Need help with O2 sensor wiring. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Need help with O2 sensor wiring.

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueThanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutfBlack Friday Sale!!

Unread 07-06-2006, 02:45 PM   #1
Skyline

Need help with O2 sensor wiring.

More trail carnage to fix:

When wheeling this past weekend, I ripped the exhaust apart on my GC. While the pipes went back together fairly easily, all the wires were ripped out of the body side of the O2 sensor plug. It seems like they came out clean with the metal ends intact, so all I have to do is stick the wires back in. But can someone tell me which wire goes where? My Chilton's book does not have the V8 diagram for this sensor (the one on the Cat).

The wire colors I have are:

O2 Sensor (still in the plug)
White
White
Black
Grey

Body Plug (with all the wires pulled out)
Black/Red
Black/Tan
Black/Blue
Green/Red

Unread 07-06-2006, 02:58 PM   #2
zjay

According to the Chrysler wiring diagram, the front has the same colors, so see if they are in real life and you can match them up.

BK/TN goes straight to ground
BK/LB goes to the PCM
BK/PK goes to the PCM
DG/OG goes to the PDC (underhood fuse box) to the asd relay.

Hope it helps, the diagram they give me tshows these wire colors at the sensor, too, but I know that the colors are different there like you say.
zjay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2006, 04:40 PM   #3
Skyline

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjay
According to the Chrysler wiring diagram, the front has the same colors, so see if they are in real life and you can match them up.

BK/TN goes straight to ground
BK/LB goes to the PCM
BK/PK goes to the PCM
DG/OG goes to the PDC (underhood fuse box) to the asd relay.

Hope it helps, the diagram they give me tshows these wire colors at the sensor, too, but I know that the colors are different there like you say.

Does your diagram show which wire goes where in the plug? Maybe I didn't make myself clear. My O2 sensor is now installed in the cat and the 4 wires are connected to its plug. The body side plug is plugged into that, but has no wires coming out. The four wires that are supposed to go there are dangling loose and need to be shoved back into the plug. I just need to know which wire goes in which socket.

Thanks.
Unread 07-06-2006, 07:13 PM   #4
rm2001wj
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

At this URL, http://reviews.ebay.com/UNIVERSAL-OX...:-1:LISTINGS:1, you will find that the two white wires are the heater leads, black is the signal lead and grey is the signal ground.

Referring to zjay's post: the DG/OR wire goes to one of the sensor white wires (it doesn't matter which), the BK/TN wire goes to the other sensor white wire, the BK/LB wire goes to the sensor grey wire, and then the remaining wire goes to the sensor black wire.

What you called Green/Red is very likely the wiring diagram DarkGreen/Orange (DG/OR), and your Black/Red would be the wiring diagram Black/Pink (BK/PK) or in the Haynes Manual it is Orange/Dark Blue (OR/DB). Colors appear different to different people, especially if the light is not the same.

HTH.
Unread 07-06-2006, 07:23 PM   #5
greasefingers
1994 ZJ 

Since the wires are ripped out I think he is asking for the exact physical placement of the 4 wires in the connector?

94 Black Laredo 4-Liter with QuadraTrac (42RE trans & NP249 TC) 200,000 + miles purchased new

88 Cherokee 2-door with 5speed manual 139K miles(deceased) purchased new
greasefingers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2006, 07:44 PM   #6
rm2001wj
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

The connector should have two parts, one part on the harness, which has had the wires ripped out and the other part attached to the O2 sensor pig tail. Since the two parts only go together one way, it should be easy to trace the pig tail wires to the pins on the pig tail connector and then across the connector to the pins on the mating harness connector. That would tell where to attach the harness wires.
rm2001wj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2006, 08:08 PM   #7
greasefingers
1994 ZJ 

That logic would be fine if the wires on each side of the connectors are the same color. My 1994 is not so fortunate. But this may help him if his is exactly like mine?

Orange with black stripe (engine side)..white wire (O2 side)
Black with brown stripe (engine side)..white wire (O2 side)
Black with orange stripe (engine side)..black wire (O2 side)
Black with blue stripe (engine side)..gray wire (O2 side)

94 Black Laredo 4-Liter with QuadraTrac (42RE trans & NP249 TC) 200,000 + miles purchased new

Unread 07-06-2006, 08:24 PM   #8
zjay

I thought I had written this, but I don't see it:

According to the diagram I have, the wiring for the other O2 sensor has the same colors, etc. Possibly you could use it as a guide.

I just looked again, the wires are the same in the upstream connector, the connector even appears the same except for it's grey instead of black. You should be able to use it as an example.

a Pic--
You'll need to compare pic and veh to see which end they are looking at, I think.

DOWNSTREAM HEATED OXYGEN SENSOR CAV CIRCUIT FUNCTION
1 A142 18DG/OR AUTOMATIC SHUTDOWN RELAY OUTPUT
2 Z12 18BK/TN GROUND
3 K4 18BK/LB SENSOR GROUND
4 K141 18BK/PK DOWNSTREAM HEATED OWYGEN SENSOR SIGNAL

zjay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2006, 09:19 PM   #9
rm2001wj
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by greasefingers
That logic would be fine if the wires on each side of the connectors are the same color. ...
I don't see why that logic requires the wires to be the same color on each side. Perhaps you could explain. Seems to me that is basically the same as what you used.
Unread 07-06-2006, 10:13 PM   #10
greasefingers
1994 ZJ 

I have had too many beers to think about this anymore

Unread 07-06-2006, 10:49 PM   #11
rm2001wj
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by greasefingers
I have had too many beers to think about this anymore
Here's a hint: Read my first post and you will see the logic. Next read your first post. Then go to my second post which was my attempt to clear up what appeared to be your misunderstanding of my first. Your comment about same color wires only makes sense if you ignore what I said in my first post and aim your respond at the second. I will admit my mistakes when they are pointed out to me. Just don't point to something and say it is a mistake when it isn't.
Unread 10-24-2014, 03:58 PM   #12
cpranulis
1996 ZJ 

OK, Newbee question here. I have been trying to read about the O2 sensor as the wires that go to the one in my cat converter caught on the drive shaft and ripped out. The connector was still plugged in and the wires were bare and riding on the drive shaft, of course shorting out the 20 amp fuse. Thanks to the internet and the jeep forums, that is the second place that I looked. I disconnected the coupling and removed the bare wires, zip tied the harness up ontop of the transmission and looped and zip tied the black wire coming out of the O2 sensor so that it could not touch anything. My main question is, I have this harness with 4 wires. black which should go to the O2 sensor, then 2 white wires and a grey wire. I can not see where these three wire have been torn loose from. What should I be looking for? Also, it seems to be running fine but of course the check engine light is on. Do I really need to rewire this sensor back up again?

Last edited by cpranulis; 10-24-2014 at 03:59 PM.. Reason: another question
cpranulis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.