Ok so thank you to everyone who helped earlier. Now I need some more info. I'll start with this. I have a 95 grand cherokee Laredo 5.2L v8. It threw codes 12,14,21,51. I just replaced the map sensor and took it for a drive. Seemed fixed until I was almost home and it started hesitating and backfiring. Then the check engine light came on which came on for the first time. So now I'm stuck again any help would be greatly appreshiated.
You will get a lot more help if you'll stop making separate posts. You've already been advised to keep it in one post, what's so hard about that? Not many people will chase your problems all over the forum to help you.
Try unplugging o2 sensors temporarily to see if it runs better. Disregard codes while they are unplugged. If it does run better, change the sensors.
Sorry about that the Internet wasn't showings posts but when I got the app it fixed it. Ok so I did the key trick and it threw only 12 and 55. So I did a tune up. Cap rotor plugs and wires but when I tried to start the jeep it's dead. It's not getting any power nothing works. And I put a battery charger on and it says its full. Is it the charger or something electrical on the jeep? Any help?
what about fuses or something in the ignition system, starter switch perhaps? Also, I apologise if I sound like an arse, check the terminals on the battery and the clamps for the terminals, if there is carbon build up, anywhere, you might not be getting a strong enough contact. Also is there any remnants of a security system? If the car is thinking its being stolen, nothing will work, just had to do a roadside modification 'Han solo' style to the ignition system in my current car. Just a thought, hope it helps.
Last edited by WesleySands; 11-18-2012 at 02:00 PM..
It has to be something with the battery connection. I just replaced the terminals about 2 weeks ago and now today It was tight so I loosened it and wiggled it. One spot it connected and everything works. Then I came back after a break and same thing nothing works. It's the negative side. But when I take the terminals off they are all grey on the inside and the battery post is caked with carbon to. Should I clean it or would I be better getting new battery and terminals. Battery won't stay charged I think also. Alternator?
LATE EDIT: o and I couldn't find a mopar map sensor anywhere for my jeep. Part stores and online. Went with bwd it had a lifetime warranty.
Get yourself a can of coca-cola, and a soft wire brush, pour the coke directly on the battery posts, and scrub away, do the same thing with the terminals, the reason you're not getting any power is because your terminals are caked with carbon, and you can't get a constant connection. Once everything is spotless and carbon free, put everything back together and try it.
Thanks for all the info. I cleaned everything and its spotless. I put it all back together and everything works. The battery level said it was at 12 I guess. it was 2 lines before 14. So I tried to crank it and it made the same metal clicking sound. I guess it does that when there is no battery juice.Now no power again. Battery charger must be a pos because it says the battery is fully charged. Also I don't have a voltmeter thing so I can't test anything. Is it the battery or alternator or starter? That's all I can think of.
Battery terminal cleaners?! That takes all the fun out of it
If its a metallic staccato clicking it might be your starter solenoid going...but, have your battery tested at any friendly auto store, they'll tell you if its dead or not. Most likely its a low battery.
make sure the wires and stuff are connected securely to new post connectors. i'd bet that they are loose again since you replaced them. NOT physcially bolting the terminal to the battery; but the wires attached to the connector (that make sense?)
i've had this issue before on multiple jeeps. specially after replacing the terminal connectors.
O. That volt meter only jumped to 14 when I put that battery charger on it. Then everything works but it still won't even try to turn over. Take the charger off and meter goes to 0. I think if I try the new battery and that strap hopefully it works again. Any other helpful info I'm open to suggestions.
Late edit : that volt meter has never been at 14 before it was a little below it I guess 12 or 13? But everyday of working on it and disconnecting the neg terminal has made it weaker .that's my guess.