Need more help please - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Need more help please

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 11-24-2012, 07:44 PM   #16
Grenjeepgreen
1995 ZJ 

Not sure about the alarm but I just went and got a new battery and they tested the old one and said it was dead but he said to check my alternator. I don't have tags or insurance on the jeep yet so can I check it my self with a voltmeter ?

Grenjeepgreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-29-2012, 11:19 PM   #17
WesleySands
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Sorry for the late response, its been hectic the past few days. With your engine off you should have a battery voltage of around 12.4 to 12.6 (this is according to Haynes) when the engine is running, the voltage should be greater, but not more than 15 volts. (again so says Haynes)

I would check all of the alternator wiring, making sure its in good condition, also in what condition are the belts that attach to the alternator? I hope this helps.

-Han Solo to Luke Skywalker
WesleySands is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2013, 01:40 PM   #18
Grenjeepgreen
1995 ZJ 

Ok I'm sorry also for the late response I been trying to get all the parts I need and a new multimeter. I hooked it up and with engine off it says 12.66 12.67. Started the engine and it stayed at 14.66 14.67. Is the alternator good or bad any input appreshiated.
Also wiring looked good cant visually see anything wrong and the belt looks good.
Unread 01-22-2013, 02:17 PM   #19
txbass06
1998 ZJ 

If the alternator is charging at 14.6 then you're good on that part
txbass06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2013, 02:26 PM   #20
Grenjeepgreen
1995 ZJ 

Thank you very much I also just need to know if I have another problem. I think it's just the ecu re learning everything from the battery being disconnected for over a week but when I start the jeep it idles at 2000 maybe a little less or over is that bad or is it just what I said ?
Unread 01-22-2013, 02:33 PM   #21
txbass06
1998 ZJ 

Not sure on that one but I had a '97 ram that would lose its idle if I disconnected the battery. Took it a day or so of normal driving to relearn
txbass06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2013, 11:04 PM   #22
Grenjeepgreen
1995 ZJ 

Thanks to everyone who helped I finally got my jeep running and everything is good except code 21 o2 sensor. So I looked high and low on the forum for how to replace it and I just can't get to the connection above the transmission. Also since its a 95 5.2L v8 it should only have 1 right? But I took it to a shop and they are trying to tell me it has 4 to 6 o2 sensors. That can't be right right? If someone could let me know and also could I just cut the wires and splice the new sensor wires to the old wires from the connector? If that makes sense.
Unread 06-18-2013, 11:21 PM   #23
jm8881
1996 ZJ 

You don't want to cut and splice o2 wires. The change in resistance from splicing them will effect things negatively. Also being a 95 I'm almost positive it only has 1 o2 sensor before the catalytic converter.
jm8881 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2013, 12:33 PM   #24
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grenjeepgreen View Post
Thanks to everyone who helped I finally got my jeep running and everything is good except code 21 o2 sensor. So I looked high and low on the forum for how to replace it and I just can't get to the connection above the transmission. Also since its a 95 5.2L v8 it should only have 1 right? But I took it to a shop and they are trying to tell me it has 4 to 6 o2 sensors. That can't be right right? If someone could let me know and also could I just cut the wires and splice the new sensor wires to the old wires from the connector? If that makes sense.
You have one O2 sensor in the pipe. Do not return to that shop.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2013, 12:56 PM   #25
dellis
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm8881 View Post
You don't want to cut and splice o2 wires. The change in resistance from splicing them will effect things negatively.
Cutting and splicing an O2 wire will not create any significant resistance change. It would be a hassle to do it in such a way so as not to create problems in the future (corrosion, disconnects, etc), but resistance is not a concern.
dellis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.