JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/)
-   -   Need Help Asap! (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/need-help-asap-432643/)

sfblitz849 07-01-2007 12:00 AM

Need Help Asap!

Just a few minutes ago my 96 ZJ died on me. I was at a stop sign and making a right. As I proceeded through the intersection making the right hand turn the Jeep shut off, causing me to loose power steering, brakes, etc. The lights and everything still work. When you try to start it back up it just keeps on turning over. This seems like a fuel pump to me, but could it be something else? Is there anything I can do to trouble shoot this? Also, is there a fuel pump shut off switch somewhere....I dont have an owners manual. Again, its a 96 ZJ Laredo 4.0.

Please leave any advice possible.
Thanks in advance,
Mark

j.love 07-01-2007 12:20 AM

Check your fuses in your engine compartment. listen for your fuel pump relay to click when you turn the ignition switch and if you can hear the pump kick in.

there is a gauge on the dash that tells you if you have fuel of not... :) (trying to make you smile a bit)

sfblitz849 07-01-2007 12:41 AM

there is a gauge on the dash that tells you if you have fuel of not... :) (trying to make you smile a bit)[/QUOTE]

What gauge, is it just the regular gauge that tells me how much gas is in the tank or is it a light or something?

j.love 07-01-2007 01:24 AM

lol there will be a light that tells you when your getting low too!

Did you check the fuses? make sure that you pump has power before you blaim the pump thats all I'm saying. the gauge thing is a joke.

sfblitz849 07-01-2007 08:04 AM

Ok, I just drove out to the Jeep and it started right up! Didnt even hesitate. Im glad it seems to be ok now.....but could this be a problem that will pop up again? What may have been the cause of this? Thanks again everyone for your help so far!

and lol on the gauge thing, i dont know what i was thinking

YJinMN 07-01-2007 09:02 AM

My money is on the crank position sensor is starting to go. I had the EXACT problem- Jeep dying with all of the accessories still working- then it fires up like nothing happened a few minutes later. I just fixed it yesterday- and posted a write-up.

No sputtering, just dead, right?

And yes, it will probably happen again. Keep us updated.

MP

YJinMN 07-01-2007 09:07 AM

Double post, oops..

sfblitz849 07-02-2007 09:50 AM

Yea, no sputtering...it just dies, then a few minutes later it starts back up. After doing some searches on this site and listening to other peoples opinion I agree that it is most likely the Crank Shaft Sensor. But it also seems like it could be the Cam Shaft Sensor. Is there an easy way (other than hooking a computer up to it) to tell which one it is?

sfblitz849 07-16-2007 11:11 AM

Hey everyone, my Jeep ended up needing a CPS and an ECM. Somehow the ECM got all coroded inside and destroyed all the wires and stuff in there. Its all fixed now and running great. Thanks for the help!

The time now is 07:44 PM.