Need help? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Need help?

All Bilstein shocks & struts - Lowest Prices Ever and Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 03-21-2013, 09:38 AM   #1
ZJNewbi3
1995 ZJ 

Need help?

I bought a 95 Limited 5.2L V8 171k miles in October, and ever since December I've been having this problem:

If I have to make a hard brake (ABS not going off) or sometimes even if I just stop on a perfect new road, I notice a sort of "locking" then I could take my foot off the brake and my Jeep won't move.(Tested this once, I don't do this though I keep it on the brake) Then when I go to hit the gas, rpm's go but five seconds later the Jeep sort of skids then I'm driving normally. It seems to me like it shifted into gear? I'm not much of an expert on vehicles though. Here's a couple other things that could be related?

Before I took it out my VIC read "service 4WD switch" but it was replaced when I bought the Jeep (VIC issue probably?)

The shifter can move between Drive and Neutral without depressing the button

Also recently, I shifted from reverse to drive, and the motor shut off. Lights, wipers, heat, radio all remained on. I put it in park, turned the vehicle off, then started it up and it ran just fine.

Any ideas on these? Thanks!!!

ZJNewbi3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2013, 11:21 AM   #2
RedDirtKustoms

I'd do the 44k fuel system cleaner and drop your fuel filter. Mine did that a lot. Also your zj has like a safety feature built in. Mine allows me to depress button to get out of park. Then i have to freely go down past drive into 2nd (no button) and back up ( it then locks into drive gears. I assume to keep you from slamming into reverse) I say that's normal. Took me a min to figure it out and was kind of weird. ) I could be wrong my zj has 240k on her. And it's the only jeep I've ever owned. I'm sure someone will post if I'm incorrect and both of ours are jacked up. Lol. My theory. If ain't broke don't fix it. Try the fuel filter and an injector cleaner. Cheap and easy. I hope I've helped,
RedDirtKustoms is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2013, 11:56 AM   #3
jeepkid945
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDirtKustoms View Post
I'd do the 44k fuel system cleaner and drop your fuel filter. Mine did that a lot. Also your zj has like a safety feature built in. Mine allows me to depress button to get out of park. Then i have to freely go down past drive into 2nd (no button) and back up ( it then locks into drive gears. I assume to keep you from slamming into reverse) I say that's normal. Took me a min to figure it out and was kind of weird. ) I could be wrong my zj has 240k on her. And it's the only jeep I've ever owned. I'm sure someone will post if I'm incorrect and both of ours are jacked up. Lol. My theory. If ain't broke don't fix it. Try the fuel filter and an injector cleaner. Cheap and easy. I hope I've helped,
Mine moves freely through the whole range, but ive got 337, 000 on it and I dont even have ti depress the brake to shift. But im sure mines all jacked up to.
jeepkid945 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2013, 03:34 PM   #4
RedDirtKustoms

Right on you've got a survivor
Unread 03-25-2013, 09:35 AM   #5
ZJNewbi3
1995 ZJ 

By the way, when my rpm's go up its only to 1000 then it moves. Hopefully the fuel cleaning and dropping the fuel filter will work. Waiting for warmer weather.
Unread 03-25-2013, 10:27 AM   #6
RedDirtKustoms

Warmer weather. You must be up north. Surprisingly that fu
Unread 03-25-2013, 10:29 AM   #7
RedDirtKustoms

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDirtKustoms
Warmer weather. You must be up north. Surprisingly that fu
Ya wrong button lol. That fuel filter shouldn't be any issues getting on or off. Took me 20 minutes and I'm the painter in the group. Not the mechanic lol. I'll take a pick of the fuel cleaner I recommend. I get it at a small town auto parts dealer.
Unread 03-25-2013, 12:01 PM   #8
ZJNewbi3
1995 ZJ 

Yeah I'm in Wisconsin haha Saturday was beautiful at 45degress gave me two hours after work to do touch up work (replaced many rusted interior panel screws). Awesome man thanks for the help!
Unread 03-26-2013, 05:02 PM   #9
ZJNewbi3
1995 ZJ 

So today I finally payed a little more attention and found that the "locking" noise is a low grumble that comes from under the back seat area. Any other ideas? My uncle and I also checked the tranny fluid, its in the ok level, not much of a sent though (heard it was supposed to smell sweet?) but then again we were sanding wood earlier so the dust in our noses could of blocked anything. Uncle said to check transfer case fluid, where is it located?
Unread 03-26-2013, 05:06 PM   #10
HighLonesome
Belief In All Things Jeep

1995 ZJ 

If you hit the throttle and the RPMs increase, but the Jeep starts moving 5 seconds later, I'm gonna guess the transmission is slipping.
HighLonesome is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2013, 10:26 PM   #11
ZJNewbi3
1995 ZJ 

Not good news but what explains this "locking" I'm hearing/noticing?
Unread 03-26-2013, 11:12 PM   #12
phishy
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZJNewbi3 View Post
Maybe a caliper is hanging up?
phishy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-27-2013, 09:10 AM   #13
HighLonesome
Belief In All Things Jeep

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZJNewbi3 View Post
Can't venture a guess without hearing it. Is the transfer case properly in gear? The transfer case is what is under the back seat.
HighLonesome is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-27-2013, 09:53 AM   #14
ZJNewbi3
1995 ZJ 

It sits in drive? My uncle did recommend to check the fluid in the case but I need a day off of work and an idea of where it is to check would it have anything to do with the 4WD switch? my VIC did say it was faulty (before I took it out)
Unread 03-27-2013, 10:13 AM   #15
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Did you Check the fluid level with the vehicle runnin and in neutral? If not you'll get a false high reading.

What the heck is a locking noise anyways?

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.