In need of new bushings.. where to look? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > In need of new bushings.. where to look?

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 08-16-2009, 03:44 PM   #1
MoonyJohn
Mountain Climber

2004 WJ 

In need of new bushings.. where to look?

Ok so I have a major DW problem on my jeep and I am almost 100% positive that it is my lower control arm bushings on the axle. They look like they got blown up by a grenade or something, so that brings me to getting new bushings. I have looked at energy suspension bushings, and thats pretty much it. What else is out there that are pretty good. Keep in mind I only need the control arm bushings and I have thought about going to a JY and getting old control arms with good bushings in them already but I figure I might as well do it right the first time and get new bushings.

Links would be nice.

EDIT: I dont know if this matters or not, but on energy suspensions website, it shows a chart for 4.0 and 5.2 engines. The axles I got were from a 5.2, so should I get 5.2 bushings or 4.0 / does it matter?

Unread 08-16-2009, 04:12 PM   #2
MoonyJohn
Mountain Climber

2004 WJ 

Here are the bushings

Passenger:

Driver:
Unread 08-16-2009, 04:44 PM   #3
MarkoPo
2005 WK 

I would check the prices for a stealership, or an auto parts store. I don't think aftermarket bushing would last much longer than stock.
Hemi Club member #2
Bonafide Gun Guru
MarkoPo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2009, 04:51 PM   #4
tommylee84
1994 ZJ 

I would also check you pass CA looks like the loop is bent to hell and back. I would be super careful cause once metal starts to fail/bend it just keeps wanting to fail/bend, a new CA might be in your near future.

1994 ZJ 5.2,46RH,242
tommylee84 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2009, 05:07 PM   #5
MoonyJohn
Mountain Climber

2004 WJ 

Yeah I was looking at the CA's just now and thought to myself, maybe getting JY CA's and swapping those in. How long do stock bushings last on average?
Unread 08-16-2009, 05:22 PM   #6
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

Good clevite bushing can be had through Kolak at probably the best price around .

I have a set of frt lwrs , brand new from RRO that came with my jeep 2 yrs ago . They are quite beefy , non-adjustables . Slightly longer than stock IIRC (16" maybe 16.5"). $50 shipped and they are in the mail to you . They have poly bushings already . If you want express mail , that's extra .

The CA's don't look bad to me , nothing a few taps with the hammer can't cure . Look at it like this , new bushing will be easy to install with the original seal broke .
rro-control-arms-001.jpg  
newfieZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2009, 05:26 PM   #7
MoonyJohn
Mountain Climber

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfieZJ View Post
The CA's don't look bad to me , nothing a few taps with the hammer can't cure . Look at it like this , new bushing will be easy to install with the original seal broke .
So is there anything wrong with them? I might take you up on this offer..
Unread 08-16-2009, 05:38 PM   #8
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

Absolutely nothing wrong John , I bought fixed RE lowers because I forgot I had them . Never installed . The welding is really good on them too .

I never had them up for sale , just hanging on to them . I got an even better deal , toss in $20 more to cover the weight and I have a set of RE adjustable uppers from a long arm kit that are drilled to make work with short arms , those I did use and may need new bushings , they work fine and you'll be able to tweek your pinion also .

Take your time , no hurry , but to anyone else , they aren't for sale publicly , John just happens to need a fix and has had DW since installing the lift .
Unread 08-16-2009, 05:49 PM   #9
MoonyJohn
Mountain Climber

2004 WJ 

Its a grief to have you be doing this, too kind of you. Do you have any pictures of those RE arms? Ill probably get those too..
Unread 08-16-2009, 05:59 PM   #10
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

here's the uppers , they were bought off a Mod on here
ca-s-008.jpg   ca-s-010.jpg  
Unread 08-16-2009, 06:02 PM   #11
MoonyJohn
Mountain Climber

2004 WJ 

So do you have a bushing for that one CA?
Unread 08-16-2009, 06:07 PM   #12
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

pretty sure , I'll have to look , eating and typing right now . MMMMMM chicken , lol . 10 mins I'll shoot a PM
Unread 08-16-2009, 06:17 PM   #13
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

Got 2 spare kickin in the garage , I'll pop them in for you . The one in there is worn , so your getting my good spares . My hotmail is onegoodmason . Let me know through there in case I'm not on the forum

BTW , Merry Xmas

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.