Need Help with sound system - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Need Help with sound system

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 07-29-2009, 12:31 PM   #1
Coledawg
2003 WJ 

Need Help with sound system

Ive got a 2003 Overland with the infinity sound system I am going to be replacing the head unit with an Eclipse 3200 and using my memphis components for the front speakers and throwing in some Rock ford speakers for the rear. these memphis components ar 6.5" so bass is not so much haha so im thinking about throwing some 6X9s that have decent bass like the stock ones and putting the Rock fords in the rear. If i put speakers in the rear i assume they will use the factory amp whre as the front ones will be running off amp?

Coledawg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2009, 12:40 PM   #2
AEagle326
1995 ZJ 

if you put in a new headunit you wont be able to wire up the amp as far as i'm aware

Quote:
Originally Posted by squashman702 View Post
You can never go wrong with an Orvis.
AEagle326 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2009, 01:19 PM   #3
ABerry
2004 WJ 

true and don't go 6x9 your options will be expensive and limited, go with 6.5" there are adapters, thats what I did for my fronts
Unread 07-29-2009, 02:48 PM   #4
01Limited45324
2001 WJ 

I replaced my headunit and it's wired up to the amp fine. I have Kicker 6x9s in the front doors that kick *** and sound great. Weren't too expensive either.

2001 Grand Cherokee Limited
2002 BMW 530i
01Limited45324 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2009, 03:08 PM   #5
Coledawg
2003 WJ 

So i guess ill just use my 6.5" components in the front and i guess throw some 6.5"s in the back i just gonna have no bass haha until i get money to replace a sub lol o well
Coledawg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2009, 03:34 PM   #6
K10roc

agreed i put in a flip screen and wired up the amp just fine.. granted i then wired in 3 more, and eventually replaced the stock.. but yes it will work jus fine
2000 Jeep grand WJ limited, 245/75/16, Thrust 2 chamber muffler, 2in bb, rough country shocks, slotted and drilled rotors, Torqflo trans cooler, powder coated calipers, custom made CAI, K&N cone filter, ported and polished throttle body, Chip, Torqflo trans cooler, 6000k HID, PIAA fog, lots of powder coating and blacked out parts
K10roc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2009, 04:27 PM   #7
ABerry
2004 WJ 

I don't really see why you would want to use your stock 180w amp, but I guess if you have to save money then by all means.. also 01limited45324 is right, I guess they aren't too expensive, but your options are definitely limited, and mounting depts for aftermarket 6x9 are extremely close if not deeper than possible in our WJ's

I have a pioneer premier P600UB deck, 2 infinity kappa 6.5 components in the front, 2 6.5 infinity kappas in the rear powered with a alpine pdx 4.100, and a JL W7 with JL 1000/1 amp for the bass.. nice is an understatement
Unread 07-29-2009, 05:21 PM   #8
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

if you purchase good 6.5's they'll have excellent bass response. mine are pretty decent.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2009, 05:32 PM   #9
01Limited45324
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coledawg View Post
So i guess ill just use my 6.5" components in the front and i guess throw some 6.5"s in the back i just gonna have no bass haha until i get money to replace a sub lol o well
My Kickers have plenty of bass and fit into the housing just fine. Both speakers cost, I think, $80. It's worth it.

FYI, if you replace your head unit your steering wheel controls won't work with the radio unless you buy an adapter. I wish someone had told me that before I bought mine... :

2002 BMW 530i
Unread 07-29-2009, 05:54 PM   #10
ABerry
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Limited45324 View Post
My Kickers have plenty of bass and fit into the housing just fine. Both speakers cost, I think, $80. It's worth it.

FYI, if you replace your head unit your steering wheel controls won't work with the radio unless you buy an adapter. I wish someone had told me that before I bought mine... :
I have the adapter to retain steering wheel controls
Unread 07-29-2009, 09:28 PM   #11
01Limited45324
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABerry View Post
I have the adapter to retain steering wheel controls
I need to buy one, but I need a job first... Where did you get yours from? Most the ones I've seen are between $50-$75. Did you install it yourself?

2002 BMW 530i
Unread 07-30-2009, 06:34 PM   #12
ABerry
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Limited45324 View Post
I need to buy one, but I need a job first... Where did you get yours from? Most the ones I've seen are between $50-$75. Did you install it yourself?
I got it from a local shop here for a very overpriced amount, I think it was like $100 but they installed it free. I looked at the thing and I immediately knew I was not going to be doing it myself, works pretty well about 90% of the time but 10% it messes up thinking i press a different button than I did, I dont know how the system works, I think it is some sort of remote, because for example pressing the center button on the left sets my deck to ATTN mode (75% less volume) and pressing the right center button changes the source, then left rocker is for track selection and right rocker is for volume but sometimes when I press any button, the ATTN or volume it will do another random operation (I press ATTN and it changes the source) but only 10% of the time... it does it enough to where I still use the deck for control most of the time, the ATTN is extremely nice though since I'm always listening to music loud and it is an instant mute sort of

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.