Need link to fix the bug that keeps readjusting my mirrors and seat. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Need link to fix the bug that keeps readjusting my mirrors and seat.

JKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, SkidsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 04-02-2013, 12:33 PM   #1
Nick_S
1996 ZJ 

Need link to fix the bug that keeps readjusting my mirrors and seat.

I have a 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited.

I had seen a couple of threads here awhile back about how to stop your side mirrors and seat from constantly readjusting on their own. Yet I cant find the fix threads. Can someone please post it. Thank you.

Yet Im also think, that maybe if I just start opening my Jeep (manually) with the key, instead of the remote/key fob, that would also stop the mirrors and or seat from readjusting.

Nick

Nick_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2013, 01:00 PM   #2
zachjf
1998 ZJ 

remove DS door panel, unhook memory switch connector, voila! no more jacked up seats and mirrors
Unread 04-02-2013, 02:29 PM   #3
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

1. verify you're using the remote numbered for the settings you're trying to maintain.
2. clean the sensors on the mirror for position.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2013, 05:21 PM   #4
Nick_S
1996 ZJ 

Zachjf, this sounds like a great idea, however I’m not very good at auto repairs, thus is why I was hoping to find that thread that talks about how to fix this problem. That way nobody will have to re-post or give instructions on how to fix this problem (all over again), since the fix information is already out there somewhere.

In my case, I have no idea how to remove the DS door panel and locate all that I need to unhook the memory switch.

Ratmonkey, I am the sole drive of my Jeep and I only use the same remote, yet I don’t know how to clean the sensors on the mirror.

Alas, if I could find that link to that thread talks about hot to fix this problem, I would spare all of you kind people from providing me help that is already out there . . . somewhere.

Thank you both very much Zachif and Ratmonkey.

Nick
Unread 04-03-2013, 05:50 PM   #5
EBrunson
1996 ZJ 

Try this. Occassionally, take your hand and physically rotate the mirror through all angles. Do both driver side and passenger side mirrors. That's seems to work for me.
EBrunson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2013, 10:16 PM   #6
billyblooshoes
1998 ZJ 

im looking for info to fix this also. my new 5.9 is doing this. i have heard of cleaning some contacts inside the mirror...?
billyblooshoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2013, 10:35 PM   #7
kachink
1998 ZJ 

I've never seen a writeup with pics, but the instructions in this thread keep getting posted and reposted.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/lazy-mirror-421186/
If your seats are giving you a problem too, then this isn't your issue though.
kachink is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2013, 10:38 PM   #8
MTBlue
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kachink View Post
I've never seen a writeup with pics, but the instructions in this thread keep getting posted and reposted.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/lazy-mirror-421186/
If your seats are giving you a problem too, then this isn't your issue though.
Ya beat me to it!
Unread 04-03-2013, 10:46 PM   #9
billyblooshoes
1998 ZJ 

my seats and mirrors are resetting themselves. i just read about removing drivers door panel, and disconnecting the memory setting button panel. hope that works.
billyblooshoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2013, 10:54 PM   #10
MTBlue
1998 ZJ 

Like Zach said, just unplug the memory connector. That's what I ended up doing on mine in the end.
Unread 04-03-2013, 11:21 PM   #11
Nick_S
1996 ZJ 

Thank you, Ebrunson. I’ll give this a try. Thanks Kachink! I knew that there was a thread out there for a fix, because I did not want to waste anyone’s time, by having them to re-write the fix on this. Now I hope I can do this fix, but I’ll at least give it a try.

Yes, for the past 2 months, my driver’s seat keeps randomly reclining all the way back, till it hits the back seat (for some odd reason). Since it has started doing this, I guess it has done it about 10 times in the past 2 months.

