Need some advice on 96 GC Laredo was stalling but now battery is dying - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Need some advice on 96 GC Laredo was stalling but now battery is dying

Savvy FREE SHIPPING!Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Artec Holiday Sale!

Unread 06-21-2013, 11:31 AM   #1
mcp2009
1996 ZJ 

Need some advice on 96 GC Laredo was stalling but now battery is dying

My 96 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo was stalling when coming to stops or just braking. After it stalled I could usually start it right back up or I would have to try a couple times but I had to be careful because if I tried starting it too much the battery would die. Took it to my mechanic and he said the fuel pump was bad so I got it replaced. All seemed well and then a few days later after coming home from the gym right when I parked the car shut off. This time I had to hook up my charger for it too start. I made sure it started and then turned it off, the next day in the morning battery is dead so I charge it up again and drive around to a couple places and it doesn't stop at all. Then I decide to go to a buddy's house and sure enough the damn thing stops on the highway after sitting at a light for a few mins. This time I figured it'd be like before when I got the fuel pump replaced so I try to start it but the battery seems dead luckily a good Samaritan helps push it into a parking lot for me.

Since my buddy lives around the corner he drives over to jump my car and after a few mins we get it started but less than a minute after we unhook the cables my damn car shuts off. We jump it again and make it part way to advance auto but it shuts off at another light and we have to push it the rest. We get there and the guy was completely useless, just says the battery is bad and tries to sell me a new one (week prior they said batt was good). We get it jumped again and try to drive to my friends house and it shuts off about 4 times on the way back but starts right back up. We make it to his house and leave it there and I borrow his car.

Come back the next day and battery is dead, my mechanic said check the battery and alternator so we take the battery out and put it on the charger while I remove the alternator. Take them both to advance and they say both are good battery just needs more charge, go to auto zone and they say alternator is good but battery is bad, and lastly we go to NTB and they can only test the battery but they say it is bad but it possibly could just need a recharge since it's been out the car for an hour or more. After all that we just put everything back in and I didn't want to risk driving it on the highway again. I plan on getting it towed to my house so it's closer for me too look at and I have no car to drive over there when I'm off work.

Sorry for the long story but I figured I'd say exactly what happened. I plan on trying method number 1 tomorrow but this whole ordeal is frustrating. Guy at NTB says take it to a dealer but I have no extra cash right now due to getting this fuel pump. I'm not car savy at all and only took the alternator out due to a helpful youtube video but I'm gonna try some methods on this thread but if anyone has any guesses or assumptions please let me know

mcp2009 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2013, 12:05 PM   #2
JS97ZJ
1997 ZJ 

The battery dying over night is probably being caused by a bad hatch ajar switch has gone bad. When it goes, the BCM doesn't go fully asleep and causes a 180 ma drain. It should be 30 ma. Remove the rear hatch cover and look for this,

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/f.../#post14805359

The shutting down problem can be solved by going through Zee's 12 things list (I see you found it already) You can save some steps by ty-wrapping the pcm as shown in his thread. If it improves, you've found the problem and can go on repairing it if you can solder or replace it.

In any event, it would still be recommended to get the entire electronics system cleaned up in order to avoid future problems or just solve the one your faced with.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/9...tures-1303589/
JS97ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2013, 05:14 PM   #3
mcp2009
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS97ZJ View Post
The battery dying over night is probably being caused by a bad hatch ajar switch has gone bad. When it goes, the BCM doesn't go fully asleep and causes a 180 ma drain. It should be 30 ma. Remove the rear hatch cover and look for this,

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/f.../#post14805359

The shutting down problem can be solved by going through Zee's 12 things list (I see you found it already) You can save some steps by ty-wrapping the pcm as shown in his thread. If it improves, you've found the problem and can go on repairing it if you can solder or replace it.

In any event, it would still be recommended to get the entire electronics system cleaned up in order to avoid future problems or just solve the one your faced with.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/9...tures-1303589/
Sweet will look at that thread tonight after work and check on that tomorrow. Now one question I have is when I got the jeep 2 years ago the latch for the back actually didn't work so they fixed it for me at the dealer but my VIC has never told me if it was open does that make it seem more like the tailgate to you?
Unread 06-21-2013, 06:38 PM   #4
JS97ZJ
1997 ZJ 

Some times it will not register with the BCM/VIC. I had to repair mine a couple of months ago for the same problem. My new battery died overnight
JS97ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2013, 06:45 PM   #5
carrasaurus
1996 ZJ 

I'll bet you need a new BCM. I experienced the same thing over the course of two years. I think the stalling PCM connector problem combined with multiple jump starts and constant draining recharging of the battery ultimately damages the BCM leading to the 180mA drain. At least that is what I experienced. I replaced the BCM and all has been fine... Until...

Until I got t-boned 2 weeks ago. So now I'm offering my jeep for sale for parts or fun. Its posted in the For Sale section as well as a quick post on this ZJ forum. I'm in Virginia if anyone is interested, I'm not shipping parts - locals only, DC metro area.
carrasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2013, 11:55 PM   #6
mcp2009
1996 ZJ 

Just got the car towed home and realized when my friend was putting the tension pulley back on he forget to clip back one connection. After connecting it again the car started. I got the car parked now but it sounds like it's sputtering. ABS and Check Gauges light are on. The Check Gauges light seems to be on because the Voltmeter Gauge is at zero and I have no idea why . Gonna go get the battery charged tomorrow evening and gonna get some gas in car and let it run to see if it shuts off also gonna try some of the 12 steps and look into the hatch ajar switch.
Unread 06-22-2013, 12:19 AM   #7
Oldfrog
Web Wheeler
1997 ZJ 

Check connections at alternator and at battery. Alt could be bad....which would cause 100 other problems...

