Need to pump brakes in order to get pressure - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Need to pump brakes in order to get pressure

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDual Color LED Light Bars White/Amber

Unread 02-04-2010, 08:45 AM   #31
Falkon
2004 WJ 

Yet a bad caliper alone shouldn't cause the spongy pedal. It's doing the replacement that will introduce air into the lines that will do it.

So unless Vdub opened the system it's doubtful there is air in a line. Most likely a bad MC that's causing the problem. Not the booster. Vacuum has nothing to do w/ it either.

Last edited by Falkon; 02-04-2010 at 12:35 PM..
Falkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2010, 04:50 PM   #32
vdub
1994 ZJ 

ok im picking up a MC tonight.. prolly gonna bench bleed it and put it in tomorrow.. i never opened the system to introduce air so im guessing my MC just went bad. napa has an MC for $53 with lifetime warranty
vdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2010, 06:21 PM   #33
khanson
1993 ZJ 

soft peddel

it could be master cylinder but check for brake fluid leak at all four wheels if you have a leak there will be fluid running down caliper or brake line or inback you will see it running down brake drum to rim and tire that means you have a leak so no press at pedel
khanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2010, 08:15 PM   #34
Falkon
2004 WJ 

Reread the whole post please.
Falkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2010, 09:17 PM   #35
vdub
1994 ZJ 

No fluid leak anywhere for me or the OP
vdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2010, 07:35 PM   #36
FortCollinsZJ
1993 ZJ 

Same issue and symptoms here. I have a very soft pedal that eventually builds pressure but experienced some new issues, today had it in 2 low (front driveshaft out) once the brake pressure was built, the front brakes will lock, but the rears absolutely won't. So being in low range, with the brakes on, the rear wheels just kept pushing me forward, the front tires were just pushing up piles of snow. Definitly the master cylinder failing.
FortCollinsZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2010, 10:12 PM   #37
XJWJZX3
2001 WJ 

Service Manuals FTW

LOW PEDAL

If a low pedal is experienced, pump the pedal several times. If the pedal comes back up, the most likely causes are worn linings, rotors, or calipers are not sliding on the slide pins.

The proper course of action is to inspect and replace all worn component.
XJWJZX3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2013, 11:25 PM   #38
snakeroo
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Okay, after reading thru quite a few threads, I am coming back to this one, as it is most similar to my problem. About 5 days ago, this started. I didn't do any brake work. Last work was entirely new front end(lines, calipers, pads) 3 years ago. When I release the pedal, I think I hear a minor clunking noise from the rear. So far I see no leaks, but maybe it's a bad drum cylinder? If it is bad, will it be obvious when I pull the drum cover off? (visible leakage?). Thanks!
Unread 01-25-2013, 08:07 AM   #39
AVR2
Web Wheeler
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeroo View Post
maybe it's a bad drum cylinder? If it is bad, will it be obvious when I pull the drum cover off? (visible leakage?)
Depends how bad it is. I just changed my rear wheel cylinders, and although they were covered in surface rust, there was no obvious leakage... until I'd disassembled the drum assembly enough to pull the two pushrods off either side of the cylinder. Then I could see that the ends of the rods that go into the rubber boots on the cylinder were wet with brake fluid.
AVR2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2013, 02:52 PM   #40
shannonandjeeps

My 98 jeep cherokee has abs breaks its all new partseven lines but ive bleed 1 gallon of fluid I still spongse foot
shannonandjeeps is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.