need a new muffler - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > need a new muffler

BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!XJ Rail Sale!

Unread 06-10-2012, 07:01 PM   #1
jrayburn
1997 ZJ 

need a new muffler

So my jeep sounds like a bumble bee buzzing. I finally got off my lazy rear to check it out. Muffler rusted in half. I've found several mufflers for a good prices. My question is since its so close to the cat if I cut the cat and muffler apart where do I get a coupler to hook the new muffler back up?

jrayburn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-10-2012, 07:31 PM   #2
Snap-on
1998 ZJ 

i thought you just weld them
Snap-on is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-10-2012, 07:48 PM   #3
JasonStebbins
1997 ZJ 

You can get an adapter at any parts store. Then clamp both sides of it. I would recommend a band clamp though. The U-shaped ones at the parts store just oval out the pipe and cause it to leak.

Or get it welded.
JasonStebbins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-10-2012, 10:15 PM   #4
spidermonkey
1998 ZJ 

Welding is best. U can calmp temporariliy, but it needs to be welded if you wheel it you will rip it off. I clamped my new glasspack on at home then had it welded and a tailpipe bent later at a shop for only $60. A buddy of mine tore his clamped one off three times in just over a year. He had one trip of 80 miles home running nothing but tha cat. Rather unpleasant.

Also if you wheel it, use that as an oportunity to move any piping out of harms way if you can. I ran my tailpipe straight along side the tank skid adn ended it before the back of the tank so hopefully it can't get smashed or hung up on a rock.

My driveway build here: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/spidermonkeys-98-zj-build-716209/
speedo reading x spd gear tooth count/gps speed = new spd gear for dead on accuracy
North Shore Wheelers www.nsw4x4.com
spidermonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2012, 03:57 AM   #5
jrayburn
1997 ZJ 

don't do any wheeling. Its the wifes ride. In PA exhaust cannot be welded unless you replace the entire system. How stupid is that. Do I get the clamp bigger than the 2.25 inlet/outlet size? or is that the outside diamater?
Unread 06-11-2012, 08:39 AM   #6
gearheadnick
1997 ZJ 

Where did you hear that rule? I think someone's been telling you bs. Last time I took my jeep to Kost for an inspection, they wanted me to remove the clamps (I did a quick patch job) and weld it up. After I welded it, they passed it no problem.
Unread 06-11-2012, 03:13 PM   #7
jrayburn
1997 ZJ 

Thats what they are teaching in their inspection classes. I personally don't know anyone that would fail because exhaust is welded instead of clamped. I must admit its the stupidest thing i've ever heard.
Unread 06-11-2012, 03:21 PM   #8
hdrocknroll
1995 ZJ 

Cannot be welded unless you replace the entire system !!!!
Now, you know, that's just not true.

Watch Out For The Air Hose Gone Wild!! Or Wear A Cup,: True Story

[QUOTE=rooster51;13297693] Whats the worse that can happen? Your jeeps already broke.

[/QUOTE]
hdrocknroll is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2012, 08:28 PM   #9
jrayburn
1997 ZJ 

lol got the new muffler on I welded it and it looks pretty sexy. gotta get the tailpipe on. on the back side of the muffler i have a pipe that will slide in but the tail pipe is too small for the adapter. I had to cut part of the tail pipe out because it was rotted out. I welded the adapter to the tailpipe now its too long. Will work on cutting it down tomorrow. Anybody got a pic of stock tailpipe routing for a 4.0?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.