JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/)
-   -   Need help electrical (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/need-help-electrical-1534377/)

bigphil76 06-09-2013 06:17 PM

Need help electrical

So I have used the search method for 2 days and still can't find a fix.....1997 jeep ZJ 4.0... Here it goes.. I drove to my moms and blocked my sister in, about 30 min after I got there she wanted to leave so I let her move my jeep. She does, and I go to get in it about a hour later and start it up no problem. But the entire gauge cluster doesn't work, all gauges even mileage act like the jeep is turned off.. No power windows, but the power locks work, the EVIC system on the ceiling works but doesn't register DTE, MPG or outside Temperature. The driver power mirror works but not the passenger.. air/heater works but A/C doesn't engage. Headlights, taillights work but no "high beam indicator". turn signals work and is the only thing that works on the dash cluster. I have pulled and checked every fuse under the glove compartment and under the hood.. all are good.. But I have no idea whats going on.. Please help..

bigphil76 06-09-2013 06:26 PM

Plus my sister said nothing happened or made a sound when she moved it. I asked her if the dash was working and she said she didnt look.. Women!

ZeeJay1997 06-09-2013 06:35 PM

The common denominator is the BCM

bigphil76 06-09-2013 06:46 PM

BCM?.. wow never heard of that.. Owned 4.0s since I was 16

ZeeJay1997 06-09-2013 06:52 PM

Body control module. I've never had a problem with mine so I dont know a lot about it.

It talks to the other modules through the bus....

From FSM:

DESCRIPTION AND OPERATION
INTRODUCTION
The Body Control Module (BCM) used in this vehicle
provides a communication interface with other
controllers and modules. The BCM also controls various
vehicle functions. Circuit operation of specific
systems or components controlled by the BCM are
found in wiring diagram section covering the component
or system.
This section of the wiring diagrams provides an
overview of the functions controlled or supported by
the BCM. The BCM provides or supports the following
features:
A/C Select Switch Status
Ambient Temperature
Automatic Funeral Mode
Automatic Headlamp Control
Chime
Courtesy Lamps with Time Out
Door, Hood or Liftgate Ajar Status
Door Lock Inhibit
Electronic Odometer
Electronic Vehicle Information Center
Fog Lamp Control
Headlamp Delay
High Beam Indicator
Illuminated Entry
Instrument Panel Dimming
Intermittent Wiper Control
Liftgate Courtesy Lamp Disable
Mechanical Instrument Cluster
Rear Window Defogger Control
Remote Radio Control
Seat Belt Reminder
Speed Sensitive Intermittent Wipe Control
Vehicle Theft Security System
The BCM communicates with the following controllers
and modules over the CCD bus:

Automatic Temperature Control (ATC) Module
Compass (Overhead Console)
Driver Door Module (DDM)
Mechanical Instrument Cluster
Memory Seat Module
Passenger Door Module (PDM)
Powertrain Control Module
Vehicle Information Center
Radio

bigphil76 06-09-2013 06:57 PM

Ok, Thanks, I have been researching this BCM and some questions arise... Are they vin locked or plug and play? where is it under the driver dash??

ZeeJay1997 06-09-2013 07:03 PM

The 97 is not vin locked. I've never seen it, but i've read that it is near the sterring column to the left.... way up in there.

bigphil76 06-09-2013 07:10 PM

So, should I find mine and get the part number off, so I buy the right one.. or are they all the same.. as long as it comes from a 1997?

ZeeJay1997 06-09-2013 07:26 PM

i believe it would need to be from the same trim level, otherwise it will need programmed. Maybe someone else can confirm.

ZeeJay1997 06-09-2013 07:35 PM

The electronics on the 97 are notorious for bad solder joint. You may have some luck by taking it apart and reflowing the solder joints

monkeyhouse 06-10-2013 10:52 AM

From the research I have done, everyone seems to be bringing up the right places to check. I had a very similar issue to yours and my issue turned out to be merely a plug that wasn't connected in the overhead console. I have also read that the PCB for the overhead console is a typical point of failure. I saw a thread yesterday by a guy who had gotten three of them from junkyards and they were all bad. He repaired all three and they all work great now. The overhead is probably the least expensive place to start. I would check those connections first. I would also grab one from a junkyard(even though it may be bad too) and plan on doing that and trying to repair it if bad to have as a spare. There is always the soldering on the vic, I am doing that next as my coolant sensor alert is on alot and finally the bcm. Mine is located under the dash on the drivers side, easily visible when I actually got down there and looked. Right where the light switch is

bigphil76 06-16-2013 11:59 AM

So I just bought a BCM off ebay, because I couldn't find one around me that was the exact one and didn't cost a fortune for it.. I will post a update to see if this was my problem. I really hope it is... middle of summer and I have no ac and cant roll the windows down.

dnuccio 06-16-2013 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigphil76 (Post 15568209)
summer and I have no ac and cant roll the windows down.

take the doors off :rofl:

bigphil76 06-20-2013 06:32 PM

So here is a update.. I purchased a BCM and got it today. when I installed it the jeep started and ran like normal but fixed nothing.. So buying the BCM was a waste of 60 bucks... ANYTHING else I should check before I send it to the mechanic and pay out the a$$

Mickey_D 06-20-2013 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigphil76 (Post 15587447)
So here is a update.. I purchased a BCM and got it today. when I installed it the jeep started and ran like normal but fixed nothing.. So buying the BCM was a waste of 60 bucks... ANYTHING else I should check before I send it to the mechanic and pay out the a$$

Quote:

Originally Posted by monkeyhouse (Post 15542528)
From the research I have done, everyone seems to be bringing up the right places to check. I had a very similar issue to yours and my issue turned out to be merely a plug that wasn't connected in the overhead console. I have also read that the PCB for the overhead console is a typical point of failure. I saw a thread yesterday by a guy who had gotten three of them from junkyards and they were all bad. He repaired all three and they all work great now. The overhead is probably the least expensive place to start. I would check those connections first.

I would start with what someone else who had the same problem suggested you do... :shrug:

The time now is 11:39 AM.