Need Advice: Replacing the rear end. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Need Advice: Replacing the rear end.

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 06-03-2003, 12:24 PM   #1
Brian's 97 ZJ
1997 ZJ 

Need Advice: Replacing the rear end.

97' GCL, I-6, 242 t-case, No drivetrain or suspension mods.

Ok, so the time has come to completely replace my rear end assembly. About 60k miles ago I had the differential serviced and rebuilt with the exception of the ring and pinion gears (service tech said that although they would be noisy due to a previous improper grinding session that they had together they would otherwise be fine). This was not the case and now I'm looking at doing the rebuild all over again or replacing the rear axle assembly with a salvaged unit.

Here is my question:

Do I put in another Dana/Spicer 35 or do I replace it with something else? Dealer wants $1800+ to do the rebuild and a salvaged assembly is $800. I could probably do the rebuild myself, but I'm nervous about getting the torque and back spacing settings correct.

* I would one day like to do some off-roading with this vehicle. At which time I would be looking to mod the suspension and wheels. Does it make more sense to replace the assembly with a stronger one now or do it later? What is a good replacement for the current assembly? I'm aware of gearing the front assembly to match that of the rear.

Advice?

Thanks!

Brian

Last edited by Brian's 97 ZJ; 06-03-2003 at 01:40 PM..
Brian's 97 ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2003, 01:04 PM   #2
5.9ZJPR

That's a big question. I assume you don't go off-road since no suspension mods, so heavy-duty reliability isn't an issue. Do you tow trailers? If I were you, I'd probably find a top-notch rear-end guy to rebuild a D35 or a D44. Don't go back to the dealer.
'98 White 5.9 ZJ, ASD's, Towing Package, 3.5" RE Lift, OME Shocks, Rusty's TC Skid, OME Steering Stab, MOPAR Steering Skid, 245-75/R16 Pirelli Scorpion A/T's on stock 16 x 7 wheels, Rusty's Front Tow Hooks, Kevin's Sliderz
5.9ZJPR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2003, 02:35 PM   #3
Texas ZJ1
Jeep Jedi Master

1994 ZJ 

Dude,

I second what 5.9 said. IF you want more strength, you could even go with a super 35 for a complete replacement for less than that stealership price.

Hunter

94 5.9 Laredo 6.5 RE lift with 35 Maxxis Bighorns
and 33 Bridgestone Duelers
Detroit and true trac
Red Jeep Club Member
REDNECK JCM
Texas Jeep Owner #6
USN Jeep Club #4
http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/

For your performance needs:

kolak@kolakperformance.com
Texas ZJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2003, 02:54 PM   #4
Brian's 97 ZJ
1997 ZJ 

Super 35?

After this problem is corrected (again) I believe the stealership and I will be going to court. I (and others) have had trouble with poor service work from them. Here is the current situation with them: I took it in to have the rear output shaft seal replaced on my t-case for the 3rd time (housing was cracked and they had missed it on the first 2 attempts at repair). During this repair, the noticed that the shaft seal on the front differential was leaking and replaced it (without my knowledge or consent). I left the dealership that night and noticed it was making a quiet, but different, noise than just the rear end grinding. After getting it home, I had to make a quick trip to my fiance's house. Upon backing up, the drivetrain was making a horrid grinding sound now coming from the front! (Note: At this point in time their service tech had not messed with the rear end at any time, only the t-case and the front diff seal.) So I call them up and explain the situation, take it back and they tell me that the rear is transferring the noise through the drive train and that it won't go away until I repair/replace the rear assembly. They won't even look at the front end to see if their tech screwed something up on the seal replacement (lost a shim, whatever...).

If you can provide me with either links or contacts to companies that can help, it would be greatly appreciated.

Brian
Brian's 97 ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2003, 05:17 AM   #5
Texas ZJ1
Jeep Jedi Master

1994 ZJ 

Brian,

sorry to hear about your drivetrain. Lots of grand owners do acles swaps to increase the durability and strength of the drivetrain. The super 35 is a kit that includes axles and usually a detroit locker.

Hunter

94 5.9 Laredo 6.5 RE lift with 35 Maxxis Bighorns
and 33 Bridgestone Duelers
Detroit and true trac
Red Jeep Club Member
REDNECK JCM
Texas Jeep Owner #6
USN Jeep Club #4
http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/

For your performance needs:

kolak@kolakperformance.com
Texas ZJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.