Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Need help before I scream - fuel line quick disconnects

8K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  AVR2 
#1 ·
Fuel line quick disconnects - correct Mopar P/N but doesn't fit

I disconnected the fuel lines to change my exhaust header, and now I'm trying to reconnect them. As per the FSM I discarded the old clips (they actually disintegrated as I tried to take then off) and bought new Mopar clip-and-O-ring packages, but while the clips, O-rings and spacers fit perfectly on the fuel rail spigots, the fuel lines themselves will not fit.

The lower line in the above picture almost fits, but even with all my strength behind it it doesn't want to click the last half-centimetre - and I know enough to know that I shouldn't need all my strength to make a quick-connect line fit. The upper line just doesn't fit at all; the collar section on the black clip is the exact same diameter as the receptacle on the fuel line, so there's no way that one is going to slide inside the other.

I checked and double-checked the Mopar part numbers, and they are correct. The original 1993 parts catalog lists 8350 2745 as the O-ring repair package for the 4.0L fuel line, and that's the P/N on the package I've got.

I don't know how significant it is, but when I disconnected the lines, there were no O-rings or spacers. I've obviously looked inside the lines to check if they're stuck in there, and I can't see them at all. In fact, it almost looks like there isn't enough space for the O-rings and spacers to fit inside the line.

So... any ideas? Junkyards are out, there are none near me and even if there were, my chances of finding a ZJ are slim to none (ZJs, especially early ZJs, almost don't exist here).

EDIT - I just had a look at Dorman's website, and perhaps these two things are what I need:

Fuel line connector - 3/8
Fuel line connector - 5/16

Both are listed as correct fit for the 93 4.0L ZJ... does anyone know for sure if those two lines are indeed 3/8" and 5/16"? I've already blown $33 on "correct" parts that don't fit...

See less See more
#2 ·
I cant tell whats going on from the pics, but those o-rings spacers and clips should all be able to load into the line and then you should be able to snap the line onto the rail. Usually when you disconnect the line the only thing that stays on the rail is the retainer clips. There has to be o-rings in the old lines, it would leak without them, you might make sure to dig the old o-rings and spacers out of the lines too. Worst case you might try using just the retainer clips only and see what happens.

#3 ·
those o-rings spacers and clips should all be able to load into the line and then you should be able to snap the line onto the rail
And that's what I tried to do at first, as per the FSM, but they just wouldn't fit. The plastic installation tool thing that they come supplied on wouldn't fit inside the line. That's when I thought "Okay, I'll take the clip and rings off the install tool and put them straight onto the fuel rail and then connect the fuel line over them", but that doesn't work either.

Worst case you might try using just the retainer clips only and see what happens.
But that's what I'm saying - the retainer clips themselves fit over the metal spigots for the fuel rail, but they won't fit inside the lines. Well, the lower one might fit if I take the O-rings and spacers off, but the upper clip absolutely will not fit. The collar section is the exact same diameter as the connector on the fuel line, when it should be fractionally smaller so that the connector will slide over the collar.

Just to reiterate, I've shone a light into both lines and dug around with my hook and pick set, and there are no O-rings or spacers inside them. It's bizarre.

EDIT - done some Googling, and other people have reported the exact same issues - no O-rings or spacers inside the lines when they removed them, and the replacement clips didn't fit, even though the P/N was correct and double-checked against their VIN. If only my old clips hadn't disintegrated...

#6 ·
I dont remember the collar/shoulder space being on the retainer piece. From what was left of your old clips, can you tell if that part matches? Look at this pic below and see if you can tell if they might be the right part for you or not, if so you need Dorman 800-005 & 800-006, get em at any auto parts store.

#9 ·
I actually got both, and that's exactly what they look like. I know that both are supposed to push into the fuel line, and then you remove the plastic plug which leaves all the components installed, but as I say, they won't physically fit inside the connector on the end the fuel line. I don't think the Dorman 800-005 and 006 clips will work, because they have a much shorter "nose" which butts up to the O-rings.

Assuming the existing connectors can be pulled off the hoses, I'm very much leaning towards buying the complete connector assemblies I listed above:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.