need immediate help on trans question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > need immediate help on trans question

Savvy FREE SHIPPING!Artec Holiday Sale!Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-Gear

Unread 06-12-2013, 11:48 PM   #1
Enzokilla1

need immediate help on trans question

This is gonna sound pretty stupid dont bash me for it its late and im desperate I have a 90 xj it took a **** I have thw chance to buy a 97 grand cherokee but its got a bad trans I do t know exactly which trans it has its the 4.0 l6 4x4 model could I take my 90 aw14 trans and slap it in there? That model grand cherokee did come with an aw14 but idk if thats the one on it if its not what would I have to change to fit it and is it expensive I absolutely need to do this soon so the quicker thr responses the better

Enzokilla1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2013, 01:34 AM   #2
4x4andmetal
1995 ZJ 

the zjs had an aw4 for part of the 93 model year. I searched for info about an aw14 because I had never heard of it and didn't find anything about it.
Unread 06-13-2013, 08:25 AM   #3
Enzokilla1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4andmetal View Post
the zjs had an aw4 for part of the 93 model year. I searched for info about an aw14 because I had never heard of it and didn't find anything about it.
The aw 14 is the stock trans from the 90 xj cherokee laredo and at least on wikipedia it says the 93 to 98 zj had it along with a few others dont know what models were what but shouldnt a inline 6 jeep motor trans fit onto another there both practacly the same engine minus some electronics right? Im not that mechanicslly inclined lol but if it came within those years it should bolt ob shouldnt it?
Unread 06-13-2013, 08:29 AM   #4
Jeeples
Web Wheeler

2000 WJ 

Yeah, no, you're wrong. The trans designation is the AW4 for the automatic found in the '93 MY ZJ and almost all XJ's, there is no Jeep trans designated the AW14. While your AW4 will bolt right in, the biggest issue you will run into is the OBDII PCM in the ZJ is designed to work with a different transmission.

Hers: '03 WJ 4.7 V8- IRO 3", 245/75/16 Duratracs
Jeeples is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2013, 09:01 AM   #5
Enzokilla1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples View Post
Yeah, no, you're wrong. The trans designation is the AW4 for the automatic found in the '93 MY ZJ and almost all XJ's, there is no Jeep trans designated the AW14. While your AW4 will bolt right in, the biggest issue you will run into is the OBDII PCM in the ZJ is designed to work with a different transmission.
I appologize I may have put 14 when I meant 4.... what can I do about that for the obdii or is there nothing I can do?
Unread 06-13-2013, 09:45 AM   #6
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

nothing you can do AFAIK. you need a 42RE to put in the grand
Unread 06-13-2013, 11:08 AM   #7
Jeeples
Web Wheeler

2000 WJ 

^ x2

Honestly, depending on the price of the ZJ in question, and of course your personal financial situation, a rebuilt or lightly used 42RE is pretty cheap.

Unread 06-13-2013, 12:03 PM   #8
Enzokilla1

Quote:
^ x2

Honestly, depending on the price of the ZJ in question, and of course your personal financial situation, a rebuilt or lightly used 42RE is pretty cheap.
damn this kinda sucks i need a vehicle asap and the zj is only 500 my budget doesnt allow for much more and a trans would run me 300-400 thats why i was asking about slapping this one in since i have the xj and i know some models of zj came with the aw4 i was hoping there was a way to get that done
Unread 06-13-2013, 12:03 PM   #9
Enzokilla1

if anyone can think of something it would be very much appreciated i dont want to stray away from jeep but i dont have a huge budget either
Unread 06-13-2013, 12:06 PM   #10
Jeeples
Web Wheeler

2000 WJ 

Part out the XJ?

If your XJ trans is still good, you can get a few hundred for it pretty easy, maybe find a local trans shop that might exchange your used tranny for a rebuilt 42RE plus a little cash on your side.

Unread 06-13-2013, 12:20 PM   #11
Enzokilla1

Quote:
Part out the XJ?

If your XJ trans is still good, you can get a few hundred for it pretty easy, maybe find a local trans shop that might exchange your used tranny for a rebuilt 42RE plus a little cash on your side.
IM gonna have to check on that trans shop thing that may work but idk whod really be willing to buy any parts from this thing its a beast but it died on me less than 250 to get it up and going and everything i just dont have it it needs a water pump a belt 2 front seats a u joint for front right tire and it needs tires soon there pretty bald its simple i just dont have it

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.