Need Help ASAP - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Need Help ASAP

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 04-10-2005, 10:45 PM   #1
helpmeplz101

Need Help ASAP

Hello,

I have a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee limited V8 with quadra-drive. Whenever I turn the steering wheel all the way to one side (in order to get into a tight spot or make a U-turn etc...) The Jeep starts to buck, screech, skid and make a very loud clicking noise. It is now at the point where I can't even pull into parking spots. When I turn the wheel all the way the jeep will not move unless I hit the gas, and then the madness starts. The wheels seem to be turning against eachother causing major resistance to the point where there is actual skidding (by skidding I mean wheels are turning but the jeep isnt moving). Is this a known problem with quadra-drive? I bought the jeep about 6 months ago and the problem has gotten progressively worse. Now it is at the point where I cannot drive it anymore. This clicking sound has just begun, it is so loud u can feel the vibrations under your feet. This problem only occurs when I turn the steering wheel more than half a rotation in any direction. I can turn corners, change lanes etc..

Does anyone have any ideas of what the problem may be ? I suspect it is something to do with the quadra-drive. When I first got the jeep a friend told me that a little resistance is normal when driving an all time 4WD vehicle so I didn't think much of it. Now It has gotten so bad that I can't drive the jeep anymore.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Mike

helpmeplz101 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-10-2005, 10:47 PM   #2
clausen50

Your Viscous Coupler is shot. Do a search on VC or viscous coupler. You should find a lot of good info.

Good Luck!

Dave

/l , [____],
l----L -OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
clausen50 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-10-2005, 11:20 PM   #3
helpmeplz101

Thanks Clausen.

Do I have to replace the whole transfer case or just the viscous coupler?

Does anyone know the ballpark on how much it would cost to fix? (cost+labor)
helpmeplz101 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-11-2005, 12:37 AM   #4
EMTimZJ
GSMW!

1994 ZJ 

You do not have a vicious coupler so that cannot be the problem. Clausen is correct that those are the simptoms of a bad VC but the VC only exists in the 249.

The transfer case that you have is the 247... basically the same as a 249 but without the sometimes trouble some Viscous Coupling. Instead the 247 comes with a Progressive Coupling which is supposed to be better due to its ability to have the fluid circulate through it to reduce wear. The 249 is a sealed unit and cannot do this.

I'm with Clausen on his diagnosis except that it is a Progressive Coupling not a Viscous Coupling

No you do not have to replace your entire TC but just plan on spending some money if there really is a problem...

Project TORTOISE Build-up thread

JCR Rock Sliders Ford Taurus E-fan Install Dana 20 Twin Stick
EMTimZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-11-2005, 02:02 AM   #5
01grander

From what ive seen w/ people that had vc's go bad which you i guess dont have one is that its pretty expensive. Ive never understood why they dont buy a totally rebuilt one for a very little more money. I dont know how much the other kind is to replace but if its around the same ammount <200 then id say just get a rebuilt one if your going to keep it awhile.
Plenty of Hellas.
01grander is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.