Need advise on Transmission removal - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Need advise on Transmission removal

JK Front Lower Adjustable Control Arms!QTP Low Profile Cutouts Now @ MarylandSpeed- Free ShippingOPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!

Unread 07-19-2013, 11:02 AM   #1
MatthewBaker88
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Need advise on Transmission removal

Hello, thanks in advance for anyone who helps.
I have a 1996 jeep grand cherokee laredo which recently had a freeze plug go out in the back of the block. the question is me and a buddy of mine or gonna drop the transmission to replace the 2 that are back there and i have to experience with this. Just need a little advise about certain tools and what to watch out for. Thanks

MatthewBaker88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2013, 11:13 AM   #2
zjosh93
1993 ZJ 

I've had my 42RE out three times now and it's a fairly doable job with basic hand tools and a good jack. You will need quick disconnect tools to remove the cooler lines. Make sure to remove all the cables and wiring. Drop the drive shaft and plug the output housing. Unbolt the flywheel, make sure no to lose those bolts.

The hardest part for me is that the 42RE can't balance on its oil pan at a convenient angle. The center of gravity s too far forward. It makes it hard to pull the trans back without dragging on the flywheel.

Buy some bolts the same thread as the trans to engine bolts a little longer than the stock ones and cut the heads off. Slot the ends and use them as alignment dowels when you reinstall the trans.

Not really a hard job. Take me about four hours to remove and reinstall. Just really dirty and lots of steps, heavy lifting, rolling around on your back.
zjosh93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2013, 11:17 AM   #3
MatthewBaker88
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Ok thanks but I read about some inverted or reversed torx screws or something on the top of the transmission is that one this jeep also
Unread 07-19-2013, 11:26 AM   #4
zjosh93
1993 ZJ 

On my 93 they are all just regular hex bolts. The filter screws are torx but nothing outside the pan. Maybe the 96 is different?
zjosh93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2013, 12:14 PM   #5
Midnightluckey
1995 ZJ 

I only have experience with a 46rh, but afaik, the only torx bolts are in the pan, holding on the filter and valve body. Everything else is hex heads.
95 Limited Chargold ZJ 5.2L -5.5" lift (IRO, Ironman, and RC parts), 33" BFG M/T's, 15x8 procomp crawlers, 242 swap, 2 12" subs, 1000w amp, cherry bomb, full skid package, Kevins rear stealth bumper clone w 3/4" D rings, Rlcwelding front bumper w 3/8" D rings, XRC-8, front tow hooks, 2 daylighter fairlead lights, 2 daylighter windsheild lights, 2 55w driving lights, OBA, Cobra 18 CB, dual 4' whips, RC disconnects, smittybuilt jack, optima yellowtop.
Built not bought #512
Midnightluckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2014, 02:57 PM   #6
MatthewBaker88
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Now this transmission has went out its a winding noise even in park and it shifts really rough... Any suggestions

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.