Need Help Asap!!!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Need Help Asap!!!!

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 01-08-2009, 10:57 PM   #1
sparelink

Need Help Asap!!!!

i am trying to install a kenwood stereo into my 1996 grand Cherokee and i am having problems. i am not getting any sound from my speakers, my subwoofer amp turns on but no sub either. So i am pretty sure that my amp turn on is working. i dont have an owners manual so i dont know what fuses to check. the stereo turns on and plays music but is just not coming out of the speakers. have any of you ran into this? what will fix it? please give me any ideas on how to fix it.

sparelink is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2009, 11:52 PM   #2
mdav8629
1999 WJ 

go to the12volt.com. you have to work around the stock amplifier. that is why it isnt working.
mdav8629 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2009, 11:27 AM   #3
sparelink

thanks are they any other things that i can look for i am pretty sure all the wiring is right
Unread 01-09-2009, 10:47 PM   #4
dieth
2008 WK 

What stereo are you replacing? My 96 doesn't have an amp so I didn't have to wire around anything.

With the premium radio, you can still run through the amp depending on the options of your Kenwood. If you have pre-outs, those should work going thru the amp.
dieth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2009, 10:52 PM   #5
sparelink

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieth View Post
With the premium radio, you can still run through the amp depending on the options of your Kenwood. If you have pre-outs, those should work going thru the amp.

there are no pre-outs on the stock amp. and yes it is the premium. we just removed a old aftermarket stereo. but this one is not working. i have hooked up the kenwood through a wiring harness adapter. matching all the right wires. i got the subwoofer to turn on today after i actually hooked that up right. but i still cannot get any sound to come out of the regular speakers. I know that the amp should be turning on. (this is the OEM amp, have the premium sound in the car) but i still do not get any sounds. i have checked all of the fuses that i can think of. under the hood right next to the battery, and in the passengers foot well, and i pulled each and every one just in case. still nothing. is there any other fuses to try? do any of you have a way to test the amp its self? please help me, i am leaving Sunday morning for a few weeks and my bro needs music in his car!!!
Unread 01-10-2009, 02:50 AM   #6
Mickey_D
1997 ZJ 

There is a pair of wires (I think they are blue with a yellow stripe) that need to be hooked up to your Kenwood's power amp turn on wire. So you're going to have three wires all joining that blue wire coming out of your Kenwood. Don't quote me on the wire color. I can check in the morning as I'm only home on lunch right now.
[_][][][][][][][][_]

Mickey_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2009, 07:25 AM   #7
Mickey_D
1997 ZJ 

Ok, I checked the wiring diagrams for the 95 ZJ Limited with the Infinity Gold Premium Audio. The wire that needs to be hooked to the blue output wire from your Kenwood is in fact Dark Green with a Red stripe on it. This also controls your power antenna. It's pin 7 on the 7 pin black connector on the back of the radio.

Connect that one up and you should be golden.

Oh, and the amplifier is set for speaker level inputs. Putting the line out from a modern stereo would result in REALLY low volumes and crappy sound. I've got a 54W X 4 VR3 deck in mine using the stock amplifier and stock speakers and it does pretty decent. I added a 200W amp and a pair of 10" subs to kick in a little bass. But the mids and highs SCREAM out of the stock speakers.
[_][][][][][][][][_]

Unread 01-10-2009, 04:56 PM   #8
sparelink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey_D View Post
Ok, The wire that needs to be hooked to the blue output wire from your Kenwood is in fact Dark Green with a Red stripe on it. This also controls your power antenna. It's pin 7 on the 7 pin black connector on the back of the radio.
that was it, thanks so much
Unread 01-10-2009, 07:23 PM   #9
Mickey_D
1997 ZJ 

Glad I could help.
[_][][][][][][][][_]

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.