Need Help! Stumped. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Need Help! Stumped.

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHut

Unread 04-11-2011, 04:29 PM   #1
IBIUIRIKIE
1993 ZJ 

Need Help! Stumped.

I have a 93 jeep grand cherokee with the 4.0. The jeep for the most part drives great when it is running. I have noticed it does have a rough idle when stopped and transmission is in drive. If the jeep is put in park or is in motion their seems to be no problem.

But if i leave the jeep parked overnight with out driving it for 5 or more hours it will run very rough, spit sputter, and seems to be a backfire in exhaust if i try to give it gas. I have to wait till the jeep is at operating temp. so it can be drivin. I can then usually drive the jeep all day with no problems. I'm hopeing somone may have had this problem and knows how to fix it.

I HAVE CHANGED the fallowing: Fuel pump, Fuel filter, Idle air control valve, MAP sensor, Air/Temp flow sensor, coolant temp sensor, oxygen sensor, Plugs twice ( they seem to run a little hot), plug wires, cap, rotor, igniton coil. brand new battery. All the vacuum lines look good, canister not cracked.

I thought to change the TPS but i get NO codes at all, and the sensor tests good with the volt meter, with throttle shut and open.

Its not a security issue, the alarm is disarmed. Also the PCM has been changed before i owned the jeep, its not a factory PCM which leads me to think thet the previous owner has changed it.

What would make the jeep spit and and almost die out after sitting overnight? could mostiure be getting somwhere? i have no idea what to check next. it seems to me if it was anything electrical i would be getting a code. And i am not getting any codes what so ever. Please help if any ides.

if it is a fuel presure regulator, wouldnt the jeep run bad the whole time?

IBIUIRIKIE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-11-2011, 04:35 PM   #2
IBIUIRIKIE
1993 ZJ 

Ive also put a crank shaft postion sensor, still no fix. Still runs bad in morn ing until jeep is at operating temp. Then i can dive the jeep all day unless it sits for more than 5 hours then i have to wait till it is operating temp.
Unread 04-11-2011, 06:00 PM   #3
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

Try taking all the relays that are in the PDC that will interchange and swapping them around. Clean the legs.
ZeeJay1997 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-11-2011, 06:09 PM   #4
ZJBEN
1997 ZJ 

Have you tried any injector cleaners? Thats about the only thing not mentioned on your list that I can think of. I would think it would run bad all the time if an injector was clogged. I don't know.
ZJBEN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2011, 02:10 AM   #5
93zjbums
1993 ZJ 

i was looking on another thread on older fuel pumps the check valve starts to wear out and it loses fuel pressure when it sits for too long and takes time to get back to full pressure, maybe check fuel pressure after it sits for a while should be at 35-39psi im told
92 xj stock 358k miles wifes
93zjbums is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2011, 05:03 AM   #6
a70eliminator

Had similar issues with my work van, not a jeep but neverthless, there was an ambient air temp sensor behind the grill somewhere that was reporting -30F engine world run extremely rich and load up at idle. Circuit was not open or shorted so no codes were generated, a mechanic and alot of head scratching but eventually fixed it, -30 outside air! This just happened last week, we've had some wild temp swings here in ohio, 80 one day 35 the next and thats what we think finally did it in.
a70eliminator is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2011, 10:05 AM   #7
IBIUIRIKIE
1993 ZJ 

I have tried seafoam to try to clean injectors, but i believe if i had a leaking injector the problem would clear up in 2 min or so. Im not to sure about the ambient air temp sensor, i will have to look into that. And also i will check the check valve. Thanks guys i will let you know what i find.
Unread 04-12-2011, 10:14 AM   #8
Foundrydude
1995 ZJ 

What's going on with the egr valve? What's intake vacuum reading when running rough?
Foundrydude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2011, 12:29 PM   #9
IBIUIRIKIE
1993 ZJ 

there is no EGR valve, in 93 i guess its all ran with vacum. The jeep has a vent tube that runs from fuel tank, to canister, and vacum off the to manifold and such. All the lines look good, and so does the canister.

Tags
backfire , fuel , rough idle

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.