Words of wisdom, Posted by Zeejay:
"..it's not air, it is the opposite of air... suckage so to speak."

Stalling? Work through Zeejay's list
Oldfrog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2013, 12:20 AM   #8
mcp2009
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfrog View Post
Check connections at alternator and at battery. Alt could be bad....which would cause 100 other problems...
Ok I'll give it a look tomorrow. Just put the alternator back in after getting it tested twice and was told it was good though. I'll double check the connections like you said
Unread 06-22-2013, 09:52 PM   #9
mcp2009
1996 ZJ 

Oh god I feel so stupid . I got home late today and tried to start the car and it would start with a jump but you had to press the gas and when you would let go it would die. So I went to make sure I had connected everything properly back to the alternator and battery and sure enough there was a red wire I forgot to put in. I feel so stupid, but I'm still proud I was able to take an alternator out without ever working on cars before. I didn't get to do test anything else sadly because by the time I got the battery out it was already getting dark. Now that the wire is connected to the alternator the ABS light is gone and the voltmeter is working. Car started up with a jump and I sat in it for 10-15 minutes and it didn't shut off then I turned it off waited a minute and it started.
Figured I'd come update and now I'm gonna try driving it around a parking lot to see if it stops. Also gonna see if the battery is dead in the morning which will tell me for sure something is draining the battery still. First thing I think I may check is the hatch ajar switch. If it's still charged in the morning maybe that will be a good sign, is it possible that there might of been a loose connection on the alternator and removing it then putting it back in could of fixed it?
Unread 06-22-2013, 10:05 PM   #10
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcp2009 View Post
is it possible that there might of been a loose connection on the alternator and removing it then putting it back in could of fixed it?
Anything is possible.

How many times did you remove and reinstall it and did you replace it?
ZeeJay1997 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2013, 10:17 PM   #11
mcp2009
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeJay1997 View Post
Anything is possible.

How many times did you remove and reinstall it and did you replace it?
Removed it once got it checked at 2 different auto stores and was told it was good. And put it back in once. Just took it on a drive and it ran well then I got too confident and drove further down the street. Stopped at a light and sure enough it stopped but this time the battery isn't dead. Luckily a kind person helped me push it into a parking lot and I'm waiting a few minutes and gonna try to start it again

Update 10 Mins later: Ok hooked up battery pack to make sure battery wouldn't die while trying to start and got it started. Cut through a parking lot just in case it stopped I didn't wanna be in traffic when braking before the exit of the parking lot to turn it stopped but started right back up. Luckily my house was right there so pulled in and while pressing the brake backing into my parking spot it stopped. Tried starting it twice with no luck had my mom come out to steer while I pushed and she tried to start it and it worked. As soon as she pulled into the spot it stopped before she even hit the brakes tried to start a few times and no luck so I just came inside to post. Doesn't seem to much like a battery drain issue to me now so I may check the PCM tomorrow evening after work i'd check it now but it's 11:34pm here and too dark.

Last edited by mcp2009; 06-22-2013 at 10:34 PM..
Unread 06-22-2013, 10:56 PM   #12
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

Read the dirty dozen linked below. Sounds like you had more than one problem.
ZeeJay1997 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2013, 11:01 PM   #13
mcp2009
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeJay1997 View Post
Read the dirty dozen linked below. Sounds like you had more than one problem.
Yea already got it bookmarked. My only concern is it seems to stall at random times so probably the only time I'll say this but I hope it stalls tomorrow so I can try some things to see if it starts
Unread 06-22-2013, 11:53 PM   #14
mcp2009
1996 ZJ 

Nvm read some info wrong

Last edited by mcp2009; 06-23-2013 at 12:14 AM..
Unread 06-23-2013, 09:52 PM   #15
mcp2009
1996 ZJ 

Another update got off late as usual so I didn't have much time today again but first thing I did was take the coolant reservoir out just to get a good look at the PCM then put it back. Tried to start the jeep and wouldn't start till I put my foot on the gas but once I took my foot off it would just cut off. Tried a few times with the same result and then finally tried it without putting my foot on the gas again and after holding the key for a few seconds it finally started. I then turned it off and sure enough it wouldn't start again no matter what even what my foot on the gas. Didn't think it could of been anything I did because all I did was remove and reinstall the coolant sensor so I figured i'd clean the connectors for the PCM and put some dielectric grease on the connectors wasn't to sure if it would solve it but figured I'd get it out of the way. After doing all that the car did start again but I'm pretty sure that's because it was sitting for about 30-45 mins. I didn't want to risk driving it so I just sat parked with it on for about 10 mins and it sounded like it was sputtering but never shut off but I didn't expect it to because it didn't yesterday when on while parked but when I drove around it stopped 3 times. I did notice it squeals when the A/C on but from what I saw online I probably didn't tighten the tensioner enough and the belt is probably loose. Hopefully when I have the full day off Tuesday I can do more. I know these little updates aren't much to go by but if anyone see's anything and has ideas let me know. I'm reading over 3 & 4 on the list right now and may try looking at the PDC but we'll see Tuesday I guess

Edit: Also should note I did not have to jump my car at all and battery did not die.

Last edited by mcp2009; 06-23-2013 at 11:24 PM..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.