Need to replace one of my tweeters! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Need to replace one of my tweeters!

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 06-17-2009, 02:14 PM   #1
DjDiddles
2002 WJ 

Need to replace one of my tweeters!

So about 2-3 weeks after buying my WJ I have already blown out my passenger side tweeter!! Now it sounds terrible if I turn my stereo up! Is it hard to replace them? I just want to pick up a cheap pair and replace them both but not sure how to do it! Thanks!!

Colorado Jeep Club #977
DjDiddles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-17-2009, 02:30 PM   #2
ezflip
NEWS FLASH It snows in MI

2002 WJ 

Just buy some new ones, rewire and mount them somewhere else. It is next to impossible to find ones that fit in the original mounts and a b**** to get to them.

2002 Overland - 4.7 HO, "Select-Drive", 4" RC long arms, TAG front winch bumper, 32" BFG KM's, Kolak 3" exhaust, Flowmaster 50 series

Build Thread

ezflip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-17-2009, 02:43 PM   #3
acmf74

I bought some infinity's and they fit well and sound ok.
acmf74 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-17-2009, 05:31 PM   #4
DjDiddles
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by acmf74 View Post
I bought some infinity's and they fit well and sound ok.
Did you have to pull that whole dash panel off? I'm not big on wiring and the electronics but hopefully I can have a friend help!
Colorado Jeep Club #977
Unread 06-17-2009, 05:42 PM   #5
JG_Canuck
2000 WJ 

To gain access use a plastic spatula or something similar and simply pry up on the edge of the panel covering the tweeters.
Unread 06-17-2009, 06:12 PM   #6
gmp211
2002 WJ 

A little trick; fade your stereo to the back until the buzzing of the tweeter goes away. I have mine 90% to the rear and I don't hear the tweeter at all.

Check this site out.
http://www.wjjeeps.com/audio.htm

Last edited by gmp211; 06-17-2009 at 08:34 PM..
gmp211 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2009, 07:56 AM   #7
Double E
2000 Laredo V8

2000 WJ 

The tweets are a cinch to replace, as said just pop off the trim part and there you go. I picked up a set of Pioneer replacements from Radioshack several years ago and they dropped right in after I tweaked the outer plastic housing of the speaker a bit.
Changes & fixes: Rear Addco sway bar & greasble bushings, upgraded headlights, upgraded tail lights, new hood struts (replaced 2X), new rear hatchglass struts, new radiator (replaced 3X), new oil pressure sending unit (replaced 4X), 2 new speed sensors, 2 new door lock actuators, new ignition key cylinder, chrome front tow hooks, Mobil 1 Synthetic 5/30, Purolator Pure One oil filter, EBC slotted & dimpled rotors, EBC Greenstuff pads, new front shocks (replaced 3X), new rear shocks (replaced 2X), new IRO steering stabilizer, new timing chain cover, new water pump, thermostat, new thermostat housing, new high pressure power steering hose, Michelin-X radials, new sunroof assembly, new single-piece lug nuts, new exhaust manifold studs & gasket on driver's side, new Durango alternator. Jeepforum.com sticker, Visit cobaltboatsforum.com when you can!
Double E is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2009, 09:17 AM   #8
JacksonsHole
1999 WJ 

I'm no good at wiring either and have been replacing all my speakers in my WJ....

The dash speakers are far and away the easiest. The vent piece of the dash pops right out and the speakers are easily accessible.

This started a fight last time I said this (about a year ago....still no issues haters!!!), but I bought cheap Blaupunkt full range 3.5" off of eBay and installed them with ZERO modifications.

My one complaint.....they are TOO loud. They overwhelm us in the front, so I fade mostly to the rear and it sounds great.

Good luck! Piece of cake install....and a great way to start tinkering with the WJ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG_Canuck View Post
To gain access use a plastic spatula or something similar and simply pry up on the edge of the panel covering the tweeters.
JacksonsHole is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2009, 11:26 AM   #9
YJDuff
2002 WJ 

If you don't want to spend the money on replacing it. You could just use some black silicone and seal the crack in the tweeter let it dry for a day and put it back in. HTH
245/75/16 Goodyear MT/R
Rusty's Tow Hooks
YJDuff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2009, 11:39 AM   #10
JG_Canuck
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YJDuff View Post
If you don't want to spend the money on replacing it. You could just use some black silicone and seal the crack in the tweeter let it dry for a day and put it back in. HTH
x2. I used some speaker service cement to improve the crappy stock surrounds. Did this 2 years ago, and had been fine ever since. And yes, I do occasionally crank it waaaay up.
Unread 06-18-2009, 11:47 AM   #11
ezflip
NEWS FLASH It snows in MI

2002 WJ 

Hmmm, didn't know that whole dash piece pops out like that. There I was trying to figure out a way to get to them from underneath. Thats why I just said the hell with those and got three way 6x9's in the door. They sound just as good IMO.

2002 Overland - 4.7 HO, "Select-Drive", 4" RC long arms, TAG front winch bumper, 32" BFG KM's, Kolak 3" exhaust, Flowmaster 50 series

Build Thread

ezflip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2009, 11:49 AM   #12
pointech
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I bought some off eBay...many to choose from (including factory replacements) and most include instructions.
pointech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2009, 12:39 PM   #13
DjDiddles
2002 WJ 

Nice! Thanks for all the advice! Doens't sound as hard as I thought!! Hopefully I can get to them soon!
Colorado Jeep Club #977
Unread 06-18-2009, 03:03 PM   #14
00Limited
2000 WJ 

Very easy, I would say the hardest part is getting the screws out. I had to use a flexible hose screwdriver(snake) as I call it and they came right out. Very easy switch out. Make sure to be sure that the cover goes back on all the way, I have a slight rattle now from not making sure I secured it back good enough and when it pisses me off enough one day, I'll fix it. I bought some factory replacements on ebay for like $30 shipped.
Unread 06-19-2009, 04:00 AM   #15
JMOSS
1999 WJ 

As i wrote some time ago:

You can fix it by yourself, I did 1 and half year ago and they work perfectly.

The problem is to explain it, i'm italian.

I try:

Obvisuoly you have to disconnect them

then you have to buy Vinavil
I dont know if you have it in your country but its just the standard white liquid wood working glue, used also for paper....
Vinavil - Vinyl and acrylic emulsions for paints, adhesives, paper.
Buy someting similar if you dont find it in US.

Then you need toilet paper, yes, not joking....

Put paper on tweeter membrane and put some glue all over, attacking also the edges of the tweeter.

wait one day....

That's it.

$ ???? 1 box?

this tips come from technical musical instruments expert....
99 WJ 4.7V8 Limited QTII , LPG system, 180° Tstat, Magnaflow cat, Up country coil springs, Procomp MX6 shocks absorber, ADDCO swaybars & gresonable bushings, General Grabber AT2 tires, Usa spec pa-chr11 Ipod interface.
JMOSS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.