you crimp down the wires to the new terminals you bought. as tight as you can make those.

Unread 06-26-2013, 12:32 PM   #28
mcp2009
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyZJ View Post
i bought a vehicle off a guy once because he swore 'the electrical system is ****ed'

the battery terminals were loose.

sometimes you have to it a few times before they stay tight. i know from experience. make sure they are super tight and theres no play, specifically where you crimp down the wires to the new terminals you bought. as tight as you can make those.
Tried starting it twice today and it started fine. Saw your post and went out and tightened clamps on wire and tightened to terminal as much as I could. Tried starting again and it's still starting fine. The real test will be when I drive it to work in an hour. Hopefully it doesn't stall on me in the middle of the heavy traffic
Unread 06-27-2013, 04:29 PM   #29
mcp2009
1996 ZJ 

Car drove fine today and from work yesterday and even went to the gym after work with no issues. Drove to the gym today which is about 1 and a half miles and when heading home I felt it start to stall so I quickly turned into a parking lot and the second stop sign in there it stopped. Tried starting for like 6 minutes and it finally started on like the 10th try. Drove it home since I was about 3 minutes away and once I backed into my spot it shut off and wouldn't start. Tried wiggling the pcm real quick while trying to start and nothing. Since its pouring I headed inside for now.
Unread 06-27-2013, 05:46 PM   #30
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

so far you've cleaned and reseated the PCM connectors and changed battery.

what else?

you have dig to beat these things.
ZeeJay1997 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.