need to replace exhaust system am I on right track? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > need to replace exhaust system am I on right track?

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 01-07-2014, 06:00 PM   #1
cpeters1965
1995 ZJ 

need to replace exhaust system am I on right track?

Good day unto all,
Started my ZJ today due to the cold snap going on here and started up fine. Then I noticed it was smoking "more than usual" I took a look underneath and found that the pipes front and back have pretty much turned to swiss cheese! As this car I have found it's orginal owner was a "babboon with a hammer" type I am opting to swap out whole system as I am also positive it is all the original stock equipment. I am putting together a parts list over on Rock Auto and would like all your opinion will what I have priced so far work? I just want to unbolt old system and bolt on new and be done (with this part anyway ) below is what I have priced and I believe they are all direct fit just want some confirmation.

All numbers and prices are from Rock Auto who have been spot on in the past
WALKER Part # 15820 Walker EPA Ultra Direct Fit Converter 117.79
WALKER Part # 18444 Walker SoundFX Direct Fit Muffler 32.79
WALKER Part # 54448 Walker Front Pipe 48.79
WALKER Part # 54079 walker Tail Pipe 25.99

cpeters1965 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2014, 03:46 PM   #2
cpeters1965
1995 ZJ 

Please anyone?
Unread 01-08-2014, 03:55 PM   #3
zjosh93
1993 ZJ 

What year and engine on the ZJ? It says you have a 1995 FSJ Cherokee but you are asking about a ZJ...
zjosh93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2014, 04:15 PM   #4
cpeters1965
1995 ZJ 

Thats odd. I have a 97 GCL
Unread 01-08-2014, 04:37 PM   #5
zjosh93
1993 ZJ 

Double check the tail pipe. If you click the info button by the 54079 it brings up a diagram (below) and tells you you need a separate hanger for that pipe. The muffler you picked has a 3" outlet so it won't work with the tailpipe without modification. The proper muffler is 18444.

It looks like those parts will work together for a bolt/clamp on system. I'm worried that the cat outlet and muffler inlet might not get along but they don't list an intermediate pipe so probably all is good.
62013_1139.jpg

Unread 01-08-2014, 04:39 PM   #6
cpeters1965
1995 ZJ 

Cool thanks although I am now confused just ran my vin and says its a 95 Grand cherokee laredo.
Unread 01-08-2014, 04:39 PM   #7
Compgeek789
1994 ZJ 

You can go to your auto parts store and get a new cat, and then go to flow master for a system from in front of the muffler to the tail pipe. This is what I plan to do if my exhaust falls apart again. Just plug in your trucks make, model, year and engine.
Unread 01-08-2014, 04:42 PM   #8
HighLonesome
Belief In All Things Jeep

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpeters1965 View Post
Cool thanks although I am now confused just ran my vin and says its a 95 Grand cherokee laredo.
What does the title say?
HighLonesome is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2014, 04:51 PM   #9
cpeters1965
1995 ZJ 

Will check tonight and post. This is what I get for trying to do this while working lol
Unread 01-08-2014, 04:52 PM   #10
zjosh93
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLonesome View Post
What does the title say?
You can also check the door jam sticker for the build date and the underhood sticker for the emissions year. Not that the OEMs don't sometimes use up whatever parts they have lying around.
Unread 01-08-2014, 05:13 PM   #11
HighLonesome
Belief In All Things Jeep

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjosh93 View Post
You can also check the door jam sticker for the build date and the underhood sticker for the emissions year. Not that the OEMs don't sometimes use up whatever parts they have lying around.
Either way I wouldn't buy all that Walker crap. And I would make sure I needed a new y-pipe. Don't hear of them being replaced too often.
HighLonesome is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2014, 06:14 PM   #12
misfit77
1996 ZJ 

I would check craigslist. I bought a cat and muffler piping for a V8 and put it in my 4.0.

Biggest issue was getting the dam thing apart and the previous owner cut the downpipe too short to put the aftermaret cat on.
I couldn't find anyone to weld the OEM cat back. Normally you could just clamp it in.
misfit77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2014, 08:16 PM   #13
zjosh93
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLonesome View Post
Either way I wouldn't buy all that Walker crap. And I would make sure I needed a new y-pipe. Don't hear of them being replaced too often.
I agree. All those horrible crimp bends. We sold that stuff when I sold parts; good to get exhaust from the engine to the back but bad flow and often fitment issues.

Tags
catalytic converter , exhaust , replacement , system , zj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.