need confirmation that fuel sending unit will fix erratic guel gauge - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > need confirmation that fuel sending unit will fix erratic guel gauge

Artec Holiday Sale!Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 06-13-2012, 04:01 PM   #1
tcabello
1998 ZJ 

need confirmation that fuel sending unit will fix erratic guel gauge

I have 98 zj and have replaced the pcm a while back...I had all the standard issues, stalling, dying, hesitaiton, etc, etc...jeeps seems to better since pcm has been replaced...it did stutter once on a 3hr trip but hasn't done it since...

however, my fuel gauge is acting weird...usually with 1/4 of a tank left (more or less) the guel guage drops to E and the low fuel light goes on...then it jumps back to normal...

before y'all say to do a search...i did...just spent about 45 minutes looking through old threads...however, I didn't find any concrete answers...a couple of threads suggested the gauge cluster be replaced and others suggested the sending unit on the fuel pump was the problem...but I didn't read a single thread that gave a difinitive answer...

(oh, and I also read how a bad pcm might be the culprit, which worries me and makes me think i might have to replace pcm again)

so, has anyone solved this problem??

Thanks

tcabello is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2012, 04:48 PM   #2
coralman
I can wish can't I?

1998 ZJ 

Mine was doing that. The pump was going too so I replaced the fuel pump module. Problem fixed.
coralman is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2012, 05:05 PM   #3
Technohead
Old School

1998 ZJ 

Yes, it typically fixes the problem. But as with all things in life there is never any guarantee.
Technohead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2012, 05:20 PM   #4
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

it's a standard chrysler sending unit issue. vehicles from the 90's through 2006 or so do it straight from the lot.
new sending unit will probably fix it, but not always.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2012, 06:23 PM   #5
coralman
I can wish can't I?

1998 ZJ 

I could be wrong but I don't think the signal from the unit directly feeds the gauge. It goes into the bcm or pcm also I think. So yep, could be more to it than just the unit.
coralman is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2012, 07:27 PM   #6
cootertwo
1997 XJ Cherokee 

My 97 4.0 also does the same exact thing. I figure it's the sending unit, in the tank. You gotta figure the gas sloshing around when below half a tank, constantly works the sending unit, and eventually (170,000 miles on mine) wears that particular place out. I'm used to it by now, and considering the cost of a new pump/sending unit , not to mention having to drop the tank to do it, I'll just wait till the pump gives out first. I too, have a reman ECM/PCM, and it had no effect on the gauge problem. Just one of those MANY jeep things. But, I think we tend to forget just how old, and how many miles we have on our rigs. Most any vehicle with over 150,000 miles will also have a ton of problems. I do wish we had less computerized crap, but we got what we got. I would have never guessed that a 1997 vehicle would be so advanced with all the sensors, etc. etc. Like for instance, how many vehicles have a temp sensor under the battery? Or a low washer fluid sensor, low coolant tank sensor, etc. etc. When they all work, it's wonderful. When they don't, it can be a nightmare.
cootertwo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2012, 11:15 PM   #7
tcabello
1998 ZJ 

thanks for the advice...I guess I'll just wait 'till the fuel pump gives out and hope that fixes the fuel gauge...it really isn't that bad, it only acts weird at about he 1/4 tank mark...above that it's fine (so far)...I'm not ocd or anything, but I do like my cars to perform as they should, especially an older vehicle because people expect things to be wrong and are surprised when older cars look and perform well...

well thanks again and y'all have a good one.
tcabello is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.