Need help How to replace rear control arms - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Need help How to replace rear control arms

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 07-22-2012, 07:38 AM   #1
youlost2melol
1995 ZJ 

Need help How to replace rear control arms

I have a 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited, i had taken it get inspected and it failed for a quite a few reasons. One was the rear control arm bushings. From reading serveral posts on the forums i have found out its easier just to replace the whole control arm.

My problem is how to replace the controls arms. I have read that the lowers can be down without jacking up the Jeep but i havent seen much on how to do the upper control arms. I have seen posts about the front upper control arms but im sure changing the rear are different.

If anybody could just give me a guide to changing the rear upper and lower control arms i would appreicate it.

youlost2melol is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2012, 02:51 PM   #2
youlost2melol
1995 ZJ 

anyone?
Unread 07-22-2012, 03:38 PM   #3
JasonStebbins
1997 ZJ 

Probably the easiest thing to do besides changing brakes and oil. Put a 1/2 ratchet on one side with a 19mm socket and 19mm wrench on the other side. Remove the two bolts then install the new one.

The upper arms may be a Torx bolt rather then a standard Hex head. There are holes in the frame rail for a ratchet and extension.

No jacking required.
JasonStebbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2012, 03:45 PM   #4
youlost2melol
1995 ZJ 

Thanks i thought so just wanted to make sure. Any tips to keep the alignment from getting to far out of wack?
Unread 07-22-2012, 04:10 PM   #5
Virmagicus
Headed Out West

1998 ZJ 

Remove and install one at a time. You may have a hard time getting the holes to line up so you might have to jack up one side a little or even use a ratchet strap to wrap the axle. There is no "aligning" the rear with stock arms.
Virmagicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2012, 04:13 PM   #6
Texas ZJ1
Jeep Jedi Master

1994 ZJ 

Yes, one at a time.

94 5.9 Laredo 6.5 RE lift with 35 Maxxis Bighorns
and 33 Bridgestone Duelers
Detroit and true trac
Red Jeep Club Member
REDNECK JCM
Texas Jeep Owner #6
USN Jeep Club #4
http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/

For your performance needs:

kolak@kolakperformance.com
Texas ZJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.