Need help removing sway bar link - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Need help removing sway bar link

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueThanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutfBlack Friday Sale!!

Unread 04-27-2012, 05:46 PM   #1
jwildman16
1998 WJ 

Need help removing sway bar link

I have a '98 GC. The front left sway bar link broke. The ball joint comes out of the socket. I got most of it off, but the ball and the threaded bolt connected to it are stuck in the end of the sway bar. Any suggestions on how to get it out? I got a Pitman arm puller, but it ended up being too big to grab the sway bar, so I can't push the bolt out with that. Any other ideas?

I swear it looks expanded in there. I guess after 15 years of being in there, it's gotten pretty comfortable...

jwildman16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-27-2012, 09:57 PM   #2
jtackerman28
1997 ZJ 

Tie Tod seperator
Unread 04-27-2012, 10:06 PM   #3
booked101
1997 ZJ 

^ or a smaller pitman arm puller.
Unread 04-27-2012, 10:51 PM   #4
Bigdjs123
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtackerman28
Tie Tod seperator
And a big hammer
Bigdjs123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-29-2012, 11:41 PM   #5
big_rudy101
1996 ZJ 

hahaha.
Ahh man, I just had to do this like 2 weeks ago.
Its a son of a gun, I know..

How did I do it?

Torch. Worked liked a charm.
Unread 04-29-2012, 11:42 PM   #6
Freestyle713
1994 ZJ 

Just cut it off. They sell them for $15 at auto zone.
[B]94 Grand Cherokee 5.2[/B] [SIZE="1"]33in. Federal Couragia M/T's on Procomp Steelies, np231 swap, IRO Hack n Tap SYE, Carolina Driveshaft, 4.5 in. lift, RE front upper/rear lower ca's, RC front lowers, Ironman rear uppers, IRO 4.5 coils in rear, 3.5 and 2" bb (no isolators) in front, Bilstein 5100's, Clayton/JKS adj. track bars, KOR rad support and SS, Magnaflow/Flowmaster exhaust, clear corners, custom light bar w/ Hella 500's[/SIZE]

[CENTER][COLOR="Yellow"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/groups/zombie-outbreak-response-vehicles/"][COLOR="Yellow"]Zombie Outbreak Response Team[/COLOR][/URL][/COLOR][/CENTER]
[QUOTE=elcorvino;14544406]Yea... It's kind of like the fat chick who lives around the corner. You aren't trying to get caught with her, but you know she'd be a good time.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ScottD16;14460352]I had a dream my entire family was attacked by a giant polar bear. The crazy part was he attacked us with a giant spoon. Best dream ever.[/QUOTE]
Freestyle713 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2012, 12:20 AM   #7
Mickey_D
1997 ZJ 

What I did was fully removed the sway bar from the vehicle. It's only 6 bolts. Hardest part was getting it over the lower radiator hose.

Once out, set the sway bar on a curb and bash the remainder of the end link out. Works a treat and is SOOOO much easier than any other alternative. Only took two hits with a 16oz sledge to get both of mine out and they were 200,000 mile originals.
[_][][][][][][][][_]

Mickey_D is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2012, 07:21 AM   #8
gearheadnick
1997 ZJ 

Mine did the same thing. I got a "pickle fork" attachment for my air chisel and gave it hell. It popped out reasonably quick.
Unread 04-30-2012, 08:12 AM   #9
jwildman16
1998 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_rudy101
hahaha.
Ahh man, I just had to do this like 2 weeks ago.
Its a son of a gun, I know..

How did I do it?

Torch. Worked liked a charm.
Ah, sweet. What did you do exactly, just heat it up a bit and then you were able to free it?
Unread 04-30-2012, 08:16 AM   #10
jwildman16
1998 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey_D
What I did was fully removed the sway bar from the vehicle. It's only 6 bolts. Hardest part was getting it over the lower radiator hose.

Once out, set the sway bar on a curb and bash the remainder of the end link out. Works a treat and is SOOOO much easier than any other alternative. Only took two hits with a 16oz sledge to get both of mine out and they were 200,000 mile originals.
I was hoping to not have to remove the whole sway bar, but I think you may be right - it might be the easiest way to go. You didn't have much trouble getting the bar out with the end links still attached?
Unread 04-30-2012, 08:44 AM   #11
Mickey_D
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwildman16 View Post
I was hoping to not have to remove the whole sway bar, but I think you may be right - it might be the easiest way to go. You didn't have much trouble getting the bar out with the end links still attached?
Not at all. It took some head scratching to figure out how to get it over the lower rad hose, but it was a LOT easier than trying to get any major tools into the fender well to remove the end link while in place.
[_][][][][][][][][_]

Mickey_D is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2012, 04:42 PM   #12
dusterdude
1996 ZJ 

Its not hard to remove,i did it when i did my links
dusterdude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2012, 04:43 PM   #13
Oldfrog
Web Wheeler
1997 ZJ 

Over the lower hose?

( I cant remember if it's over or under)

Words of wisdom, Posted by Zeejay:
"..it's not air, it is the opposite of air... suckage so to speak."

Stalling? Work through Zeejay's list
Oldfrog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2012, 09:46 PM   #14
big_rudy101
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwildman16 View Post
Ah, sweet. What did you do exactly, just heat it up a bit and then you were able to free it?
I took a large socket and fit it over the ball, then took a big c clamp on put it on the bottom of the socket and on top of the post part. With the threads..

Tighted that down reealllllll nice and tight. Then took a torch to it and stood back. Be careful though. Because when the heat finally makes it give, and that clamp is tightened down, when it finally pops, it POPS!

It scared the hell outta me. But, it worked.

Tags
bolt , stuck , sway , sway bar link

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.