NEED HELP ASAP!!!!! did engine swap - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > NEED HELP ASAP!!!!! did engine swap

Long Arm kits for all JK models from Clayton Off RoadFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 07-28-2009, 08:46 PM   #1
jim75
1998 ZJ 

NEED HELP ASAP!!!!! did engine swap

i have a 98 4.0. friday night #5 piston exploded.so here it goes, pulled motor out of mine,pulled motor out of a 93 (4.0) put my head, intake,new ex. manifold, my oil pan and swaped distributer. put everything together and started it tonight. Exhaust manifiold glowing BRIGHT red. the exhaust has a strang rumbel to it. and the power lacks. so what gives????

a friend of mine said it is running realy lean, but doesent know why. could i not have it in time? is this what is causing all my problems?

please help this is my DD.

jim75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2009, 09:15 PM   #2
newfieZJ
Jeep Collector

1995 ZJ 

The 02 sensor could mess with the mixture , but , given your symptoms , I'd guess a sticking injecter . You can do the screwdriver to the ear method on each injecter or anything that sounds abnormal compared to others, listen for constant clicking . I can't think of anything else other than a restrictive exhaust . Ever do exhaust work to it ? Perhaps the cat isn't heathy
newfieZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2009, 09:31 PM   #3
jim75
1998 ZJ 

the exhaust was fine before i swaped and it has only run about 20 mins. i am kinda stuck thinking it is a timeing issue.
Unread 07-28-2009, 10:12 PM   #4
newfieZJ
Jeep Collector

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim75 View Post
the exhaust was fine before i swaped and it has only run about 20 mins. i am kinda stuck thinking it is a timeing issue.
Did you remove/change or adjust the distributer ? If so , you could be right . There's just no need to change the dist or mess with the base timing , the cam sensor should have been the only difference because of the plug in itself .

Even the base timing can be compensated by the PCM to a certain degree , you'd probably have to be off by 10 or more degrees IMO to cause much of an issue .

Back to the issue , did this occur idling or after a drive , did you drive it hard to get the manifold red hot . More details might change things .
newfieZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2009, 10:51 PM   #5
WiCkeDuDe
Web Wheeler

2002 WJ 

To be that hot it has to be a timing issue. Way to advanced I would say.
WiCkeDuDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2009, 11:37 PM   #6
Redrum_1
2000 WJ 

Some call it a timing issue but its really not. The ignition timing is read by the PCM from the crankshaft sensor and is taken care of by the PCM you can't change that. Now comes the Cam sensor in the distributor you moved the distributor and messed up the injector timing. Ignition timing and fuel timing have to work in the correct sequence in order for your engine to run right. Since I doubt you have access to a DRB III scan tool take your jeep to the dealership and have them put the fuel sync back in time with the ignition timing and all should be well again.

Good Luck...
2013 Dodge Ram 1500 Express Quad Cab. 5.7L Hemi 6 speed automatic 3:55 gears LSD with 20 inch rubber
2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4.0L
2003 Nissan 350Z Enthusiast Model 6 speed manual
2002 Audi A6 Avant Quattro 3.0L Auto
Redrum_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2009, 11:54 PM   #7
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

The dist is 180 out. Take it out and be sure you have number 1cyl at tdc compression and line up the rotor with number one plug post on the dist. Good luck.

Its not something you'll want to mess with in the computer. Always fix it mechanically, the computer obviously didn't change out of nowhere.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2009, 04:41 AM   #8
jim75
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfieZJ View Post
Did you remove/change or adjust the distributer ? If so , you could be right . There's just no need to change the dist or mess with the base timing , the cam sensor should have been the only difference because of the plug in itself .

Even the base timing can be compensated by the PCM to a certain degree , you'd probably have to be off by 10 or more degrees IMO to cause much of an issue .

Back to the issue , did this occur idling or after a drive , did you drive it hard to get the manifold red hot . More details might change things .
it was just sitting at an idel when i noticed it.
Unread 07-29-2009, 04:55 AM   #9
dobe
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfieZJ View Post

Yes I would put the original distributor back in.
dobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2009, 09:21 AM   #10
jim75
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobe View Post
Yes I would put the original distributor back in.
i think i might give it a try...

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.