On a side note, I bought my Jeep brand new, with about 10 miles on it, back in 1996. I started having sporadic troubles with both mirrors readjusting themselves after owning my Jeep for a year. The mirrors would readjust themselves about twice a month, for about the next three years, then it stopped doing that for several years all together. Back in 1997, I tried to get it fixed under the warranty, and the Jeep dealer gave me grief over the mirrors and kept saying that maybe someone else drove my Jeep and was readjusting my mirrors or that someone was coming into my locked garage readjusting my mirrors (just for fun) . . . I had to say “Dude, I’m the only one with a key to my Jeep and I’m the only one who drives it. It sits in a locked garage every night and there is no way nobody is driving my Jeep or bothering the mirrors”. I had this same ongoing fight with the dealer for about 3 years and I finally gave up. Every time I took it to the dealer and told him the problem, he would look at me like I came from Mars and that I was the only person on the planet that had this problem . . . and I just know that there is no way in the world that I was the “only” person having a problem with the readjusting mirrors. Yet even when I left my Jeep overnight at the dealer (several times in that 3 year period), I would ALWAYS get it back with a note from the mechanic written on the paperwork saying “Unable to duplicate problem”.

I can see what a nice feature having the power memory mirrors and seats (for when you have more than one driver), yet I HATE this feature, since I’m the only one that drives my Jeep. Once you adjust your seat and mirrors, as far as I am concerned, there is never a need to readjust them again, so I wish that they had an off/lock button that totally cuts off all electricity to the mirrors and seats until you wish to readjust them again . . . however nobody from Chrysler called me to ask me my input, when they decided to put this feature on their vehicles. LOL!!!

Yet I wish the “fix” to this problem was as easy as taking out a couple of fuses, because once I get my mirrors and seat in the desired position, I do not want to change them . . . not even on long trips.

Thank you Billyblooshoes, and MTBlue.

If anyone knows how to remove the DS door panel and disconnect the memory connector, please let me know. Since I'm not good at stuff like this, I do not want to blindly try to do this, without more written instructions and "maybe" looking at a diagram or two.

Nick
Unread 04-04-2013, 02:30 AM   #12
coralman
green backs to no backs

1998 ZJ 

Here is a link on how to do it on a wj. I have heard it is similar.
http://www.wjjeeps.com/mirrors2.htm

Links to axle rebuilds, mount replace,a/c box rebuild,ect in history section of my profile page
coralman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2013, 03:03 PM   #13
Nick_S
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by coralman View Post
Here is a link on how to do it on a wj. I have heard it is similar.
http://www.wjjeeps.com/mirrors2.htm
Thank you, Coralman! I appreciate your help and the link.

Nick
Unread 04-04-2013, 05:01 PM   #14
MTBlue
1998 ZJ 

That's another good article.

To remove panel you need a screw driver. There are 5 (?) screws holding the panel on, with some retaining pins. I'll try to get you a write up with pics to walk you through. I've got it down to about 5 minutes for all 4 panels. When I get home I'll snap some pics and walk you through it.

-Evan
Unread 04-04-2013, 08:40 PM   #15
MTBlue
1998 ZJ 

To remove the door panel:

Supplies needed:

Screw driver, needle nose pliers (not pictured) and a knife (personal preference, as I always have one on/around)

Now, remove the 4 screws holding the door panel on. Almost all will have a small circular cover on them; remove them by prying them off with your knife or a flathead screw driver.

Top, near mirror

Directly below that, near the bottom of the panel

Next to the courtesy light

And right next to/behind the door handle; there is a plate on there that will need to be pried off. Use the knife/flathead screw driver to pry off

Now, the door panel will be looser, depending on how many plastic retainers remain intact. In order to take the door panel off, gently but firmly take a corner of the panel and pull directly outwards, moving along the perimeter from retainer to retainer, gently pulling each one off by hand or with the pliers. This is what the retainers look like:

I've seen white and yellow. Just depends on your rig I guess.

Now once you've gotten all the retainers out of their holes, the door panel will still be hanging on. These are the connectors that you need to remove in order to take the panel completely off:

The courtesy light connector

The mirror controls and everything else:

The top connector (black, plugs into where the mirror controls are) is the one you will want to disconnect. Just unplug it by lifting the retaining tab and pulling outwards.

Putting the door panel back on is the reverse of taking it off. Plug in all the connectors again (except the mirror controls ) and then line up the plastic connectors to their respective holes. With one smooth, forceful motion, use the heel of your hand to whack the connectors back into place. Once you can't see any, just whack the panel every foot and a half or so to re-seat the Christmas trees all around the perimeter of the panel. After that, put the screws back into their holes and then snap the screw covers back in over the holes.

Now you're done! Any questions or comments, let me know. Myself and others will do our best to walk you through the process. Not too tough.

Hope that helped!
-Evan

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.