Need help with 5.9 trans issue. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Need help with 5.9 trans issue.

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOfficial Chassis Saver Rust Preventive Truck & Auto UnFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 08-23-2009, 09:09 PM   #1
gottarottie
1998 ZJ 

Need help with 5.9 trans issue.

I got my 5.9 a little while ago, i got it cheap since the transmission needs work. I have some questions that i hope some one can help me with. I have real issues taking this to the dealership.

They worked on the out-put shaft seal, since then it's been a no go. It drives but makes alot of noise (rattley gear'ie kind of noise, but only when put into drive), the dealership told the previous owner that it needs a new rear oil pump. I am concerned they messed with this jeep to get it back in the door. After the output shaft seal was done, the jeep went on a 1,000km drive and on the way back it was slippy through gears and started to make this noise!

I am debating ither rebuilding the trans myself or buying a rebuilt, i am no master mechanic but i am inclined enough to get it done, but my question is this.

Would some thing not allined correctly durring install cause these issues? What exactly, beeing installed wrong might cause this? Would a shot oil pump throw codes on a ODBII reader? (i have one on order)

I really could use some advice, on how i can diagnose this at home.

Thanks
GR

gottarottie is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.