Need help with a clunk - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Need help with a clunk

Bilstein Blowout Sale - 4 5100 Series Shocks $309.99 shippSALE PRICING, Specials, Huge Savings Alloy USA and Posi-LoPoison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955

Unread 02-20-2013, 06:25 AM   #1
HCrum87hc
1994 ZJ 

Need help with a clunk

Ok guys, I had my front drive shaft replaced around Thanksgiving due to violent vibrations when I got up to 60 mph. When I got in the Jeep to drive it home after replacement, I noticed that there was a new clunk. It was in line with the speed of the Jeep. As I went faster, it went faster. When I would coast, it would go away. When I braked, I could hear the clunk slowing down. It goes away when I get up to 45 mph. Since the shaft was changed, I've driven the Jeep on a few shorter road trips. One was 560 miles and the other was 280 miles round trip. I also drove it daily to and from work with no issues. Now that I'm trying to sell the Jeep, a lot of my potential buyers are concerned with the clunk. I don't know what to tell them, and I don't want to dump anymore money into the Jeep, but I may not have a choice. Any ideas?

HCrum87hc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2013, 06:29 AM   #2
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

So remove the front shaft and see if it goes away.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2013, 06:57 AM   #3
HCrum87hc
1994 ZJ 

I was under the impression that removing the shaft on a pre 96 249 tcase wasn't recommended.
Unread 02-20-2013, 07:16 AM   #4
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCrum87hc View Post
I was under the impression that removing the shaft on a pre 96 249 tcase wasn't recommended.
Well since you didn't take it back to the shop that put in the drive shaft I don't think you have much recourse here. The old shaft could have messed up the pinion or input shaft bearing or any number of things while it was wobbling at highway speeds. Not taking it back to the shop after you noticed a clunk and driving it several hundred miles wasn't the best idea.

It is bad for the VC to remove the front shaft but if you say that you can hear the clunk at low speeds then you could drive it a very short distance just to see if the noise goes away. If it does then you know it's the shaft or something it connects too. I wouldn't go on the highway or anything.
I would inspect the shafts u joints too while it's out.

A clunk can be anything. You just have to start ruling things out. Check everything in the front that rotates.
Unread 02-20-2013, 07:32 AM   #5
HCrum87hc
1994 ZJ 

I did take it back to the shop. They told me the shaft was fine and that the noise was coming from the tcase. They proceeded to tell me the tcase was bone dry and would need to be replaced for a little over 3 grand. He also told me they could only find one np249 in the whole country. I had a few issues with this because A: I have been checking the fluid regularly since the noise started, so I knew that wasn't true; and B: I know of multiple places where I can get a rebuilt tcase for under $700 dollars. I know because I've already replaced the original tcase when the VC went out. I'll drop the shaft and see what happens. Thanks.
Unread 02-20-2013, 07:34 AM   #6
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

What a terrible shop. 249's are all over the place in the thousands. You should be able to get a 242 for around 150 if it does turn out to be the T case. Maybe get the front up on jack stands and see if you can make the clunk while spinning the tires in N. It's a gamble though because a lot of the times these noises only show up under load and putting it in N and ff the ground takes that away. Good luck.
Unread 02-20-2013, 07:40 AM   #7
jimtuck

I have an 04 grand Cherokee limited..... I am having issues with all the gauges and heater flickering in and out..... It did it a couple of times then it left me stranded one day when it would start but stall immediately..... When I got it towed home the battery was dead..... I tryed charging it and it wouldn't take a charge. Then I went out and bought a new battery and it is working now but gauges and dash light is still flickering..... I purchased this thing brand new and only have 80,000 on it..... I would love to keep for the long haul but I am getting frustrated with this problem and don't want stranded again... Any suggestions????
jimtuck is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.