Need help deciding bewteen Budget Boost or 3.5" IRO lift. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Need help deciding bewteen Budget Boost or 3.5" IRO lift.

Great prices on seating!--Oconee Off-RoadTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGTJ, YJ & LJ Drop Down Tail Gate Conversion Kit

Unread 02-15-2009, 12:27 PM   #1
Chiefwahoo
1994 ZJ 

Need help deciding bewteen Budget Boost or 3.5" IRO lift.

I've done a lot of searching on this forum for what I want to do to my 1994 4.0 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo. What I want is for my Jeep to basically look a little meaner than the stock set up its on with like 27" tires. I was thinking 30" or 31" BFG A/T tires from treadwright.com to beef it up. So that sets me back around $400.
I'm a senior in highschool with a part time job and a limited budget. I don't want to spend more than $800 total with tires. I've already spent about $600 in repairs for this Jeep I originally bought for $2400.

So I've boiled it down to either purchasing the IRO 3.5" F->R lift or putting some spacers/BB's in there. I live in the San Bernardino Mtns in Cali, I don't do much off-roading, I just hit the dirt and snow trails every once in a while, and I just want my Jeep to look like the champ she is.
Is it possible since it is the I-6, that I could find some new springs and put those in the front, and switch the front springs to the back without replacing shocks and a bunch of other stuff? That would be the cheap way to go at it.

I just want to improve the look of my ride and not dish out too much coin.

Thanks, all replies are appreciated.

Chiefwahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2009, 12:30 PM   #2
ZtotheJ
2008 WK 

go BB. and going bigger then 32"s IMO with a 4.0 is a bad idea unless its regeared. you will like the look of a BB. its realllllly cheep and easy. sounds to me like thats the best route. good luck
[LIST][/LIST][CENTER][LIST][*]2008 brilliant black SRT-8, 180 t-state k&n cai, predator, resonators removed, MHP CMR tune, eibach springs, fan mod, esp/abs mod, X-50 radar, elite catch can, debaged/rebadged, stubby antenna. [*] 1997 ZJ LIMTED 6.5 SOLD! [*] 09 APBRA JET PILOT FREESTYLE ATTENDEE. [*]ZtotheJ build [*][url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=691232[/url][/LIST][/CENTER]

INAPPROPRIATE CONTENT KING!
ZtotheJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2009, 12:30 PM   #3
Greeeeenberg
1997 ZJ 

You can do the IRO F>R or maybe talk to Kolak to do a hybrid lift. Being as you dont go offroad a lot and want to go cheap do the BB but if you think once you get and will go offroad do the IRO.

Michigan Tech Jeepers Member #1
Greeeeenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2009, 12:35 PM   #4
ZtotheJ
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greeeeenberg View Post
You can do the IRO F>R or maybe talk to Kolak to do a hybrid lift. Being as you dont go offroad a lot and want to go cheap do the BB but if you think once you get and will go offroad do the IRO.
Whats a Hybird lift?? half electric?
[LIST][/LIST][CENTER][LIST][*]2008 brilliant black SRT-8, 180 t-state k&n cai, predator, resonators removed, MHP CMR tune, eibach springs, fan mod, esp/abs mod, X-50 radar, elite catch can, debaged/rebadged, stubby antenna. [*] 1997 ZJ LIMTED 6.5 SOLD! [*] 09 APBRA JET PILOT FREESTYLE ATTENDEE. [*]ZtotheJ build [*][url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=691232[/url][/LIST][/CENTER]

Unread 02-15-2009, 12:36 PM   #5
jlschneider
1998 ZJ 

I have a 4wheelcustoms 2.25 budget boost, and it makes plenty of room for 31's. I also opted for black diamond at shocks but i am now waiting to install my IRO F>R swap. The budget boost works if you ar eon just that, a budget. I would look at the MT's from treadwright cuz with smaller tires I like to get the most grip i can. Either way have fun and welcome to the world of being broke.
jlschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2009, 12:45 PM   #6
Chiefwahoo
1994 ZJ 

