Need Help Asap! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Need Help Asap!

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 07-01-2007, 01:00 AM   #1
sfblitz849
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Need Help Asap!

Just a few minutes ago my 96 ZJ died on me. I was at a stop sign and making a right. As I proceeded through the intersection making the right hand turn the Jeep shut off, causing me to loose power steering, brakes, etc. The lights and everything still work. When you try to start it back up it just keeps on turning over. This seems like a fuel pump to me, but could it be something else? Is there anything I can do to trouble shoot this? Also, is there a fuel pump shut off switch somewhere....I dont have an owners manual. Again, its a 96 ZJ Laredo 4.0.

Please leave any advice possible.
Thanks in advance,
Mark

sfblitz849 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2007, 01:20 AM   #2
j.love
1994 ZJ 

Check your fuses in your engine compartment. listen for your fuel pump relay to click when you turn the ignition switch and if you can hear the pump kick in.

there is a gauge on the dash that tells you if you have fuel of not... (trying to make you smile a bit)
Originally Posted by ratmonkey View Post
I wouldn't drive down a driveway on that.
''If we do everything right, if we do it with absolute certainty, there's still a 30% chance we're going to get it wrong.''
Joe Biden
j.love is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2007, 01:41 AM   #3
sfblitz849
1997 XJ Cherokee 

there is a gauge on the dash that tells you if you have fuel of not... (trying to make you smile a bit)[/QUOTE]

What gauge, is it just the regular gauge that tells me how much gas is in the tank or is it a light or something?
Unread 07-01-2007, 02:24 AM   #4
j.love
1994 ZJ 

lol there will be a light that tells you when your getting low too!

Did you check the fuses? make sure that you pump has power before you blaim the pump thats all I'm saying. the gauge thing is a joke.
Originally Posted by ratmonkey View Post
I wouldn't drive down a driveway on that.
''If we do everything right, if we do it with absolute certainty, there's still a 30% chance we're going to get it wrong.''
Joe Biden
j.love is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2007, 09:04 AM   #5
sfblitz849
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Ok, I just drove out to the Jeep and it started right up! Didnt even hesitate. Im glad it seems to be ok now.....but could this be a problem that will pop up again? What may have been the cause of this? Thanks again everyone for your help so far!

and lol on the gauge thing, i dont know what i was thinking
Unread 07-01-2007, 10:02 AM   #6
YJinMN
2007 WK 

My money is on the crank position sensor is starting to go. I had the EXACT problem- Jeep dying with all of the accessories still working- then it fires up like nothing happened a few minutes later. I just fixed it yesterday- and posted a write-up.

No sputtering, just dead, right?

And yes, it will probably happen again. Keep us updated.

MP
YJinMN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2007, 10:07 AM   #7
YJinMN
2007 WK 

Double post, oops..
YJinMN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2007, 10:50 AM   #8
sfblitz849
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Yea, no sputtering...it just dies, then a few minutes later it starts back up. After doing some searches on this site and listening to other peoples opinion I agree that it is most likely the Crank Shaft Sensor. But it also seems like it could be the Cam Shaft Sensor. Is there an easy way (other than hooking a computer up to it) to tell which one it is?
Unread 07-16-2007, 12:11 PM   #9
sfblitz849
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Hey everyone, my Jeep ended up needing a CPS and an ECM. Somehow the ECM got all coroded inside and destroyed all the wires and stuff in there. Its all fixed now and running great. Thanks for the help!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.