Need more help please - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Need more help please

Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREEANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete Gear Installs at CCOR Special

Unread 10-14-2012, 05:50 PM   #1
Grenjeepgreen
1995 ZJ 

Need more help please

Ok so thank you to everyone who helped earlier. Now I need some more info. I'll start with this. I have a 95 grand cherokee Laredo 5.2L v8. It threw codes 12,14,21,51. I just replaced the map sensor and took it for a drive. Seemed fixed until I was almost home and it started hesitating and backfiring. Then the check engine light came on which came on for the first time. So now I'm stuck again any help would be greatly appreshiated.

Grenjeepgreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-14-2012, 08:34 PM   #2
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

You will get a lot more help if you'll stop making separate posts. You've already been advised to keep it in one post, what's so hard about that? Not many people will chase your problems all over the forum to help you.

Try unplugging o2 sensors temporarily to see if it runs better. Disregard codes while they are unplugged. If it does run better, change the sensors.
ZeeJay1997 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-17-2012, 10:55 AM   #3
Grenjeepgreen
1995 ZJ 

Sorry about that the Internet wasn't showings posts but when I got the app it fixed it. Ok so I did the key trick and it threw only 12 and 55. So I did a tune up. Cap rotor plugs and wires but when I tried to start the jeep it's dead. It's not getting any power nothing works. And I put a battery charger on and it says its full. Is it the charger or something electrical on the jeep? Any help?
Unread 11-18-2012, 12:48 PM   #4
WesleySands
1996 XJ Cherokee 

what about fuses or something in the ignition system, starter switch perhaps? Also, I apologise if I sound like an arse, check the terminals on the battery and the clamps for the terminals, if there is carbon build up, anywhere, you might not be getting a strong enough contact. Also is there any remnants of a security system? If the car is thinking its being stolen, nothing will work, just had to do a roadside modification 'Han solo' style to the ignition system in my current car. Just a thought, hope it helps.

Last edited by WesleySands; 11-18-2012 at 01:00 PM..
WesleySands is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-18-2012, 05:46 PM   #5
Rich93ZJ
1993 ZJ 

Was it a Mopar Map Sensor? If not, return it and get the real deal...
Rich93ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-18-2012, 06:04 PM   #6
Grenjeepgreen
1995 ZJ 

It has to be something with the battery connection. I just replaced the terminals about 2 weeks ago and now today It was tight so I loosened it and wiggled it. One spot it connected and everything works. Then I came back after a break and same thing nothing works. It's the negative side. But when I take the terminals off they are all grey on the inside and the battery post is caked with carbon to. Should I clean it or would I be better getting new battery and terminals. Battery won't stay charged I think also. Alternator?
LATE EDIT: o and I couldn't find a mopar map sensor anywhere for my jeep. Part stores and online. Went with bwd it had a lifetime warranty.
Unread 11-19-2012, 12:02 PM   #7
WesleySands
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Get yourself a can of coca-cola, and a soft wire brush, pour the coke directly on the battery posts, and scrub away, do the same thing with the terminals, the reason you're not getting any power is because your terminals are caked with carbon, and you can't get a constant connection. Once everything is spotless and carbon free, put everything back together and try it.
Unread 11-19-2012, 01:28 PM   #8
KoreaZJ
1994 ZJ 

Battery Terminal Cleaner

KoreaZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-19-2012, 01:52 PM   #9
Grenjeepgreen
1995 ZJ 

Thanks for all the info. I cleaned everything and its spotless. I put it all back together and everything works. The battery level said it was at 12 I guess. it was 2 lines before 14. So I tried to crank it and it made the same metal clicking sound. I guess it does that when there is no battery juice.Now no power again. Battery charger must be a pos because it says the battery is fully charged. Also I don't have a voltmeter thing so I can't test anything. Is it the battery or alternator or starter? That's all I can think of.
Unread 11-20-2012, 10:00 PM   #10
WesleySands
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Battery terminal cleaners?! That takes all the fun out of it
If its a metallic staccato clicking it might be your starter solenoid going...but, have your battery tested at any friendly auto store, they'll tell you if its dead or not. Most likely its a low battery.
Unread 11-20-2012, 11:06 PM   #11
JohnnyZJ
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

battery terminals.

make sure the wires and stuff are connected securely to new post connectors. i'd bet that they are loose again since you replaced them. NOT physcially bolting the terminal to the battery; but the wires attached to the connector (that make sense?)

i've had this issue before on multiple jeeps. specially after replacing the terminal connectors.
13' GMC Sierra ~ 2.5" lift 33" MTs.
RIP 95 ZJ ~ 33s built/longarmed/locked/awesome Feb 2014 ZJOTM winner
JohnnyZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2012, 11:13 PM   #12
Grenjeepgreen
1995 ZJ 

If I need a new battery what kind would be best? Just want to know I'm going to have it tested tomorrow.
Unread 11-21-2012, 01:04 PM   #13
Grenjeepgreen
1995 ZJ 

Is that a shop issue or could I do it myself? Is there any way I can check if that is the problem?
Unread 11-21-2012, 03:03 PM   #14
Grenjeepgreen
1995 ZJ 

I don't have a volt meter but it sounds like they come in handy so ill have to go pick one up then I can test it
Unread 11-22-2012, 10:12 AM   #15
Grenjeepgreen
1995 ZJ 

O. That volt meter only jumped to 14 when I put that battery charger on it. Then everything works but it still won't even try to turn over. Take the charger off and meter goes to 0. I think if I try the new battery and that strap hopefully it works again. Any other helpful info I'm open to suggestions.
Late edit : that volt meter has never been at 14 before it was a little below it I guess 12 or 13? But everyday of working on it and disconnecting the neg terminal has made it weaker .that's my guess.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.