Need help battery dying. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Need help battery dying.

Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!

Unread 05-06-2013, 06:21 PM   #1
stormer1092
1994 ZJ 

Need help battery dying.

Well this is my situation. My battery gets really low to the point where the jeep barely starts or it goes completely dead over night. I went to oreilly had the battery and alternator tested, the results were Voltage was ok, diodes ok and amperage output was 40 amps with everything off at idle. I also performed a parasitic draw test and got 1.5 mA. Now I'm just kind of lost on what would be happening can anyone point me in a general direction? Oh my battery is 800cca.

Unread 05-06-2013, 07:40 PM   #2
durango-bob
2000 TJ Wrangler 

You can disconnect the battery overnight and see if it is OK in the morning. That would determine if you have a battery issue or an off draw issue.
durango-bob is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2013, 12:15 AM   #3
bullydog22
1995 ZJ 

Sounds like parasitic draw.
-Pull the negative battery cable and run your digital voltage meter on amps between the negative post on the battery and the negative bat. cable end.
-Observe and note the reading
-pull one fuse at a time until you see the reading drop. If you pull one fuse and it does not drop, put it back and and move to the next.
- once you find the fuse that makes the reading drop, you can determine which components are on that circuit and start testing/ replacing them.
GL
bullydog22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2013, 02:33 PM   #4
stormer1092
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullydog22 View Post
Sounds like parasitic draw.
-Pull the negative battery cable and run your digital voltage meter on amps between the negative post on the battery and the negative bat. cable end.
-Observe and note the reading
-pull one fuse at a time until you see the reading drop. If you pull one fuse and it does not drop, put it back and and move to the next.
- once you find the fuse that makes the reading drop, you can determine which components are on that circuit and start testing/ replacing them.
GL
already did that. 1.5 mA
Unread 05-07-2013, 02:43 PM   #5
JeepNicholson
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormer1092 View Post

already did that. 1.5 mA
So which fuse stopped the draw when you pulled it?
JeepNicholson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2013, 02:47 PM   #6
stormer1092
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepNicholson View Post
So which fuse stopped the draw when you pulled it?
1.5 mA is within acceptable range. I believe.
Unread 05-07-2013, 04:11 PM   #7
JeepNicholson
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormer1092 View Post

1.5 mA is within acceptable range. I believe.
Oh right, sorry, misunderstood you there.
JeepNicholson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2013, 04:16 PM   #8
elf517
1998 ZJ 

Mine does the same thing. My driver door is a little bit off and it doesn't close properly so the interior lights sometimes come back on after i walk away from it and they drain the battery.
elf517 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2013, 04:17 PM   #9
tucsonzj
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by elf517 View Post
Mine does the same thing. My driver door is a little bit off and it doesn't close properly so the interior lights sometimes come back on after i walk away from it and they drain the battery.
I was thinking hidden interior light, or possible random draw from audio system after turn off?
Unread 05-07-2013, 04:20 PM   #10
elf517
1998 ZJ 

Well I don't know about the aftermarket audio system I have had my sony xplode and my subs in long before it became an issue.
elf517 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2013, 06:29 PM   #11
durango-bob
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by durango-bob View Post
You can disconnect the battery overnight and see if it is OK in the morning. That would determine if you have a battery issue or an off draw issue.
How did this test work out?
durango-bob is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2013, 01:12 AM   #12
bullydog22
1995 ZJ 

Something is wrong in your diag. You say batt., alt , parasitic draw all test good , yet you still have a dead batt. in the morning? Cant be.
A draw over about .06 amps can kill a batt. over night. What did you have your DVOM set to when you tested draw? If you have access to, try testing the batt. with a load tester. I've had bad batt. test good with cheap conventional testers like AUTO ZONE uses.
bullydog22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2013, 02:11 AM   #13
Oldfrog
Web Wheeler
1997 ZJ 

Install the battery, start it up. Now take a digital volt meter and measure the voltage across the Battery terminals ( not the cable clamps, but the battery's terminals). ( 13.5v or better, is about right, as I recall. I think mine is around 14.XX...but 13.5 is probably Ok)

Next, take a reading across the battery cable clamps. The readings should be EXACTLY the same, if the engine is running and you're making good contact with the meter probes each time. If not....then you've begun to isolate your problem.

FYI :
Jeeps hate bad or aging batteries. If it's over 2 years old, you probably need to replace it anyway.

Words of wisdom, Posted by Zeejay:
"..it's not air, it is the opposite of air... suckage so to speak."

Stalling? Work through Zeejay's list
Oldfrog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2013, 10:28 AM   #14
tucsonzj
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfrog View Post
Install the battery, start it up. Now take a digital volt meter and measure the voltage across the Battery terminals ( not the cable clamps, but the battery's terminals). ( 13.5v or better, is about right, as I recall. I think mine is around 14.XX...but 13.5 is probably Ok)

Next, take a reading across the battery cable clamps. The readings should be EXACTLY the same, if the engine is running and you're making good contact with the meter probes each time. If not....then you've begun to isolate your problem.

FYI :
Jeeps hate bad or aging batteries. If it's over 2 years old, you probably need to replace it anyway.
Not to mention, when one goes wrong all goes wrong.
Unread 05-08-2013, 11:36 AM   #15
stormer1092
1994 ZJ 

I don't know what was going on with this. The last 2 days everything has been running fine. Maybe some light was left on or the brake lights stuck on or something and I just didn't notice. If it happens again I will update.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.