Thanks for the responses guys, but with my Jeep being older (165000 miles) will my suspension eventually sag back down after a while with the BB's on it?
Can I just put new shocks on it for like a 2-3" lift without replacing anything else? How much will that cost to install?
Unread 02-15-2009, 12:51 PM   #7
ZtotheJ
2008 WK 

your spirngs have already saged down with the BB it will add 2" to what ever your hight is now.
just shocks will work out fine. and a alliment after. keep us up to date! this is just how my rig started out its always cool seeing others get into it.

Unread 02-15-2009, 01:01 PM   #8
Chiefwahoo
1994 ZJ 

Thanks guys, looks like ill go with the 2.25" BB's and slap on some new shoes with the 31" BFG's.

Maybe some money left over for a meaner sounding exhaust? What do you guys recommend in that department? Remember it's a 4.0
Unread 02-15-2009, 01:06 PM   #9
ZtotheJ
2008 WK 

i got the 4.0 what i did was cut the cat and run a 40 series from flow master. it sounds SICKKKK. it was cheep got it all from auto zone and welded it myself. let me know if you want pics ill get you some.

Unread 02-15-2009, 01:48 PM   #10
Greeeeenberg
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZtotheJ View Post
Whats a Hybird lift?? half electric?
Like some components from here some components from there to get one complete lift. Mixing RE, IRO, etc to get one lift

OH if you want a smoother ride get shocks you will be extending them to there max and make it a rough ride. If your gonna go offroad get new shocks, if mall crawler you could get by but it will be rough.

Michigan Tech Jeepers Member #1
Greeeeenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2009, 01:56 PM   #11
SoCalDevyn
1998 ZJ 

id say go with the BB and some 31's

thats what im running and i love it, sure id like to go bigger but thats in the future, dont have that kinda fundage right now

also i got my tires from treadright, got the 31x10.5x15 Wrangler MT/R retreads and i love em
98 ZJ Limited 5.2, Blacked Out, 6.5" IRO Long Arm, 15x8 Pro Comp 97's, 35" MTZ's, Custom Front Bumper, Rusty's Disco's, KOR Light Bar, 8000K HID's, Magnaflow, CB, 5% Tint, System, TJ Gas Bezel, JKS Rear Trac Bar, Rusty's Front Trac Bar, KOR Stabilizer, Cold Air Intake, E-Fan, RCX Diff Guard, Clayton Brake Lines, MSD Ignition, Gen Right Louvers, Custom Sliders, IRO Belly Skid, Rigid Lights
SoCalDevyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2009, 07:02 PM   #12
Chiefwahoo
1994 ZJ 

One last question, with those tires, the 31's, can I keep my stock rims and still have it look like this (see link)? I've seen some Zj's with the 2" BB and 31"s looking good with different rims, and then others the tires and boost doesnt look like it made a difference at all.
I want my jeep to look like Nicks white ZJ in the picture.
Unread 02-15-2009, 07:04 PM   #13
Jones
Consider the following...

Don't waste your time with a BB less than a month later you will wish you had got the 3.5" kit.
Unread 02-15-2009, 07:19 PM   #14
spife7980
1997 ZJ 

^ true you will wish you had the 3.5" but if money is too tight then the budget boost is the way to go.
JCR Stage 2 Sliders, IRO Trans Skid, Carolina Drive shaft, IRO exhaust
spife7980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2009, 09:16 PM   #15
dpzj96
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by -ZJones- View Post
Don't waste your time with a BB less than a month later you will wish you had got the 3.5" kit.
I installed my BB last May and since then I have been kicking myself for not just saving for a little longer and getting the 3.5" IRO kit. Sure the BB was nice for a while, but once you lift your heep a little, you got the bug and always want to go bigger.
dpzj96 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.