Need help with 93 Grand Cherokee ignition issues - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Need help with 93 Grand Cherokee ignition issues

JcrOffroad Black Friday Sale!Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!

Unread 12-09-2011, 07:26 AM   #1
deviantjeep
1993 ZJ 

Need help with 93 Grand Cherokee ignition issues

So I recently bought a 93 ZJ, not my first jeep but it is my first grand. The guy I bought it from had it sitting in his garage for like 8 months with an empty fuel tank. When I filled the tank it stirred up alot of sediment, and fouled up the pump. So I dropped the tank cleaned it out, put a new pump in it and new filter, it ran fine for a day or two then crapped out again. I've since replaced the fuel injectors ( i went with the ev6 style 4 pintle injectors from a dodge neon etc...) and it's still not starting up. The engine turns...all day, but it just won't ignite. So my next thought was ignition systems, so i replaced my spark plugs and wires, the distributor cap has no visible breakdown or defaults and the rotor arm seems fine also, no corrosion and plenty of spring in it. I've tested the resistance of my ignition coil and it seems within tolerances. I'm completely out of ideas here, and my wife is friggin peeved off! PLS PLS PLS PLS HELP!

deviantjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2011, 07:55 AM   #2
maimedsk8er
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Have you checked your ignition fuse? What size of engine do you have?
Unread 12-09-2011, 07:56 AM   #3
maimedsk8er
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Since it's been sitting for so long I'd be inclined to clean up all grounds and check all harnesses. Jeeps don't like dirty connections in the wiring, but love mud on the paint!!
Unread 12-09-2011, 08:34 AM   #4
Azzy
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

I hate to say it but...

Check yonder grounds, hit them with an ohmmeter and see if you get any resistance in the wires, they do get eaten from the inside out after a while. If it has the 4.0, check the TPS and CPS. Mainly the CPS, it will cause a crank but not start symptom. Also since you had the pump out and were working there, check your fuel rail for proper pressure, 30 lbs before start, 45-60 while running.
Unread 12-09-2011, 10:06 AM   #5
deviantjeep
1993 ZJ 

Why wrong forum? This is Cherokee technical right?

As for the Jeep, it's a 4.0L Straight 6.

Yonder grounds? Whats these? and TPS/CPS what/where are these? I've checked the fuses nothing looks bad. All my electronics turn on....I also do not have a fuel pressure gauge...guess I should get one, I checked the line going to the rail, disconnected it and turned ignition to ON to let the pump turn on, I got fuel from that end, so I had figured it was getting adequate fuel.
Unread 12-09-2011, 10:06 AM   #6
deviantjeep
1993 ZJ 

oh damn i did post in the wrong forum....my bad!
Unread 12-09-2011, 10:24 AM   #7
maimedsk8er
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by deviantjeep View Post
oh damn i did post in the wrong forum....my bad!
lol
Unread 12-09-2011, 11:18 AM   #8
deviantjeep
1993 ZJ 

grr now it's here twice....doh!
Unread 12-09-2011, 12:34 PM   #9
Azzy
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Yonder grounds... like yonder clouds or yonder house...

Go check your ground wires. 4.0 is sensitive on the ground wiring... it will and can cause all sorts of gremlins. Not sure where they might be on a GC though.

TPS - Throttle position sensor
CPS - Crankshaft Position sensor.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.