Need Help.....ASAP! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Need Help.....ASAP!

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 10-24-2003, 10:55 AM   #1
jeep_4me

Need Help.....ASAP!

Hey,

I have a 95 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited V8 & all of a sudden it started stuttering. I turned it off for a while & started it back up with the same results. I decided to get it home & about a mile later it stopped. I left it for a while & came back to it. Then I checked the fuel rail & it was getting fuel. Then I pulled a plug to see if it would arc. I didn't see it arc, but the engine started. I then reinstalled the plug & it started up again then died. I did it one last time & it stayed on. I got brave & decided to try to get it home. The first turn I went around it wanted to die because I slowed down. So as long as the engine is working hard it doesn't want to die. I was able to get it home with it only shutting down once but it started back up right away.

So that's where I'm at. I had the alternator tested & it was ok. I tested the coil & was getting 132000 ohm's. I was also thinking since the engine started when the plug touched the block, could it be a bad ground? My other possible thoughts are the distrubitor or the idle air control sensor.

The plugs & wires are not that old & it's been running great with good gas mileage.
If anyone has a suggestion, please let me know.
Thanks for the help!

jeep_4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2003, 03:25 PM   #2
RockPaws

It sounds like a fuel the fuel pump is on its way out. I would check for fuel pressure and flow at the rail. If it is the pump, also change the fuel filter at the same time.
If that checks out ok, start check ing the electrical connectors around the engine compartment. DIsconnect them and re- connect. Look for loose grounds, or corrosion around the connections. If you have the digital odometer display, you can check for any codes with the key off on method.
[FONT=Trebuchet MS]01' Jeep TJ (Jeep #5)
3.5 RE Custom SuperFlex, Raingler, Kilby, Currie, Banks, Borla, American Racing, Custom mods, Always more in the works.
[URL=http://www.redrock4x4.com][COLOR=Blue]www.redrock4x4.com Rocks![/COLOR][/URL]
[URL=www.needhim.org/][COLOR=Blue]Need Him?[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT]
RockPaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2003, 04:54 PM   #3
CLASH
1995 ZJ 

you know what I had this same prolbem in my XJ. It would only run for a bit or if you were really revving the piss out of it.

I have question.. When it is running is the engine really hot and what does you temp quage read. Mine was maxed out. It was getting hot because it was getting very little fuel. And then was running hot.

So the prolbem was the fuel pump. (What a ***** to replace)

** you know what I just read your story again. That is exactly what mine was doing... have your fuel pump checked.

Last edited by CLASH; 10-25-2003 at 04:57 PM..
CLASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2003, 07:28 AM   #4
Swamp Boy
1993 ZJ 

Look at some of the other fuel pump links... There is a link to a swap from intake to inline fuel pump..
The Swampy Bypass is very easy to do and cost about 1/3 of the price of replacement..

If you have any problems or questions email me..
swampboy@ikillclowns.com

Carl
Unread 10-27-2003, 12:49 PM   #5
Harald

Agree that fuel pump is the most likely. But here is another one. My wife had our 96 limited 5.2L out of town. It suddely stoped. It restarted, but stoped after a few hundred metres. Left it to the day after, started without problems, but stopped. Had to tow it to a dealer. Error was one of the battery cells failing. New battery, and the motor runs perfect. Some of the sensors are very touchy and fails on low voltage. The alternator will not give enough voltage to run the systems if the battery is defect.
Harald is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2003, 04:22 PM   #6
Swamp Boy
1993 ZJ 

I know that the computer takes at least 10 volts but a good alt.
should put out 13.6... There fore the alt. should keep the engine running.. Unless there is a dead cell in the battery which caused a dead short.. It sounds like your experience it the exception rather than the rule.. But I understand your point.. Thats why I suggested checking the coil and fuel pressure .
SO you can be sure its the pump before you change it..

Just a thought.. With the dead cell did the starter drag .
I am just wondering how it could have started the vehicle ,which takes much more current , and then not be able to keep it running., which should take next to nothing from the battery..
Sounds a little strange.. But I guess stranger things have happened.

Carl
Unread 10-28-2003, 10:30 AM   #7
Harald

According to my wife, car started (chranked) as normal. And so it will as long as the battery provides adequate amps. In Norway, due to climate, "Norwegian" Jeeps have alternators of 14.00- to 14.25 volts. I just mentioned "the battery case" as one of the more obscure possibilities, that cannot be ruled out. But the car's volt metre is now a couple of millimetres on the pos. side of the 14 volt mark.
Harald is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.