Need cooling system help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Need cooling system help

WJ Shackle Tabs: Tow-Hook Replacements2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 06-14-2012, 12:10 PM   #1
tomsmoot
1996 ZJ 

Need cooling system help

Hey,

Ok to start, I have cracked a few radiators in the last few years. I realize that is not completely abnormal. Today I was working on my ZJ when I saw first hand what is happening. There is some kind of problem with my e-fan setup. It will not turn on when the A/C is on. So, what happened was, at idle with the A/C on, all of the sudden the A/C compressor was engaged, and struggling to turn. Almost immediately after, the radiator started spraying freakin' hot coolant all over.

My assumption is that without the fan to cool the evaporator, pressure (and heat) build up quickly and cause this problem. This contributes to, if not causes, the radiator cracking problem. Well, my e-fan setup is almost exactly stock from the '98 5.9L. I have the dual coolant temperature sensors in the radiator hoses to the high/ low relays. My problem is that I can't figure out what is going on electrically with the A/C clutch signal to turn on the fan whenever the A/C is on. It seems as though the signal is high (+12v) while the clutch is disengaged, and low (0V) when the clutch is engaged. Specifically, I measure the PCM A/C clutch out at +12v whenever the ZJ is running, which to me just sounds stupid. Maybe it's a problem with the A/C panel itself, or does that signal goto the A/C panel after the PCM and accumulator switch.

This is following the wiring diagram in the crappy Haynes manual. I'm hoping someone else has had this problem and could possibly identify a wire color in the harness or otherwise confirm or deny what I interpret as happening...

www.smootees.net
tomsmoot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
a/c , fan , radiator

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.