Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Need Help!!! front wheel bearing hub assembly 97 JGC

4K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  kellen 
#1 ·
Well I followed the short guide on replacing the front axle assembly but I just spent the last 2+ hrs on step 4-5.

It was a real bear getting the three hub to knuckle bolts from the backside of the knuckle but eventually I got all of them out.

Now the hub is supposed to be able to be pulled off so I can replace the axle shaft. The only problem is that I cannot figure out how to get the d@mn thing off!!! :mad: What I thought would be a 2 hr job from the manual has suddenly turned into the jeep on jackstands all night and hopefully some answers from you guys to be able to tackle it when I get home tomorrow.

Has anyone done this replacement before? How did you get things apart? :confused:

It's a 97 grand cherokee limited with the 5.2 V8 and quadratrac. The axle in question is the driver side front.

Thanks in advance!
Joe

#4 ·
chisel in between the hub mount and dust plate..

#5 ·
FieroGT914 said:
Well I followed the short guide on replacing the front axle assembly but I just spent the last 2+ hrs on step 4-5.

It was a real bear getting the three hub to knuckle bolts from the backside of the knuckle but eventually I got all of them out.

Now the hub is supposed to be able to be pulled off so I can replace the axle shaft. The only problem is that I cannot figure out how to get the d@mn thing off!!! :mad: What I thought would be a 2 hr job from the manual has suddenly turned into the jeep on jackstands all night and hopefully some answers from you guys to be able to tackle it when I get home tomorrow.

Has anyone done this replacement before? How did you get things apart? :confused:

It's a 97 grand cherokee limited with the 5.2 V8 and quadratrac. The axle in question is the driver side front.

Thanks in advance!
Joe
Once those three bolts, the caliper and rotor & hub nut are off, the hub should just come straight out. Usually the problem is a buildup of rust between the bearing and steering knuckle. Use a slide hammer (the type that bolts to the wheel studs) if you have one. You may have some luck putting the wheel back on and pounding on the tire. Heat can also be your friend.
Make sure you use some anti-sieze compund on the hub bearing when re-installing.

#7 ·
FieroGT914 said:
I was trying that but it didn't seem to budge... I'll try soaking it in some PB blaster or something overnight. Is there anything else or should that do it? Do it need to hit it in more than one place around the hub?
If you put the wheel back on, it may give you the leverage you need by pulling on one side then the other. PB Blaster is good. Just keep working it.

#9 ·
-Joe- said:
chisel in between the hub mount and dust plate..
x2. if it hasn't been apart before or it's just been a long time it will take some heavy beating to get it to come off.

#10 ·
Ive used the chisel method, worked...took forever. Ive used the BFH method, worked, destroyed the hub and the dust shield. The best way to do it is to put all 3 hub bolts back in, back them all out 1/4", disconnect your tierod from the knuckle so you can swing the knuckle around, pop a socket on one of the bolts, bang the socket with a BFH for a bit, do the same for the other bolts until it breaks loose, then just keep backing out the bolts and bang it off evenly. It slides on there perfectly straight so dont plan on taking it off on a angle. It comes straight off, just make sure you bang it off evenly by the bolts, and make sure your hitting a socket as you will end up destroying the bolt heads if you dont

#11 ·
thanks for all the tips... it's amazing how easy things become when you have the right tools :) A slide hammer that attaches to the wheel studs works wonders and then a sharp chisel and a hammer to separate the dust plate from the back part of the hub assembly at each of the 3 bolt locations got the rest of the assembly out. it was the first time it was apart and there's 135k on the odometer so I guess a little extra work is to be expected.

thanks again! :thumbsup:
Joe

#12 ·
next time try the socket on the bolt method, less tools to put away, and a lot easier.

#13 ·
Sorry to hear yours was such a PITA. Fortunately my driver's front hub came off easily a few weeks ago...it was the axle nut that gave me grief. Nothing a huge pipe slid over the ratchet couldn't solve.

FYI, I remember reading about yet another hub removal technique (search this forum when you have some time. I wish I had bookmarked it.) Something to do with using a 2.5-3" bolt wedged between the knuckle and hub, then turning the steering wheel to force the hub off. Pretty slick idea actually. But I do not know how well it works.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.