Need quick advice please! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Need quick advice please!

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wWarn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCORRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 07-16-2014, 01:42 PM   #1
thefowlerfam
1996 ZJ 

Need quick advice please!

Hi, I'm new to the forum so 1st I want to say thanks to everyone on here for the great information I've learned on here.

I have a 96 2WD ZJ Grand Cherokee Laredo with the 4.0L 6cyl. I had to drive from Florida to Louisiana to help my mom who recently lost her husband. Before I left my front tires were wearing on the outside edge. I knew they wouldn't make the trip (about 700 miles) but I was on a very limited budget. So I had planned on buying 2 used but in good shape tires to drive up. The rear tires still have around 40-60% tread on them. Well I guess I must have the most popular size tire in the state of FL (225/75 15). So the only tires I could find close to that size in decent shape were 225/70 15's. They were 2 different tires. One is a Firestone Destination LE and the other is a Bridgestone Dueler H/T (these are temp tires, I will be getting all 4 tires replaced when I get the funds)

Now the tires I have on the Jeep are Kuhmo Solus KR21's. When I bought the 2 used tires, I had them take the 2 rear tires and put them on the front and put the used ones on the rear. I had to leave so quick I didn't notice the difference in the size of the tires. I didn't think there would have been that much of a difference in size. Now I have to drive back to FL coming up this Friday. This time I'm on even a tighter budget. Should I put the rear used tires on the front? They are 2 different brands, which is why I'm wondering if I should just keep them in the rear. I notice that the smaller tires in the back did throw my speedo off.

Sorry for the long post, I wanted to make sure all the details were there. Please reply to this post ASAP...my main goal is safety. I'm gonna have my wife and 2 year old son with me, and not only am I driving back to FL on these tires, I'm also driving back to Louisiana after 3-4 days. We're moving here to help my mother.

Anyways once again sorry for the long post, and I want to thank everyone in advanced for their quick replies and the advice I need.

thefowlerfam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2014, 01:52 PM   #2
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Put the same sized/brand tires in the rear and the used mismatched in the front since it's RWD.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2014, 02:00 PM   #3
thefowlerfam
1996 ZJ 

Thank you very much for the quick reply. That's what I'll do. I was in such a hurry the 1st time that I didn't even think. As soon as I get back from FL I'm going to put all new tires on there. I'm gonna use the Kuhmo's again if I can find them for the price I paid for them before. I paid $335 out the door for all 4 Kuhmo Solus KR21's in FL. Hopefully I can find them for that or even cheaper up here. They have been great tires. I do have a little alignment issue to take care of first though. Thanks again!!
Unread 07-16-2014, 02:36 PM   #4
94cherry
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
Put the same sized/brand tires in the rear and the used mismatched in the front since it's RWD.
I disagree with this. Since the front are steering they ware faster and you want the better tread in the front to help prevent hydroplaning. Since he knows the Kuhmos are in pretty good shape imo they would be safer on the front.
Unread 07-16-2014, 03:43 PM   #5
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94cherry View Post
I disagree with this. Since the front are steering they ware faster and you want the better tread in the front to help prevent hydroplaning. Since he knows the Kuhmos are in pretty good shape imo they would be safer on the front.
You don't think that two different sized tires spinning at different speeds on the drive axle would be bad?
Unread 07-16-2014, 03:50 PM   #6
94cherry
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
You don't think that two different sized tires spinning at different speeds on the drive axle would be bad?
He said both used tires are 225/70 15's but different brand names. Since both of the Kuhmos match in size and I'm assuming tread depth it would be better to have them on the front.
Unread 07-16-2014, 03:51 PM   #7
HighLonesome
Belief In All Things Jeep

1995 ZJ 

lesser of 2 evils question

take the bus
HighLonesome is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2014, 04:09 PM   #8
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLonesome View Post
lesser of 2 evils question

take the bus
Or train....
Unread 07-16-2014, 04:11 PM   #9
94cherry
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Or train....
Or covered wagon.
Unread 07-17-2014, 12:58 PM   #10
thefowlerfam
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94cherry View Post
He said both used tires are 225/70 15's but different brand names. Since both of the Kuhmos match in size and I'm assuming tread depth it would be better to have them on the front.
Well actually the Kuhmo's are 225/75 15's and the used are 225/70 15's...but as of now it doesn't matter. Everyone that's saying to take the bus or the wagon (lol) their the closest to what I'm doing. The Jeep decided that she didn't want to go. I found some small but potentially dangerous issues. My hood latch in the cab broke today when I was opening the hood to do a oil change and instead of taking a risk with the hood flying open on I-10 at 70mph, my mother was kind enough to let me use her car to go. No need to take any risks with tires or the hood when I'm gonna have my wife and youngest son in the car. Plus I'll save a ton on gas $$ I can fix everything when I get back.

Thanks so much for the quick replies...I'm sure I'll have plenty more questions to ask, as I love my Jeep and plan on keeping it for awhile.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.